F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent satellite radio troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recent satellite radio troubles?

I live here in lovely Tampa florida. I have a base 2107 f type convertible. I packed her up in the garage for the hurricane and when I took her out Tuesday the safelite radio updated like immediately. After that I lose signal all the time. Not sure if the terrestrial system downtown Tampa isn't working because of hurricane damage or the radio is working for garbage. Anyone else having issues?

Old 09-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Mine recently did a long update. Did not come back on till I went to FM and then back to satellite.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I am down south of you in Punta Gorda. Had a similar problem, but just turned the radio off, let it sit (reboot?) and then back on. It worked fine after it seemed to 'reload' the channels. There were a couple of channel realignments I think that may have coincided with the storm. Sirus group is also not the sharpest knife is the drawer also.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine doesn't ever cut out, but the sound quality may as well be as if I'm listening to it underwater. Need to get around to cancelling.

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

I was also going to chime in and say that from the beginning - about 3 years ago - SIRIUS Radio (which I actually like) sucks in the Jag. Yes I stream from various devices but my wife's 2006 BMW 325xi Wagon, which has SIRIUS, sounds spectacular. Go figure...although I don't bother.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

All I know is cancelling Sirius is a pain. They don't like to be told goodbye. Must call and listen to all their BS and whining. Good riddance.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
All I know is cancelling Sirius is a pain. They don't like to be told goodbye. Must call and listen to all their BS and whining. Good riddance.
I have about 6 months left on my subscription and just might cancel then...(but only due to the horrendous sound quality). Why it sounds so poor when my wife's 11-year old car sounds so great I do not know.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

My sat sounds worse than the other modes too. Three months free, another five months for $25, about to expire, just got an e/m today about a two month free trial... For free I'll do it...

Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Our 2 subscriptions run out in Oct. They want way to much for the service (~$330/year) and I told them so. I told them that if they don't come to their senses about pricing, to cancel my service when the subscription runs out.

What I know about Sirius is that if cancel, they will find all kinds of promotions to keep you. I'm looking for at least 50% savings.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Our 2 subscriptions run out in Oct. They want way to much for the service (~$330/year) and I told them so. I told them that if they don't come to their senses about pricing, to cancel my service when the subscription runs out.

What I know about Sirius is that if cancel, they will find all kinds of promotions to keep you. I'm looking for at least 50% savings.
Demand more. I got them down to less than $100/yr last time. You gotta be willing to walk.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Weather affects satellite reception.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Demand more. I got them down to less than $100/yr last time. You gotta be willing to walk.
Why would I walk when I can drive a Jaguar F-Type U?! I don't know WTF you're talking about.

Oh....

I agree completely as I've always been able to get it - including taxes - just over $100 (and that goes back the 10 years I've had my BMW).

Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can’t believe that turning the radio off and on has seemed to have worked. Wouldn’t that be the same as turning the car off and on or switching to radio and back? I guess not because just turning it off and on worked.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jlgti
I can’t believe that turning the radio off and on has seemed to have worked. Wouldn’t that be the same as turning the car off and on or switching to radio and back? I guess not because just turning it off and on worked.
Keep in mind: these truly are the descendents of the Prince of Darkness. No logic is involved.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

When you cancel with them they 'hold' the credit for you. Never seen any company not just refund your CC. Very odd.

As if you are just chomping at the bit to renew with a different car. No, they can keep their AM radio.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

i finally got Sirius to stop contacting me within the past few months. I cancelled service over 2 years ago. I will never open that door again.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
i finally got Sirius to stop contacting me within the past few months. I cancelled service over 2 years ago. I will never open that door again.
Haha...cancelled the service few years ago when my time was up with the BMW. Since then I keep getting harassed (I mean, dutifully reminded by the company on an almost daily basis) with emails and postage. The savings they offer are almost tempting but as Nati says...will never open that door...especially since it sounds so horrible in the Jag.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I was listening to the classical channel on SiriusXM last night, when it hit me - sounded just like an old 78. And I don't think it was the recording.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I was listening to the classical channel on SiriusXM last night, when it hit me - sounded just like an old 78. And I don't think it was the recording.
Jussi Bjorling? The Pearl Fishers???

I just don't get it. Here I have a 2015 Jaguar V6S F-Type and while the [upgraded] stereo system is pretty good when it comes to listening to CD's or streaming from any of my portable devices, when it comes to SIRIUS it sucks! Yet my wife's 2006 BMW, with SIRIUS, sounds fantastic! (Separately, an automobile is not the greatest of places for "quality" audio. Still, I would expect more and some cars actually deliver).

Separately still, I recently had to replace one of my office computers - a fantastic 17-inch HP Pavilion which served me beautifully for many years - and bought a 17-inch Envy with built-in Bang & Olufsen speakers. (I did not buy it for the B & O speakers as I use wonderful crisp and clear external speakers - audioengine 2's). BUT whether I use the internal speakers OR my audioengine 2's the sound coming out from either SUCKS!!! I removed the drivers and reinstalled them and the sound still sucks. Thankfully the computer itself works magnificently. Unfortunately, there's never a time when music isn't playing in my office, home, or, yes, car.

I guess the point being - and I have NEVER been a sucker for name-brand marketing, advertising, etc. - not everything a name like Meridian or Bang & Olufsen represents (at least to the "average" consumer), or used to represent, means diddysquat!

Maria Callas? Tosca???

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-26-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Jussi Bjorling? The Pearl Fishers???

I just don't get it. Here I have a 2015 Jaguar V6S F-Type and while the [upgraded] stereo system is pretty good when it comes to listening to CD's or streaming from any of my portable devices, when it comes to SIRIUS it sucks! Yet my wife's 2006 BMW, with SIRIUS, sounds fantastic! (Separately, an automobile is not the greatest of places for "quality" audio. Still, I would expect more and some cars actually deliver).

Separately still, I recently had to replace one of my office computers - a fantastic 17-inch HP Pavilion which served me beautifully for many years - and bought a 17-inch Envy with built-in Bang & Olufsen speakers. (I did not buy it for the B & O speakers as I use wonderful crisp and clear external speakers - audioengine 2's). BUT whether I use the internal speakers OR my audioengine 2's the sound coming out from either SUCKS!!! I removed the drivers and reinstalled them and the sound still sucks. Thankfully the computer itself works magnificently. Unfortunately, there's never a time when music isn't playing in my office, home, or, yes, car.

I guess the point being - and I have NEVER been a sucker for name-brand marketing, advertising, etc. - not everything a name like Meridian or Bang & Olufsen represents (at least to the "average" consumer), or used to represent, means diddysquat!

Maria Callas? Tosca???
On the audio stuff, I have to profess ignorance. I always thought of Meridian as a middle of the road offering available in a variety of big box stores. I was surprised early in my investigations of the F-Type that it was saddled with less than a stellar audio offering, and was therefore not particularly surprised or irked when it did not live up to an expectation I would have had of a Burmester, B&W, B&O or Naim.