F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD vs AWD F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD vs AWD F Type R

I tried searching and couldn't find much discussion about this but could those who have driven both the RWD and AWD F Type R models advise on the differences of the two? Does the AWD feel appreciably quicker off the line? How is the handling of the AWD compared to the RWD?

I cannot decide between picking up a used 2016 F Type R or saving a good amount of change and going with the RWD 2015. Please help me decide!

Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Stohlen:
Burt Gummer (05-01-2018), ndabunka (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I can’t imagine how anyone can help you decide. If you are in the market for a used F type R, you should be the one who decides which is better for you. The differences, besides price, are well documented. Keep in mind, the manufacturer decided in this model to offer only AWD. It’s your conclusion that should come to grips as to whether or not you want/need that feature.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Drama, some say more fun = RWD.

Safer, quicker, better in poor road conditions/snow = AWD.

Pretty much which car is the better deal/opportunity at any given time.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Yeah, you really have to drive them, they are very different. Also bear in mind that the '16 model has different infotainment (there are threads on that as well). So you have the old black and white one which I hated with a passion, then one with coloured tiles that is just a different interface for the old one, then the new tiled one which is really good to use IMO.

I might be a bit (very) precious, but I hated the black and white one so much (having had it in my '12 XF) that I decided to go with a newer V6 S with the new than to take a '15 R with the old at the same price.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Yes the electronics do suck. I couldn't imagine using the factory Nav. Since I use an S8+ with a nice big screen it does everything I want it to do and syncs up to the car w/o delays or BS.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Having just test driven a 2017 R this past weekend I can't imagine what the car was like with RWD only. The AWD would definitely be my choice just to be able to better utilize all of that horsepower and torque in more situations.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My first RWD and at first it snapped on me but only did that tell me to respect the cat because she can give on you with the RWD. Once you get the feel the power and anticipate it you find it very fun in corners. I had AWD Audi A5 and while it was perfect on poor road conditions I didnt get much fun out of it compared to the F - Type R RWD. I am blessed to currently have two perfect car choices in my stable and be able to daily any one I choose. But at the end of it all it is your choice because remember those ponies will be delivered to the rear if you chose RWD and that is a lot for some. Just my few cents hope you find the perfect F type and wish you nothing but the best!

Bektic

Old 05-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

The better question is “is the technology leap from tbe RWD to the AWD worth the upcharge?” Because to ask if its better is like asking is the iphone4 as good as the iphone8. The AWD is simply more advanced. To me, it is worth the upcharge as it perfects the cars’ only weak link in delivering power to the road.

I would rate the AWD system of mechanicals and software on the Jag as the finest automotive engineering on the planet. It works flawlessly and seemlessly. Not many things you can say that about. Whomever is responsible for its design and implimentation should be given the equivelent of an oscar.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
The better question is “is the technology leap from tbe RWD to the AWD worth the upcharge?” Because to ask if its better is like asking is the iphone4 as good as the iphone8. The AWD is simply more advanced. To me, it is worth the upcharge as it perfects the cars’ only weak link in delivering power to the road.

I would rate the AWD system of mechanicals and software on the Jag as the finest automotive engineering on the planet. It works flawlessly and seemlessly. Not many things you can say that about. Whomever is responsible for its design and implimentation should be given the equivelent of an oscar.
+1, it is THAT good!

Old 05-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Yeah, you really have to drive them, they are very different. Also bear in mind that the '16 model has different infotainment (there are threads on that as well). So you have the old black and white one which I hated with a passion, then one with coloured tiles that is just a different interface for the old one, then the new tiled one which is really good to use IMO.

I might be a bit (very) precious, but I hated the black and white one so much (having had it in my '12 XF) that I decided to go with a newer V6 S with the new than to take a '15 R with the old at the same price.
That's interesting, I did not know the infotainment system was different. I tried the 2015 R infotainment and it was terrible. 1 point for the 2016 then!

Old 05-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

I would never, ever, consider driving a rear wheel drive sports car. They are so dangerous. I cannot believe they offered that model and that some folks drove it and lived. My most recent car has 6 wheel drive and has over 125 horse power and the tires slipped once when I drove over a piece of chocolate on the pavement - man I was scared.

I even heard that some fools are ADDING horsepower and reducing weight from their RWD V-8 F Types. How reckless can these fools be? I intend to report them to Diane Feinstein for crimes against the environment....

pixel (05-03-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Lol

Old 05-02-2018, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Yes the electronics do suck. I couldn't imagine using the factory Nav. Since I use an S8+ with a nice big screen it does everything I want it to do and syncs up to the car w/o delays or BS.
I have a Note 8, what functions are you using that synchronize with infotainment system?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Selko92
My first RWD and at first it snapped on me but only did that tell me to respect the cat because she can give on you with the RWD. Once you get the feel the power and anticipate it you find it very fun in corners. I had AWD Audi A5 and while it was perfect on poor road conditions I didnt get much fun out of it compared to the F - Type R RWD.
Lol I don't think comparison an Audi A5 to an F-type is really fair as far as fun factor goes...

Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope this will help you in making a decision...

First I bought a Certified pre-owned 2016 F type S Convertible V6 with 380 hp and AWD, love it.
In fact, I liked it so much I decided I wanted a V8 to go with it, one for me, one for my wife and kids and to keep at our shore home.

I drove a New 2017 R with AWD and 550hp, I loved the power and sound and the AWD made it a very safe car. Keep in mind my last car was a 700hp GTR with AWD.

Now the search was on for a V8.

A deal on a 2014 V8s Convertible (same dealer I bought my GTR from) with 20K miles came my way, the previous owner traded it for a Lamborghini Huracan.
The 2014 is RWD with 495hp. If i were still a drag racer I would have went for the 550hp AWD, but the power with the 495hp is great ad the sound, OMG.

I ended up buying both Jag F types for less than the price of one new one.

My feeling is, if the right deal comes along, you can't go wrong with any F-type, if you are going to daily drive it even in snow, go for AWD.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What no one here has mentioned yet is Jag's 5-year/60,000-mile warranty, which includes all scheduled maintenance and roadside assistance for that duration. It launched on the 2016 F-type and that car only. Now it's on all Jags. For another year of total peace of mind, plus no-cost oil changes on a $100k sports car, that's worth your consideration.

The R's AWD system is passive, in that it will not send power to the front until the rears begin to spin, and it does so late. That's on purpose. So it'll still feel wiggly. But if burnouts and insane drifts are your thing when you go to a race track, you have to get the RWD.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I would never, ever, consider driving a rear wheel drive sports car. They are so dangerous. I cannot believe they offered that model and that some folks drove it and lived. My most recent car has 6 wheel drive and has over 125 horse power and the tires slipped once when I drove over a piece of chocolate on the pavement - man I was scared.

I even heard that some fools are ADDING horsepower and reducing weight from their RWD V-8 F Types. How reckless can these fools be? I intend to report them to Diane Feinstein for crimes against the environment....

I actually did laugh out loud

Old 05-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderjag
The R's AWD system is passive, in that it will not send power to the front until the rears begin to spin, and it does so late.
Not "entirely" accurate. When set to snow/rain mode the distribution is 50/50 from the get-go so you can set it to a more aggressive AWD if desired.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maccha
I tried searching and couldn't find much discussion about this but could those who have driven both the RWD and AWD F Type R models advise on the differences of the two? Does the AWD feel appreciably quicker off the line? How is the handling of the AWD compared to the RWD?

I cannot decide between picking up a used 2016 F Type R or saving a good amount of change and going with the RWD 2015. Please help me decide!
Just made the switch from 2015 convertible S V8 to 2016 coupe R. Addressing your questions:

I think most of differences have been noted in this and the threads Stohlen linked. I would say the steering on the 2016 feels much more artificial to me.

Yes, the 2016 is appreciably quicker off the line. The S only has 495 horsepower as opposed to the 550 in the R, but coming off the line was traction limited even with the lower horsepower. Awd is an absolute blast off the line and gives a high degree of confidence at a stop light.

The ’15 S felt more tossable when changing direction. The ’16 rips coming out of corner where the ’15 wasn’t quite as planted, but that was part of the fun of it.

If I had to do it over again, at this point I still would. If I bought a car that I could decouple the awd and shed 170 pounds instantly, I would probably drive that way about 5% of the time (assuming regular road and not tracking, tracking would be 100%). But that 5% of the time would be outstanding…

I do miss the on edge excitement the rwd gave, but the launch, corner exit, confidence to pull out in traffic as needed and not worry about spinning tires makes the awd the overall winner for me. The ’16 infotainment system and warranty are a nice added bonus.

BruceTheQuail (05-03-2018)

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD F Type R