F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley size on Project 8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Pulley size on Project 8?

I was watching a review of the Project 8 on Harry's Garage YouTube channel, and he mentions that JLR uses a different size SC pulley on the Project 8 implementation of the 5.0L. I'm wondering if this is actually true. If so, it might be of potential use to you V8 F-type owners, because you could presumably source an upgraded OEM Jaguar pulley and run the Project 8 tune.

Maybe someone can confirm/deny?

Here's the video (engine description starts at 5:21):

The following users liked this post:
u102768 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Ha, I see from the dyno run at 6:44 that my 5 litre XKR has got more torque than a Project 8, 523 lb ft v 506 lb ft and that is from 3450 rpm v 4310 rpm.

There is more room in the back though!

Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

IF it does have a different pulley (Harry doesn't specify if it's a smaller upper pulley or a larger lower pulley) then I bet it will be the same situation as the Project 7 grille - you will need a genuine Project 8 VIN to get the pulley (and belt?) and it won't come cheap.
I doubt very much that the pulley(s) would be much if any different from those offered by VAP, Eurotoys etc.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Ha, I see from the dyno run at 6:44 that my 5 litre XKR has got more torque than a Project 8, 523 lb ft v 506 lb ft and that is from 3450 rpm v 4310 rpm.

There is more room in the back though!
Originally Posted by OzXFR
IF it does have a different pulley (Harry doesn't specify if it's a smaller upper pulley or a larger lower pulley) then I bet it will be the same situation as the Project 7 grille - you will need a genuine Project 8 VIN to get the pulley (and belt?) and it won't come cheap.
I doubt very much that the pulley(s) would be much if any different from those offered by VAP, Eurotoys etc.

I don't think it does have a smaller pulley, I think its an error by Harry.
He also says an SVR has an engine cover, when it does not.

Also he ran his car on the same dyno / place (Litchfield) as I ran my SVR and my SVR made just as much power but a lot more torque:

So my SVR makes same power as Project 8, either JLR/SVO really under-rate the SVR or I have a good one, you could argue its just a happy dyno but I also have a PB of 11.1@126mph quarter mile, so car is strong.
I've never dyno'd since adding the cone filters as per GT4 SVR setup which is claimed to add around 15HP. The above dyno was the car totally standard.

alphakinase (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 AM

My suspicion is also that Harry is incorrect. But it seems like an odd thing to have made up on accident, which is why I asked you all. If there is a different pulley (upper or lower) I would think JLR has used the setup to increase torque down low rather than to change the peak horsepower number.

Gibbo - I see you have more peak torque, but how does the shape of your torque curve differ from the P8? That may give a clue.

Also, if it were the lower pulley that were swapped on the P8, it might be beneficial over the aftermarket options if it had the harmonic balancer.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
My suspicion is also that Harry is incorrect. But it seems like an odd thing to have made up on accident, which is why I asked you all. If there is a different pulley (upper or lower) I would think JLR has used the setup to increase torque down low rather than to change the peak horsepower number.

Gibbo - I see you have more peak torque, but how does the shape of your torque curve differ from the P8? That may give a clue.

Also, if it were the lower pulley that were swapped on the P8, it might be beneficial over the aftermarket options if it had the harmonic balancer.

You can see his dyno plot video here:

Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 PM

So the redline on the P8 is quite a bit higher than what you ran yours out to Gibbo - 6500 rpm for Harry's vs. 6240 rpm on your run. In addition, the torque curve is quite a bit flatter, particularly at lower RPM, despite being lower than your SVR throughout. So since torque overall was lower, looks like they bumped up the redline just a hair to get that peak number of 600+ HP back.

At minimum, the tunes are clearly different. And this certainly wouldn't rule out a swapped pulley, but doesn't confirm anything either.

Note that the scaling on the vertical axes is identical to your attached printout.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
So the redline on the P8 is quite a bit higher than what you ran yours out to Gibbo - 6500 rpm for Harry's vs. 6240 rpm on your run. In addition, the torque curve is quite a bit flatter, particularly at lower RPM, despite being lower than your SVR throughout. So since torque overall was lower, looks like they bumped up the redline just a hair to get that peak number of 600+ HP back.

At minimum, the tunes are clearly different. And this certainly wouldn't rule out a swapped pulley, but doesn't confirm anything either.

Note that the scaling on the vertical axes is identical to your attached printout.

No they are both same, redline is around 6500rpm, when the dyno operator sets up the car the dyno request the operator holds the car at 3000 or 3500rpm from memory and of course when they do this they do not always press the button when the car is at exactly the target RPM and hence the axis can always be a little out, not sure about other dyno's but that is how a maha works as I've run a few cars on those dyno's previously and just for power runs your never to bothered about getting that bit spot on as it has no outcome on final results apart from just the peak power RPM limiter been reached a few RPM earlier or later according to the computer. Both cars cut fuel at 6500/6600rpm I believe.

alphakinase (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:34 AM

Ah, that explains it then! Thanks

Old 11-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

But any rolling road run means bugger all unless you run two cars identical or not on the same rolling road one after the other on the same day.
I could go to my local one and get 600 or one miles away and get 650, you need two plus cars to get a true feel of what the difference is.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:19 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
But any rolling road run means bugger all unless you run two cars identical or not on the same rolling road one after the other on the same day.
I could go to my local one and get 600 or one miles away and get 650, you need two plus cars to get a true feel of what the difference is.
rolling road dyno don't have a very good reputation for accuracy or consistency.

When viewing these plots I am always amazed by the amount of power claimed to have been lost due to drag, in region of 20% or 120bhp in this case lost between crankshaft and wheels?

One final point about both these plots is a concern about inlet air temperature measurement.

The best air to air or air to water to air intercooler would be very impressive if it could cool boosted air to 5°C above ambient temperature.

No cooling system without some kind of refrigeration is going to get to 5°C below ambient as is shown on both these plots.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
rolling road dyno don't have a very good reputation for accuracy or consistency.

When viewing these plots I am always amazed by the amount of power claimed to have been lost due to drag, in region of 20% or 120bhp in this case lost between crankshaft and wheels?

One final point about both these plots is a concern about inlet air temperature measurement.

The best air to air or air to water to air intercooler would be very impressive if it could cool boosted air to 5°C above ambient temperature.

No cooling system without some kind of refrigeration is going to get to 5°C below ambient as is shown on both these plots.
Good catch!

Old 11-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They do say "intake air" which, as I understand it, is different from "air inlet". I had a similar reading on a dyno pull for one of my mustangs, and the tuner explained it as one sensor being under the car as part of the dyno itself and affected by things like exhaust pipe radiant heat, the other being at the nose of the car and measuring the air that is being blown by the giant fan from elsewhere in the shop (or outside in some cases). I wouldn't call that a cause for concern since it's not actually factored into any of the measurements - it's simply there as a point of reference. If you have a different understanding of those numbers and how they impact results, I'd love to know.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

How funny! A few months ago I was at a dyn events and there was an SVR. He actually covered the intercooler radiator (horizontally mounted in front of he actual radiator) with crushed ice. Not truly applicable on the road but it was funny to watch

Old 11-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FType17
How funny! A few months ago I was at a dyn events and there was an SVR. He actually covered the intercooler radiator (horizontally mounted in front of he actual radiator) with crushed ice. Not truly applicable on the road but it was funny to watch
I wonder how much that increased the IAT. Blocking airflow across the radiator with anything can’t be very helpful. lol

Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if it is smaller, considering that the 5.0SC Bosch Engines, even in the FType SVR are opening the bypass valve in the blower and bleeding off boost. Why add mechanical boost if you already have the capacity to make it? The only reason would be to add more mid-range or low end torque. However, when you think about the sheer volume of engines being produced, to change production to make a very limited number of cars with a 62mm upper pulley instead of the normal 65mm, when you can already make more boost with software.... It would be unusual to say the least.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if it is smaller, considering that the 5.0SC Bosch Engines, even in the FType SVR are opening the bypass valve in the blower and bleeding off boost. Why add mechanical boost if you already have the capacity to make it? The only reason would be to add more mid-range or low end torque. However, when you think about the sheer volume of engines being produced, to change production to make a very limited number of cars with a 62mm upper pulley instead of the normal 65mm, when you can already make more boost with software.... It would be unusual to say the least.
Keep in mind, the V-6 already comes with a 62 mm upper pulley. Using that instead of the standard V-8 upper pulley probably wouldn’t be that much of a production challenge.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Keep in mind, the V-6 already comes with a 62 mm upper pulley. Using that instead of the standard V-8 upper pulley probably wouldn’t be that much of a production challenge.
Eaton supplies JLR with the blowers with the pulley already installed, so they would have to order the V8 blower with the V6 pulley. Totally possible, and again I could be wrong, I just can't understand why they would do it when there's already boost left in the 65mm setup.

I guess the way to find out is check the parts catalog and see if the P8 Supercharger is a different part number to the regular V8?

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Eaton supplies JLR with the blowers with the pulley already installed, so they would have to order the V8 blower with the V6 pulley. Totally possible, and again I could be wrong, I just can't understand why they would do it when there's already boost left in the 65mm setup.

I guess the way to find out is check the parts catalog and see if the P8 Supercharger is a different part number to the regular V8?
All you say makes sense. Tune alone should be sufficient.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Don't forget it's a $190K car, so logic doesn't necessarily have to apply.

Quick Reply: Pulley size on Project 8?