Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocky Mountain Oyster Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts
Default Rocky Mountain Oyster Run

Anybody interested in a Jaguar tour through the Colorado Rockies? Couldn't possibly be as fancy and elaborate as the Lobster run that Jay put together but I already have an E-Type and an F-Type signed up for sometime mid to late August (and a great place to idulge in Rocky Mountain oysters and other southwestern fare). Maybe we can talk Matt into suggesting some routes.

Anyone interested?

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-19-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Here's an interesting place to stay, south of Matt. I stayed there once before a backpacking trip. Watch the drive-in movie from your bed.
Best Western Movie Manor, Monte Vista Colorado

Don't think your trip would work for me, unfortunately. I'm not retired yet. And I have yet to try a Rocky Mountain oyster. I'll let you tell the folks what they are, for those who don't know...

I would love to do Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National, with the top down. Preferably, not following a line of motor homes.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Here's an interesting place to stay, south of Matt. I stayed there once before a backpacking trip. Watch the drive-in movie from your bed.
I really like that coal-fired projection computer.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I'll just go and drink beer......other than Coors, that is.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I'll just go and drink beer......other than Coors, that is.
There are over 20 fabulous well known microbreweries in Colorado. That could be a focus of the tour. (one beer per stop please)

Ok... so far we have The Fort Restaurant, and at least the Wynkoop and New Belgian (Fat Tire) breweries (two of my favorites). And yes, Matt, we'll be driving right past your home.

Marko, any chance you're in on this?

Old 05-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,595 Likes on 858 Posts

Good luck U. Knowing what Rocky Mountain Oysters are, and as much as I love almost all food(s), I'd have to have an enormous Rocky Mountain High - and even that wouldn't be enough - to want to have them again. Looking forward to seeing what your logo looks like. Ballsy move on your part.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There are over 20 fabulous well known microbreweries in Colorado. That could be a focus of the tour. (one beer per stop please)

Marko, any chance you're in on this?
Well maybe.....gotta check the work crisis calendar and see if there is a window there for me to disappear again. Came back to several staff created crisis this time :-). It does sound intriguing enough to see what I can do however. Will try to confirm one way or the other next week. We have a couple of Colorado offices that I could "check in on" perhaps.......

Old 05-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sneaky feeling a certain song from a certain 1976 ACDC album will be the theme song......

Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Ballsy move on your part.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I think what you're suggesting by the use of your pic-o-gram (?) - or would that still be considered an emoji? - is that you prefer your Rocky Mountain Oysters pan-fried versus deep-fried? Then again, and having gotten to know you, who knows what the heck you're thinking.

From the frying pan into the fire. Either way, flame on Dave!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Anybody interested in a Jaguar tour through the Colorado Rockies? Couldn't possibly be as fancy and elaborate as the Lobster run that Jay put together but I already have an E-Type and an F-Type signed up for sometime mid to late August (and a great place to idulge in Rocky Mountain oysters and other southwestern fare). Maybe we can talk Matt into suggesting some routes.

Anyone interested?
I'll definitely plan to join you, and I will be happy to discuss some routes and help with planning. I have a couple of routes in mind already. Also, I can contact the local Jaguar clubs and see what they have to offer as suggestions; I'm sure some of them might want to join as well. (Or was this intended to be an East Coast contingent with me globbed on?) OK this is just brainstorming for now, but are you thinking to center it on Denver, or are other places under consideration? Trail Ridge Road would be great, but it is the most popular National Park in CO. DJS is right on when he suggested that we'd be following a line of campers and motor homes going about 25 mph. One thing is for sure, plan for dates after August 15 when Colorado schools go back to classes. Also, weekdays is when I fish to avoid crowds and same will be true for the roads. September after Labor Day would be optimum for traffic issues, and weather is stable through end of the month, usually. I'm still on the road in SD; won't be home until late Saturday.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck U. Knowing what Rocky Mountain Oysters are, and as much as I love almost all food(s), I'd have to have an enormous Rocky Mountain High - and even that wouldn't be enough - to want to have them again. Looking forward to seeing what your logo looks like. Ballsy move on your part.
lol

Old 05-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Maryland to the Rocky Mtns? Holy. The rockies are too far for me and I'm starting in Ohio. How about a barbeque tour of the midwest/upper south?

Old 05-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
Maryland to the Rocky Mtns? Holy. The rockies are too far for me and I'm starting in Ohio. How about a barbeque tour of the midwest/upper south?
At Jay speed it's only a 12 hour drive for me.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

At Jay speed it's only a 12 hour drive for me.
My reputation is starting to precede me. Which can only mean one thing; accelerate, hard, to catch up to it. It's a vicious cycle. There's a Zen koan if ever there was one.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

My reputation is starting to precede me. Which can only mean one thing; accelerate, hard, to catch up to it. It's a vicious cycle. There's a Zen koan if ever there was one.
Warp Factor 5 Mr. Sulu.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There are so, so many more than 20 well known breweries in Colorado. Check out this list and the map that accompanies it.

Colorado Craft Brews

And I would skip the oysters except for a food challenge. Farm to table and local eats are the way to go in this neck of the woods.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paddyh
There are so, so many more than 20 well known breweries in Colorado. Check out this list and the map that accompanies it.

Colorado Craft Brews

And I would skip the oysters except for a food challenge. Farm to table and local eats are the way to go in this neck of the woods.
Given that I haven't heard of a few of these breweries, I could argue that they aren't necessarily all well known (nor maybe even a full 20 of them). However, you made my point, thank you.

I might feel obligated to have an order of the Oysters given my selection of the event name, but that certainly won't obligate others.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Given that I haven't heard of a few of these breweries, I could argue that they aren't necessarily all well known (nor maybe even a full 20 of them). However, you made my point, thank you.

I might feel obligated to have an order of the Oysters given my selection of the event name, but that certainly won't obligate others.
Attaboy U! Godspeed to you, pedal to the metal...***** to the wall.

P.S. For your logo, might I suggest a slight variation of what I designed for our Lobster Run? Instead of using the Growler [face], use the back end of a Jaguar. Happy to work out the details with you...

Yeah, I know. Too easy.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-22-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Attaboy U! Godspeed to you, pedal to the metal...***** to the wall.

P.S. For your logo, might I suggest a slight variation of what I designed for our Lobster Run? Instead of using the Growler [face], use the back end of a Jaguar. Happy to work out the details with you...

Yeah, I know. Too easy.
Yeah, could be a slight variation on Cambo's avatar. lol

Quick Reply: Rocky Mountain Oyster Run