Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a CPO f-type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a CPO f-type?

Hello,
First time poster on this board. A little about me: my wife and are 40-somethings looking to reward ourselves with a nice weekend car. My wife really wants a "wow car". We looked at CPO 640i but when we saw and heard CPO f-type convertible we were hooked. It's located in another state but it checks all the boxes.

So before we buy I wanted to make sure we consulted with the most knowledgeable jaguar owners on few questions:

What should we expect in the way of maintenance? We have always heard horror stories regarding jaguars. From what little information I could find it seems that the F-type is up to par with other comparable nameplates.

Is CPO the way to go? With the huge depreciation I think the used deals are great but I also see big discounts off MSRP for new.

Are there well known first year gremlins to look out for? The car we are considering would be a 2014 with only 7k miles.

Any other purchase tips?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No reason not to go CPO unless you just really want new. There are a couple of 2016 CPOs already in the market.

There's a Big difference between the 640 & the F-Type. You can just hop in and cruise around in the 640 and have a nice smooth ride. The F-Type is going to be more engaging and frenetic which is great for a weekend/play car (especially the V8) but could be tiresome as a daily driver. Plus you can't take the whole crew out to lunch in the F-Type (maybe that's a good thing?).

The following users liked this post:
Jason Z. (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I agree with you on the 640i's ride but it has only got 1 year in its life cycle. Also, while its nice, the 640i doesn't elicit the same WOW that a f-type does.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I bought a CPO 14 V8S vert. 9k on it. I've only had it 2 months but I love it. I never buy new. I always buy CPO and have never gotten burned. The great things about CPO is someone else takes the shock of depreciation, and mostly any issue has already been found during the inspection process and repaired. That said, mine has two minor problems, the seat heaters blow fuses (which I think that I have pinned down to moving the seat which points to a pinched wire) and buzzing speaker when high bass content is played loudly. I haven't taken it in to have those items fixed yet. Lastly, and perhaps the most overlooked, is that you don't have to face the misery of finding that first scratch. It's likely already there.

Jason Z. (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

This may sound obvious to you, depending on your experience, but definitely check the car's history.
I think someone was saying that some dealer was trying to sell a previous lemon with a host of problems as a cpo.
Generally though... You should be fine. My specific advice would be to listen for rattles from the speakers, vibrations and squeaks while driving, and take a close look at the paint and body panel alignment. Those are some of the most common annoyances.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

excuse my ignorance .............. but what is CPO ?

Old 02-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by bk000
...but could be tiresome as a daily driver.
What? Not a chance. Have you really found your F-Type to be tiresome at times?

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-24-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ioneabee
Here in the US its "Certified Pre-Owned". Basically JLR extends the warranty on used JLR cars.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/quality-sec...ned/index.html

ioneabee (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ioneabee
Certified Pre Owned.... I had to google it too

Old 02-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Posted too slow.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What? Not a chance. Have you really found your F-Type to be tiresome at times?
I think my F-Type finds me tiresome. Sometimes I can feel it going "stop driving like an old lady! HIT THE GAS PEDAL."

Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Mine is a 14 CPO V8S and it had 6K on it when I got it. I'm at 12K now after 6 months and its just fantastic. No issues to date. JLR has come a long way in the last 10 years on reliability so much so that I am also considering an Fpace and an XE to replace my other cars. Might end up with an all-jag garage.

If you plan to keep the car more than 4 or 5 years go with a CPO, let someone else take the depreciation and enjoy the savings and the extended warranty. But most of all just drive the S*&% out of the car and savor every second of it.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Absolutely -- GO for it. Someone else paid the front-end depreciation and you get the fun. That's essentially what I did over a year ago. The car has been bullet proof.

If you want WOW, there's nothing that will touch an F-Type under $150k. Check out the "Any funny bystander reactions" thread to get a sense of what you'll experience.
<BR><BR>
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-share-147352/

Old 02-24-2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bk000
Plus you can't take the whole crew out to lunch in the F-Type.
Yes, that is a big plus, and one of the reasons I wanted a true 2-seater.... I've been accommodating other people for way too long.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
Yes, that is a big plus, and one of the reasons I wanted a true 2-seater.... I've been accommodating other people for way too long.
Indeed!!!! Ah the peace associated w/ a 2-seater and only room for one special someone when company is desired.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

No reason not to buy CPO. It is definitely flashier than a BMW though.

Maintenance isn't crazy for this price class although I have found the experience to be pretty variable by dealership.

My only advice would be to buy it and drive the snot out of it.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

I assume CPO means used from a dealer?

That's what I did, mine was 12 months old from a Dealer, I made sure they transfered the free servicing to me for the balance of the warranty and threw in an extended warranty.

No regrets at all, had no major issues, a few minor niggles but no more than I have had with BMWs etc previously. Do it you will love it. I pulled up at the lights a while ago and a young guy in a BRZ stuck his head out the window and yelled thank you for not buying a BMW, I just grinned and punched it to give him a thrill.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
I assume CPO means used from a dealer?
Yes and no. In the U.S., Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) is a marketing program developed by manufacturers to increase buyers' confidence in purchasing used cars. A CPO usually differs in at least 3 respects from just another pre-owned vehicle:

1) supposedly passes a very rigorous inspection,
2) comes w/ extra warranty or factory warranty extension
3) costs more on average

It is a popular program and can be worth the extra cost for peace-of-mind. You're essentially paying for the extra warranty. However, in many cases, you can accomplish the same thing by purchasing an extended warranty on a non-CPO car, which you can usually do at any time before the standard warranty period expires.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
purchasing an extended warranty on a non-CPO car, you can usually do at any time before the standard warranty period expires.

But be careful, we did that on a 2010 XF, bought an extra 2 years I think. When the Manufacturers warranty expired you could tell the service went down the tubes, so much, that I actually started using my private mechanic and told our dealer it will be a cold day in Hell before I buy a jag from them..... Well, in the end we ended buying two Jags from the very same guy. Go figure, seems like we can't hold a grudge. Lesson learned, new car is always a new car, and comes with a warranty and service you can not beat with any aftermarket warranty or services.

Last edited by Grumpy Finn; 02-25-2016 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Cut out too much from the quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
But be careful, we did that on a 2010 XF, bought an extra 2 years I think. When the Manufacturers warranty expired you could tell the service went down the tubes, so much, that I actually started using my private mechanic and told our dealer it will be a cold day in Hell before I buy a jag from them..... Well, in the end we ended buying two Jags from the very same guy. Go figure, seems like we can't hold a grudge. Lesson learned, new car is always a new car, and comes with a warranty and service you can not beat with any aftermarket warranty or services.
Yes, but I wasn't talking about an "after-market" warranty. I was talking about purchasing an OEM extended warranty, which most manufacturers offer if purchased before the factory warranty expires.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a CPO f-type?