F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Plasti Dip Chrome Window Trim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:30 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Question: Plasti Dip Chrome Window Trim?

I am very close to changing the look of my new F Type by "blacking out" the chrome window trim. I must admit, I'm struggling with this decision on two levels. The first, just leave well enough alone and the second can I remove the plasti dip if it just did not hit the mark. My research indicates that the second concern should be a none issue. I appreciate the forums input as such, has anyone had experience with using plasti dip? Additionally, does the chrome trim look better than black? Please forgive the picture as it's late and the only one stored in my documents.

Thanks in advance...
Dave

Last edited by Tahoe Dave; 06-17-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Don't do it! The BRG needs the contrast of the chrome. The car looks perfect as it is. Perfect.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

Hmmm I appreciate it is a matter of taste, but personally I think BRG looks pretty hot with black trim and wheels eg https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-seats-131736/

I Plastidipped some silver trim on my daughter's Mazda2 with a fair degree of success and it has stuck on for about 4 months now with no dramas. I also plastidipped her spoiler off the car and it has been on no problems for nearly 2 years now, sitting out in the sun. I found it a bit of a bitch to use because it tears so easily in the application stage but maybe I had been impatient. The end result is pretty good though the satin has a rubbery look about it instead of the black plasticky look you would get from a gloss black wrap, which I think would suit the F type better. But for $10 a tin, it is probably worth while having a crack at it with plastidip and if you like the black look but not the finish, have it redone with wrap. The plastidip comes off very easily.

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 02:06 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

if you want to do a chrome delete, i don't recommend plastidip. wrapping is the way to go, it looks so much better.

JacksonvilleJag (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 04:16 AM
Received 272 Likes on 189 Posts

For me, BRG looks the best with black out trim as our old F Pace represents. What's the term? Murdered out!

Bruce and wurld both make great points. Plastidip would be cheap to see if you like it first, then perhaps wrap it if you decide to keep it. Personally, I think wrapping it would look best.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by wurldfamuz
if you want to do a chrome delete, i don't recommend plastidip. wrapping is the way to go, it looks so much better.
+1.... Also agree it is personal taste / preference. I have a post Here where I wrapped my vents, trim,and painted grill gloss black, and has lots of pics. I like the Gloss Black
also. Glad I wrapped it!

DC

Old 06-18-2020, 05:09 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Or you could do it "properly". ....

Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Or you could do it "properly". ....

https://youtu.be/EQ-P8Xjyh24
Interesting video. They take the time to rip the car apart (including removing the glass), and then paint the trim. Assuming the shop knew what they were doing, and properly scuffed, etched, primed, painted and used proper adhesion promoter, it may hold up OK.... But chrome is difficult to have paint adhere too. If they went through all of that trouble, seems they would have just purchased a set of Black trim from JLR? Also...They do all that removal, then just leave the brake calipers on and paint with a brush....Seems inconsistent.

When it comes to chrome pieces, Vinyl Wrap is the best course (especially 3M 1080/2080, Avery SW900, or VViViD XPO). Will hold up great, easy to re-apply if needed, and 100% reversible. You DO NOT want to try/use the cheap Chinese knockoffs on Fleabay...It will fail. I tested a number of even "better"brands (at least more expensive) from Amazon/eBay, and they are all pretty bad. The ones listed here are excellent for anyone wanting to wrap something. I was even able to temporarily wrap my Leaper with the good stuff, until my new wing arrived with new badges!

Take care,
DC

This is the Leaper I wrapped (playing around) while I waited for my new wing and badges to arrive. Even up close you could not tell. (I did take it off to wrap).

I wrapped all vents and trim with Vinyl also, and like how it turned out. Like it much better than chrome...But again, that is personal preference Some before and after Chrome to Black etc...for the OP: Some will love and some will hate....It is YOUR car, so do what you like
and enjoy it!

Rear Blacked out from Chrome...Also wrapped with blackout tint those lower rear valence lights, and Ceramic High Temp painted the exhaust tips.

Side after I wrapped with Gloss Black

Front surround from chrome to Black (also made new Growler and painted "R")

Old 06-18-2020, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Dave,

I have used a bit of PlastiDip on my truck. I also have an old set of wheels that I used for playing around. What I found:

It's really tough to get plastic dip to look smooth. It always seems to have some texture.
The Glossifier works OK.
It doesn't always peel off in a nice sheet. This depends on how you lay it on. Too thin, and it's a PITA to remove..

I would not recommend it on your Jag. If you want, you can look at the areas I PlastDipped on my truck. It's good for that application, but my truck is 23 years old with a 50/50 (50 feet or 50 mph) paint job. It's just a truck I use to run to the dump or pick up a yard of rock, etc. Heck, you can even try out the plastiDip on one of my spare wheels to see how you like it.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Dave,

I have used a bit of PlastiDip on my truck. I also have an old set of wheels that I used for playing around. What I found:

It's really tough to get plastic dip to look smooth. It always seems to have some texture.
The Glossifier works OK.
It doesn't always peel off in a nice sheet. This depends on how you lay it on. Too thin, and it's a PITA to remove..

I would not recommend it on your Jag. If you want, you can look at the areas I PlastDipped on my truck. It's good for that application, but my truck is 23 years old with a 50/50 (50 feet or 50 mph) paint job. It's just a truck I use to run to the dump or pick up a yard of rock, etc. Heck, you can even try out the plastiDip on one of my spare wheels to see how you like it.
Got it, just ordered a roll of vvivid vinyl tape which arrives on Saturday. Now, a trip to ACE Hardware so the Plasti Dip can back on their shelf.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Got it, just ordered a roll of vvivid vinyl tape which arrives on Saturday. Now, a trip to ACE Hardware so the Plasti Dip can back on their shelf.
Good call!...Check out my link in post#6 above as I put two videos with some good guidance on wrapping the trim.

Good luck,
DC

Old 06-19-2020, 03:06 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I am very close to changing the look of my new F Type by "blacking out" the chrome window trim. I must admit, I'm struggling with this decision on two levels. The first, just leave well enough alone and the second can I remove the plasti dip if it just did not hit the mark. My research indicates that the second concern should be a none issue. I appreciate the forums input as such, has anyone had experience with using plasti dip? Additionally, does the chrome trim look better than black? Please forgive the picture as it's late and the only one stored in my documents.

Thanks in advance...
Dave
here's link to a youtube video on ftype window trim chrome delete.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you wrap the side vents on the car or do they remove easily? I've never wrapped anything - is it difficult to do well?

Originally Posted by Therock88
When it comes to chrome pieces, Vinyl Wrap is the best course (especially 3M 1080/2080, Avery SW900, or VViViD XPO). Will hold up great, easy to re-apply if needed, and 100% reversible. You DO NOT want to try/use the cheap Chinese knockoffs on Fleabay...It will fail. I tested a number of even "better"brands (at least more expensive) from Amazon/eBay, and they are all pretty bad. The ones listed here are excellent for anyone wanting to wrap something. I was even able to temporarily wrap my Leaper with the good stuff, until my new wing arrived with new badges!

Take care,
DC

I wrapped all vents and trim with Vinyl also, and like how it turned out. Like it much better than chrome...But again, that is personal preference Some before and after Chrome to Black etc...for the OP: Some will love and some will hate....It is YOUR car, so do what you like
and enjoy it!

Front surround from chrome to Black (also made new Growler and painted "R")

Old 06-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TH3FRB
Did you wrap the side vents on the car or do they remove easily? I've never wrapped anything - is it difficult to do well?
I left them on the car as it is too easy to break the clips trying to remove them. "Difficult" is a relative term I would say to get some extra product, watch some videos, get a few tools for the job, and practice a bit.

Learning how to pull and create tension in the correct direction, and when and how much to heat is key. Overall, I do not find it difficult. Take your time, and just know you may mess up at times, and have to start over.
Always have a sharp blade when trimming, and get a few squeegees and the lil chizler is great. Also...Buy good material. 3M or VVivid...Avery. Cheap stuff is hard to apply and will peel off.

It is a very good feeling though, when you are done, and you did it correctly, and it looks great.

Good luck.
DC

Old 06-24-2020, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

I find it pretty hard to wrap the corners of things to be honest. I usually wrap things myself to get an idea of what look I like then take it to a pro for the final job. Because of the cost of decent wrap and the amount you throw away, I think the cost of getting a pro to do it isnt much more than doing it yourself. That said I find cf wrap easier to work with than other kinds, possibly the air holes in it help, and the colour is more forgiving.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I find it pretty hard to wrap the corners of things to be honest. I usually wrap things myself to get an idea of what look I like then take it to a pro for the final job. Because of the cost of decent wrap and the amount you throw away, I think the cost of getting a pro to do it isnt much more than doing it yourself. That said I find cf wrap easier to work with than other kinds, possibly the air holes in it help, and the colour is more forgiving.
Yes...Corners can be tricky. I made the image below to show how to make the corners sharp and crisp, for anyone trying it(this is just a sample pic, not a good corner job). Carbon Fiber wrap is definitely more forgiving - UNLESS - you overstretch it!....Then you get a wavy pattern in it that makes the car look dented

DC

scm (06-25-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 02:45 AM
Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

I did both plastidip and vinyl wrap window trim on my old G37. The problem with plastidip is it gets in between all the little cracks that you will never be able to get it out of. I then took that off and vinyl wrapped it myself (probably a 7.5/10 job, my first time) and it looked much better than the plastidip.