F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts

I tried to find an answer to my question on this forum and elsewhere on the net, and now my brain hurts.

I used to own the 2016 F-type base model. I purchased aftermarket 19" Braelin rims for my winter setup. The rims have a staggered setup (like the stock) with +45offset in the front and +25 in the rear.

I have since upgraded to the 2018 F-type R-Dynamic with the upgraded red caliper brakes - 380mm front AND 376mm rear.

Just not sure if the 19" winter rims will clear the brakes on the R-Dynamic. For your viewing pleasure, I also had the winter rims powder coated from the original silver (see before and after pics).

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts-rimsnew.jpg   Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts-rimsold.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Um, why not try one?

Old 11-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

OEM 19" F-Type rims will clear for sure, but after-market rims maybe not. I'm talking front 380 mm brakes/calipers only, pretty much anything will clear the puny rear calipers even the 376 mm ones.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

How wide are the wheels? What are the offsets?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
How wide are the wheels? What are the offsets?
OP specified offsets in the OP. Those wheels push the face out 10mm in front and 13mm in back. Should make for a good look.

OP, as suggested, carefully bolt up a wheel to the front. You should know even before torqueing the lug nuts whether there is any interference.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-08-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
OP specified offsets in the OP. Those wheels push the face out 10mm in front and 13mm in back. Should make for a good look.
Ahh I read over the offsets but what about the wheel widths?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Ahh I read over the offsets but what about the wheel widths?
Doh! You're right. My offset answer is based on 9" fronts and 10.5" rears.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:57 AM

Should have noted sizes:

Front: 8.5"
Rear: 9.5"

I'm going to just try to bolt them on tonight. It's the only way (as noted) to just figure this out definitively.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

It's not going to be possible to know, since the interior 'barrel' of the wheel is not a known constant based on wheel dimensions.

As others have said, you just going to have to try putting them on. Your brain hurts because it's a question that is not possible to answer...

Old 11-11-2017, 07:08 PM

CRAP! The 19's don't fit. On the front they appeared to be off by a few millimetres -- the tire turns but I could hear it was scraping against something at certain points in the rotation -- so, they don't fit because of the fronts.

I didn't see it scraping against the actual front or top of the calliper so it must be catching something at the back. Dare I even suggest trying to use a spacer
-- would that even help in this situation given that the space i need is at the back of the wheel? Or should I just sell these and buy new rims -- CRAP!$$$$

Old 11-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
CRAP! The 19's don't fit. On the front they appeared to be off by a few millimetres -- the tire turns but I could hear it was scraping against something at certain points in the rotation -- so, they don't fit because of the fronts.

I didn't see it scraping against the actual front or top of the calliper so it must be catching something at the back. Dare I even suggest trying to use a spacer
-- would that even help in this situation given that the space i need is at the back of the wheel? Or should I just sell these and buy new rims -- CRAP!$$$$
Spacers might just solve your scraping problem, but it depends on exactly where the rims are scraping, on the fronts of the calipers or on the sides.
Also, if you can still turn the wheels then the extra clearance needed is a lot less than "a few millimetres", more likely less than one mm.
I had a similar problem a few years ago on my XFR, after fitting new wheels (Coventry Whitley) and tyres one of the rear rims was scraping just a little a bit. I determined it was scraping on the sides of the caliper so I filed the sides of the caliper down about .5 mm and solved the problem. Afterwards I discovered that the scraping/interference was due to a pair of balancing weights on the inside of the rim being "stacked" and it was the balancing weight hitting the caliper.
I took the car back to the tyre shop and had that rim re-balanced without the stacked weights free of charge, so in hindsight I didn't need to file down the sides of the caliper.
Point is, check your front rims for balancing weights as there is a very slight chance this is the cause of your scraping problem.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (11-13-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Point is, check your front rims for balancing weights as there is a very slight chance this is the cause of your scraping problem.
Really good point. Given that they seemed to be catching only at a particular point, the balancing weights could actually be the culprit here too. I'm going to bring that front tire back to the guy I bought the set from -- see if he can identify where it's hitting -- and if it is the weights... I'll have him sort that out like you did -- rebalancing.

You're probably right too about the issue being just a fraction of a mm.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Ok -- problem solved.

Thanks OzXFR -- it seemed to be the weights that were only slightly getting in the way. Turns out my guy had a smaller profile weight he was able to swap the existing weights with -- done deal.

Pics of the the rims are attached. These are Braelin BR06s that were originally silver but have since been powder coated to black (long story, but when I bought these they were out of the black -- but the silver was horrendous in the winter...). I found some Jaguar decal weatherproof stickers to slap over the Braelin silver wheel caps. Voila!

Attached Thumbnails Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts-img_5718.jpg   Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts-img_5719.jpg   Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts-img_5720.jpg   Rims Fitament -- My brain hurts-img_5721.jpg