F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarterly NorCal Traveling Circus!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Quarterly NorCal Traveling Circus!

Alright, the first even was all I hoped and more. Just getting together F-Type owners for a fun, relaxing event. Here's my thoughts going forward.

Once a quarter (IMO monthly is too frequent), someone comes up with a good place to meet and we head over there. My thoughts are it should be no/low cost, but if it's something real cool, let's explore the idea, have a big parking lot and something unique to your area. Every quarter, a new person can play host to the event. Pic a date time (I recommend a weekend around noon as that's easiest). I started with the VotM Winery. There are many micro breweries, go cart tracks, local car events, etc. We have 'The Original Eleven', but we are in no way limited to this group for playing host.

I'm willing to put on some miles to do something fun. I think the trick is to just pick a date and destination and then everything else can grow from that. At the VotM event, we had people meeting up at various places for mini drives.

So who wants to jump on the next one? Summer 2019 NorCal Meet!

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Gas Cat (04-07-2019), Sonoman (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fish - what do you say? Do you want to work on this with me?

Old 04-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I don't want to immediately assume everyone would come to Marin from Sac or down South, so I'm open to Santa Cruz area, or Sac. If we did it here, I can imagine a Pt Reyes run being supremely fun, and we could organize a meeting spot so we have more of a drive, all together, prior to heading west from the 101 around Marin. Southern Marin is a fairly "middle of the road" spot for Sac and South Bay people to all meet up.
Limantour Beach has a sizeable parking lot?
https://goo.gl/maps/b8umW8DNye42

We could meet in Marin, head up over Lucas Valley Road (someone mentioned a less traveled one) vs hoofing it over the Stinson pass? - out past Nicasio Reservoir and Olema to Limantour Beach, which has a sizeable parking lot.
I've done a large group event at Osteria Stellina, a cute little Italian spot in Pt Reyes Station. then we could head north and hit a winery in Occidental or head north then east to go to sebastopol.
The Limantour drive can be elective earlier in the AM like 10am, and we could do noon lunch at Pt Reyes station, and plan a winery (or not) heading north and back east?

https://goo.gl/maps/NaFFtDBqSor

Or we could scrap this wholly and figure something else out. It's just a start and brainstorming is a group activity. =)

But I do think our cars lined up at the beach would be super duper.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like a great spot. If you guys go around July or August would give me a chance to drive up and get out the the heat. After I could go up to Elk, I know a great little B&B up there we stayed at a few years back, I could check out the Humbolt harvest while I am there.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

I love the idea of the beach.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (04-11-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I don't want to immediately assume everyone would come to Marin from Sac or down South, so I'm open to Santa Cruz area, or Sac. If we did it here, I can imagine a Pt Reyes run being supremely fun, and we could organize a meeting spot so we have more of a drive, all together, prior to heading west from the 101 around Marin. Southern Marin is a fairly "middle of the road" spot for Sac and South Bay people to all meet up.
Limantour Beach has a sizeable parking lot?
https://goo.gl/maps/b8umW8DNye42

We could meet in Marin, head up over Lucas Valley Road (someone mentioned a less traveled one) vs hoofing it over the Stinson pass? - out past Nicasio Reservoir and Olema to Limantour Beach, which has a sizeable parking lot.
I've done a large group event at Osteria Stellina, a cute little Italian spot in Pt Reyes Station. then we could head north and hit a winery in Occidental or head north then east to go to sebastopol.
The Limantour drive can be elective earlier in the AM like 10am, and we could do noon lunch at Pt Reyes station, and plan a winery (or not) heading north and back east?

https://goo.gl/maps/NaFFtDBqSor

Or we could scrap this wholly and figure something else out. It's just a start and brainstorming is a group activity. =)

But I do think our cars lined up at the beach would be super duper.
I'm onboard for this. Drake's Beach also has a large parking lot area.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Someday we'll have to do the obligatory breakfast at Alice's in Woodside, down to the coast past San Gregorio, south through Davenport and down to Santa Cruz...always epic.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by STMPY
Someday we'll have to do the obligatory breakfast at Alice's in Woodside, down to the coast past San Gregorio, south through Davenport and down to Santa Cruz...always epic.
I sued to go over there for the motorcycle crowd but gave it up. A few of the hundreds of riders that went started to treat it as a race, some crashed, CHP got tired of calling for helicopters to airlift them, so started policing heavily. Not to my taste. That was a long time ago, so maybe things have settled. That's a nice route, and a nice area. JAG has a regular event at the Moss Beach Distillery.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

I know Alice's and the motorcycles reminds me of a place in Colorado called Kermitts, that closed a few years back after a fire. I always want to go there, but it's chaos.
But also reminds me of this Easy Rider throwback Merc ad:

Old 04-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu Sethu
I'm onboard for this. Drake's Beach also has a large parking lot area.
Gas Cat and I are finding a day to scout. Prolly a Sunday AM in the next few weeks. ANYONE ELSE IS WELCOME TO SCOUT.

Drake might be better/larger.... Gas Cat had a good point that Limantour isn't the biggest, and the lot is a bit rough for finicky owners who dislike potholes. =)

I assume we tie a beach to a picnic, instead of trying to find the space and time at a restaurant or winery?

Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm always up for a trip to a Marin beach. Does anyone know of an attachment for the f type
so i can bring a bbq?

Gas Cat (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by STMPY
Can you still get anything you want, excepting Alice?

STMPY (04-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Okay... gas cat and I are eager, and throwing out a "pre-emptive" drive, open to all drivers, whether East Coast, Southland, or actually nearby. LOL

I know we're in the "middle" of NorCal, but with life being complex, it's not fair to ask Sac people or Santa Cruz people to always meet in Marin/Sonoma area, but here we go....Gas Cat and I are going to cruise on Sunday the 5th.

This is more of a drive, but we'll plan a picnic at the end destination. I get uppity about my picnic foods, but there's a subway at the start point, so that could be simple/easy.Novato has a HUGE and freaking awesome cars and coffee. I've got to imagine 400 cars easily. Vintage Oaks in Novato, 7ish - 9.30ish. This would be the meeting point. Spots go REALLY early, especially for Porsche, VW, Volvo, Challenger, Charger groups, so if it's more than 3 or 4 cars, I would say to arrive by 6.45am, which is insane to some people.

But for people who value sleep, we'll leave approx 9.30am.

From there, we drive out to Dillon Beach, or Pt Reyes South Beach? We can plan to pick up picnic stuff?South Beach lot is GIGANTIC: https://goo.gl/maps/yrR27jkDx132

Drake's beach is big too: https://goo.gl/maps/3WKn4363QwxSo that's the still gelling plan! Thoughts?

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Misujerr (04-16-2019), STMPY (04-17-2019)