F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do it?

Old 03-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I do it?

OK guys, need honest opinions since you have experience with the F-type....
I have a reasonable garage so far ( new BMW i8 (amazing), V8 M3 (2008 and best car ever), 2011 V8 Audi S5, a 2013 TTs, Suburban, Sub cross trek, ) and never had a Jag but love a V8 engine. I'm thinking of trading the Audi S5 (the winter car) for the F-type R coupe and drive it in the winter.....good idea or bad idea? How many use this car as a winter "rat"? This is Upstate NY winter. Would love your opinions!

Old 03-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Your mileage may wary, but if I were shopping for a winter car I'd consider something with more ground clearance than F-type. Maybe consider F-Pace instead?

I am a bit North of you, but I chose to drive Subaru as my winter beater. I think clearance makes a lot of difference, combine that with AWD and winter tires and you never get stuck.

The following users liked this post:
wanesso (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Of course you should.

Drove my V6S all winter with snows and it's not an AWD. This was an exceptional winter with hardly any snow in Toronto. Yes, the car is low, but the curbs are a bigger problem.
I guess it depends on how good the snow plowing is where you live. You just don't want to be the first one on the roads if there hasn't been a plow.

Originally Posted by wanesso
OK guys, need honest opinions since you have experience with the F-type....
I have a reasonable garage so far ( new BMW i8 (amazing), V8 M3 (2008 and best car ever), 2011 V8 Audi S5, a 2013 TTs, Suburban, Sub cross trek, ) and never had a Jag but love a V8 engine. I'm thinking of trading the Audi S5 (the winter car) for the F-type R coupe and drive it in the winter.....good idea or bad idea? How many use this car as a winter "rat"? This is Upstate NY winter. Would love your opinions!

wanesso (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I think it's a horrible idea to use an F Type "R" as a winter "rat".....poor for a whole bunch of reasons; ground clearance, WAY too much power, the AWD is "rear biased" and not 4wd and it's just too nice a car. Go get a Subaru or the appropriate SUV; our GLK diesel is our winter DD and works great on winter roads, going up to the ski hill, etc.

...not really sure if this is a serious question or just trolling...

Dave

Old 03-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

I personally would never pick an F-Type as my winter car north of the Mason Dixon - especially an R and more so if it's RWD. Around here, snow is not a big deal as long as you avoid the other drivers. I've spent years in MD/PA/CT, but that's still not a match for upstate NY. I've had my "S" out in the snow; it got me there, but it's just not great. Snow mode helps some with throttle and traction control, but doesn't overcome the physics of low ground clearance. If you want a bit of fun and DD for winter, I'd look at the F-Pace - it has the same 6's as the F-Type. Sorry, no V8. If you want to go up a step (in price, anyway), look at the Macan Turbo.

wanesso (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Based on your stable you have a couple of good winter cars already. Additionally out of that list the F-Type is the most fun to drive IMO. I'd get the F-Type, but make it your summer car.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I think it's a horrible idea to use an F Type "R" as a winter "rat".....poor for a whole bunch of reasons; ground clearance, WAY too much power, the AWD is "rear biased" and not 4wd and it's just too nice a car. Go get a Subaru or the appropriate SUV; our GLK diesel is our winter DD and works great on winter roads, going up to the ski hill, etc.

...not really sure if this is a serious question or just trolling...

Dave
Not interested in trolling, want opinions of those who drive the car in a real winter............subaru and audi are great winter cars, I want to know if the Jag can take their place because the performance of the car is important. Ground clearance may be an issue, I'll listen to what is said.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
I personally would never pick an F-Type as my winter car north of the Mason Dixon - especially an R and more so if it's RWD. Around here, snow is not a big deal as long as you avoid the other drivers. I've spent years in MD/PA/CT, but that's still not a match for upstate NY. I've had my "S" out in the snow; it got me there, but it's just not great. Snow mode helps some with throttle and traction control, but doesn't overcome the physics of low ground clearance. If you want a bit of fun and DD for winter, I'd look at the F-Pace - it has the same 6's as the F-Type. Sorry, no V8. If you want to go up a step (in price, anyway), look at the Macan Turbo.
Thanks,sounds like sound advice, appreciate it!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

May I suggest a Range Rover Sport V8. They are fantastic on all surfaces as long as you get rid of the silly summer street tires.

Last edited by enfield; 03-19-2016 at 07:32 PM.
wanesso (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by enfield
May I suggest a Range Rover Sport V8. They are fantastic on all surfaces as long as you get rid of the silly summer street tires.
....this is an interesting car, very good looking and may be an option.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
Awesome car.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

I recently drove a Range Rover Evoque courtesy can while my F-Type got serviced and a few days later, a Volvo V60 Drive-E while my C30 (sold today) got serviced.

I liked the V60 better. With the hotter engine or, better yet, the Polestar version with hotter engine and better suspension, I think I'd be very happy. It's just a little big for my needs, but I liked the way it drove. The Polestar version would be quite the jaunty grocery-getter.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I recently drove a Range Rover Evoque courtesy can while my F-Type got serviced and a few days later, a Volvo V60 Drive-E while my C30 (sold today) got serviced.

I liked the V60 better. With the hotter engine or, better yet, the Polestar version with hotter engine and better suspension, I think I'd be very happy. It's just a little big for my needs, but I liked the way it drove. The Polestar version would be quite the jaunty grocery-getter.
An evoque is not an equivalent to a Range Rover Sport.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
An evoque is not an equivalent to a Range Rover Sport.
I didn't say it was. A Range Rover Sport is not an F-Type either. I thought we were offering opinions and alternatives for a "winter rat." I offered opinions of two vehicles I'd driven in the last week. I don't rub shoulders in the circles that can afford to even consider an F-Type R as a "winter rat" but I do think the V60, properly configured, would provide utility, performance, and style.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

....this is an interesting car, very good looking and may be an option.
The Range Rover Sport V8 has the same engine as an F-Type V8. It's rated at 510hp and is not too shabby in the 0-60mph department. I have my F-Type V8S parked and waiting for another few weeks. I am looking forward to driving it but the RRS V8 has plenty of grunt to keep me amused.

I love the look of shock on the faces of the BMW and Infiniti drivers. I don't break the speed limit - but I sure het there quickly

Once I got a thumbs up from someone who turned out to be a traffic cop in an unmarked car. He was behind me and I took off. The speed limit was 80kph and I stopped pressing on the happy pedal in time. The cop was left far behind but he went over the limit to catch up because I was at the limit. He couldn't give me a ticket because I did not break any laws! So he gave me a thumbs up!

Drive one. You will love it!!

Old 03-20-2016, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Not interested in trolling, want opinions of those who drive the car in a real winter............subaru and audi are great winter cars, I want to know if the Jag can take their place because the performance of the car is important. Ground clearance may be an issue, I'll listen to what is said.
ok; I'll assume you're serious. In that case; I'll reiterate: driving an F type R as a DD car in winter conditions is a bad, bad idea. It is faster and more powerful than anything else you own. You won't find many opinions on people that use a 550hp, two seat sportscar with 20" wheels and limited ground clearance in the snow, because there aren't many (any?) people who would do that....for good reason, I'd suggest.

Cheers,
Dave

mshedden (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Based on your stable you have a couple of good winter cars already. Additionally out of that list the F-Type is the most fun to drive IMO. I'd get the F-Type, but make it your summer car.

....yep.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:43 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Well - most (all?) of the Canadian members on this board mothball theirs over the winter, so thats probably a hint...

Old 03-20-2016, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Well - most (all?) of the Canadian members on this board mothball theirs over the winter, so thats probably a hint...
And so does the one from Norway...

Old 03-20-2016, 07:19 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Not I sir. All one needs are snow tires for lower temps and better traction. Fretting about putting it away and when to take it out seems a waste of one's life and results in diminished enjoyment. Could even lead to an earlier death. 😀 It's just a car after all.

Overblown (03-27-2016)

Search this Thread