F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2017 V6 exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about 2017 V6 exhaust sound

I rented a 2017 F type coupe for the weekend, base model, so I could make sure I love it before buying. Awesome car, but something that threw me is the exhaust sound. I’ve read everywhere that it’s supposed to sound amazing, but when we drove it around today, it struck both my wife and I as being pretty tinny sounding and weak. I realize something like sound is subjective, but has anyone else felt this way about the V6?

I ask because I’m wondering if there’s an option on the car I rented that lessens the exhaust sound? I know there’s active exhaust as a package, etc..

Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

The base model does NOT have the active exhaust. So under normal driving, the sound can be considered, uh, sedate.

Before you condemn it, drive it in Dynamic/Sport mode (shifter towards the driver). Let 'er RIP. THEN see what you think. But I can tell you now, it isn't the unmuffled glory of the Sport variants.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
The base model does NOT have the active exhaust. So under normal driving, the sound can be considered, uh, sedate.

Before you condemn it, drive it in Dynamic/Sport mode (shifter towards the driver). Let 'er RIP. THEN see what you think. But I can tell you now, it isn't the unmuffled glory of the Sport variants.
Hmm is moving the shifter to the left a different mode than just pressing the dynamic mode toggle down?

Old 04-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Dynamic/Sport allows the engine to REV in the automatic mode.

As someone mentioned recently, you are paying for the entire tachometer. Why not use it?

SWEET...

Old 04-19-2019, 07:07 PM

Sorry.. Still confused. Are you saying if I’m in normal drive mode, and turn on dynamic mode, that doesn’t affect exhaust sound? And sport mode does?

And are you saying it revs higher in sport mode?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by maxiedaniels
I rented a 2017 F type coupe for the weekend, base model, so I could make sure I love it before buying. Awesome car, but something that threw me is the exhaust sound. I’ve read everywhere that it’s supposed to sound amazing, but when we drove it around today, it struck both my wife and I as being pretty tinny sounding and weak. I realize something like sound is subjective, but has anyone else felt this way about the V6?

I ask because I’m wondering if there’s an option on the car I rented that lessens the exhaust sound? I know there’s active exhaust as a package, etc..
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels
Sorry.. Still confused. Are you saying if I’m in normal drive mode, and turn on dynamic mode, that doesn’t affect exhaust sound? And sport mode does?

And are you saying it revs higher in sport mode?
What he’s saying is that you’ll get lots of sound over 4000 rpm.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Are you saying if I’m in normal drive mode, and turn on dynamic mode, that doesn’t affect exhaust sound?
Yes.

The exhaust note is a constant on a Base car. There are no switchable, alternate paths for the exhaust to take. This is the same whether you are in normal D or Dynamic. Throttle response is different and the engine seems to rev a little more freely.

OTOH, .in Dynamic with the shifter to the left (Sport mode), the engine hangs in gear and explores the upper reaches of the RPM band with vigor. This is the 'traditional' way to get those exhaust sounds.

Hope that answers the question. Maybe you need to try it out!!