F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race to the Bottom

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:03 AM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Couple things to remember. There are some countries in the world where luxury taxes on stuff like this have gone through the roof. And countries where road taxes/permitting are based on displacement.

Some Scandinavian countries for example, a 2.0L FType might cost 2 or 3 times what it costs in North America.

I think we're seeing car makers react to legislation & increasing taxation & costs with products that walk the line.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 01-20-2019, 09:26 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
And countries where road taxes/permitting are based on displacement.
In March 2017 the UK changed from emissions-based charging to vehicle cost, so an i-Pace now attracts the same tax as an F-Type (460 this year)! That'll teach the tree-huggers.

Plus there's a massive surcharge for the first year, around 1500 for a V8 F-Type.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
Rumors the mid engine C8 Vette has a lighter weight, lower hp, V6 twin turbo, Ford GT style.
Nope, it's a V-8 and I seriously doubt that it will be much if any lighter. There is talk that within the next year or so, Corvette will go to AWD, which it desperately needs. It's hard to put 770 HP to the ground with RD only. Chevrolet will do it like most ultra high performance cars do - by adding electric drive motors to the front wheels.

Last edited by O'Dell; 01-21-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:33 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by O'Dell
Nope, it's a V-8 and I seriously doubt that it will be much if any lighter. There is talk that within the next year or so, Corvette will go to AWD, which it desperately needs. It's hard to put 770 HP to the ground with RD only. Chevrolet will do it like most ultra high performance cars do - by adding electric drive motors to the front wheels.
AWD would be a shame, Vette owners love RWD as do Jag owners IMO. Personally, I don't think its smart at all, another costly nanny feature that soaks up power and is very expensive to buy and maintain.

Adding electric AWD will put the final nail in the Corvette coffin, a disastrous idea especially for the demographic. The quick death of Tesla illustrates the absurd business case for replacing $50,000 batteries and numerous drive motors every few years.

Overall, the senseless mid-engine C8 illustrates the stunning failure of new management to know anything, or even care about their customers. It's rampant. It's why the sports car industry is in freefall collapse.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-21-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
AWD would be a shame, Vette owners love RWD as do Jag owners IMO. Personally, I don't think its smart at all, another costly nanny feature that soaks up power and is very expensive to buy and maintain.

Adding electric AWD will put the final nail in the Corvette coffin, a disastrous idea especially for the demographic. The quick death of Tesla illustrates the absurd business case for replacing $50,000 batteries and numerous drive motors every few years.

Overall, the senseless mid-engine C8 illustrates the stunning failure of new management to know anything, or even care about their customers. It's rampant. It's why the sports car industry is in freefall collapse.
The AWD Corvette will almost certainly be a premium version, maybe the new ZR1. The battery will be small like Porsche, Ferrari, and others, as this is not an EV. Chevrolet will have to keep the price of the base model reasonable, about 68 to 75K, or risk leaving their customers behind. The mid-engine configuration should provide better handling and somewhat better rear wheel traction than the C7. I'm sure that the Corvette Racing Team will love it in their effort to keep up with the Ford GT's.

I think that there will be a lot of bargain C7's on the market. I personally like the C8 platform and it's being receive quite well on the Corvette Forum, unlike the 2014 C7. However, I have no plans to replace my F-Type R anytime soon.