F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
I agree. It's not really the big deal that many of you are making it out to be. I daily drive my XF in the winter here in Wisconsin with a set of Blizzack LM-32's. It does absolutely fantastic. In fact, I feel better with it in snowy/icey conditions than my Land Rover with all seasons. It's not a f type but its got about the same ground clearance, 500hp, rear wheel drive and 20 inch wheels.

The power the F type makes doesn't really matter. Yeh it makes 550 hp.....at 6500 rpm though! Not where you'll be revving in the snow. With these tires, snow mode and a smart right foot it was a dream to drive this winter and fun too. Nicest part is that I still got to enjoy the car instead of stashing it away for most of the year like I do with my classics.

So I say go for it. Put those tires on it, set snow mode and have fun. Why drive something boring in the winter(the longest season of the year btw) if you don't have to?!
THAT'S what I've been waiting to hear!!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Philly Single
^ what this guy said.

There are the oddest threads here...a multi page thread about "OMG, what if there is 6oz of 87oct gas in the line" to justifying driving an awd R in the snow, not just the Winter, but snow.

Can you? Sure, wtf - throw some snow tires on, roll the dice and see how the ground clearance works in Upstate NY. You have a decent stable of cars, can afford 100k+ ride but you're *really* looking for advice here?

Literally use ANY of your other cars for the Winter or at least when it snows.
No, the RWD M3 is not a good winter car, snows or not. The i8 is lower than the F-type and won't work in winter. This is outside Syracuse NY--usually one of the snowiest places in the East. I'm looking to replace the S5, currently the only winter car, with something with a bit more power and pizazz so yeah, I'm *really* looking. What is the problem?

Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you were out Easter weekend in your i8, I may have seen you driving (I was in the R). Given the number of vehicles you have at your disposal, you should just do what you like with car in winter. On heavy snow or ice days you drive one of the other vehicles. Last night the weather was predicting below 40 and snow, so I left the R at home. If it had winter tires I might have taken it. One of the problems with winter driving, particularly at night is on snow covered roads, you can't always spot the treaded pothole, as you likely already know. Life is too short to cut corners if you have the means and the hardware.

The following users liked this post:
wanesso (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
If you were out Easter weekend in your i8, I may have seen you driving (I was in the R). Given the number of vehicles you have at your disposal, you should just do what you like with car in winter. On heavy snow or ice days you drive one of the other vehicles. Last night the weather was predicting below 40 and snow, so I left the R at home. If it had winter tires I might have taken it. One of the problems with winter driving, particularly at night is on snow covered roads, you can't always spot the treaded pothole, as you likely already know. Life is too short to cut corners if you have the means and the hardware.
Agree and appreciate your comments. Life is too short to keep a good car in the garage if you can help it. And a good car can be any car the driver enjoys, regardless of means. Pot holes are a problem here--it's a real bummer to hit those hidden holes, esp with 20" wheels. I will be testing the S and R in Rochester soon, will help to get a feel for the F-type--it's a stunning car!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

You may also want to try Buffalo, Pat the GM is very easy to deal with. If you buy in Rochester, John Morris is easy going sales guy. Very knowledgable.

wanesso (04-13-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Good Luck with your test drive. My experience wasn't too good of one yesterday at the dealership. Think I'm going to try another dealer before looking at an alternate car. Good Luck!

wanesso (04-13-2016)