Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slashed Tire, Jaguar Roadside Assistance, Scarborough Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Slashed Tire, Jaguar Roadside Assistance, Scarborough Jaguar

Putting and keeping things in perspective, on a life-hassle-scale this rates a lowly 1. Still, no one would be pleased to learn one has had a tire intentionally slashed (and I just got off the phone with the parking garage management and, so far, I'm the second car they've heard from whose tire was also slashed), after a long day at work.

Unfortunately these things do happen, even in the State of Maine. (Hey it could have been worse; much worse. Forget about an actual accident. Could have been "keying" the car. I do believe in karma and that there's a special place in hell for - using my friend Marko's word - miscreants).

So I called Jaguar Roadside Assistance and informed them of the situation. At first I didn't notice the cut in the tire and thought that I could fill it with air and drive it out of the enclosed garage - from the usually "safe" third floor - so that the flat bed could accommodate the car but upon further inspection it quickly became obvious that that was not an option. The tow guy couldn't have been more patient, professional, and proficient trying to get the tire sealed and the car out of there but he too came to the conclusion that that wasn't going to happen. What to do?

I didn't realize that I could drive so slowly (so there, Lance, Dave, and Marko!) As I literally crept the car down 3 flights - careful to keep the wheel on the rubber, with the tow guy slowly creeping alongside me assuring the same.

I probably don't have to tell you that getting these F-Types on a flat bed isn't the easiest thing to do, without scraping something or other. Again, my tow guy took exceptional care regardless of how long it took to adjust this that and the other. So the first shout-out goes to Jaguar Roadside Assistance and Chris the tow guy. (I gave Chris $20 for his help but the best tip was calling the owner of the tow company this morning - as well as letting Jaguar Roadside Assistance know - telling him how great he was).

Now, how am I going to get home, a 40 min trip from the dealer? This all happened around 6PM, close to closing time. And this is where having a personal relationship with your dealer comes in handy. The service department had already left for the day, but luckily, just as he was about to leave and close down the dealership, I spoke with my friend, the GM, Rick Smith who promptly found me a car, a 2013 XJ, leaving it and the keys in front of the entrance (keys, of course, hidden). I've already received a phone call from their service department this morning informing me that they'll locate a replacement tire - and, again, I want to give yet another shout-out to Continental Tire (I have their outstanding Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's and absolutely love them!) - and, presumably, get my F-Type back soon.

So thank you Service Advisor Brian from Scarborough Jaguar, and thank you Dan Babb the Service Manager for brilliant customer service. It/that makes a huge difference in customer loyalty. So while I am not a fan of Jaguar [the brand] and more specifically their Marketing Department, I am of Scarborough Jaguar!

As the French say and Emerson, Lake & Palmer sing, "C'est la vie".

Thought some of you might like to know.

Attached Thumbnails Slashed Tire, Jaguar Roadside Assistance, Scarborough Jaguar-tow.jpg  

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-24-2016 at 09:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
JimC64 (05-24-2016), Mbourne (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Perhaps Jaguar roadside assistance should carry several wheels with tires for such a situation.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Geez, a slashed tire!? Sorry to hear that - thought you were friends with everyone in the state of ME.

I see you're still sporting your Lobster Run decals - mine is still on, as I haven't washed mine lately, though it desperately needs it with the pollen.

Glad to hear Rick took care of you - no surprise there, great guy and great dealership.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Geez, a slashed tire!? Sorry to hear that - thought you were friends with everyone in the state of ME.

I see you're still sporting your Lobster Run decals - mine is still on, as I haven't washed mine lately, though it desperately needs it with the pollen.

Glad to hear Rick took care of you - no surprise there, great guy and great dealership.
Friends in high places Dave (and friends in "blue") but not in low places. More to the point: low-lifes. Thank you Dave for your positive thoughts and words and recognizing how great some dealerships are. Like I've said, it could have been worse.

Small blip on the road, in this case literally, of life.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

What a PITA, and even more so b/c it was intentional!
Glad you made out ok Jay.

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I wish understood what motivated someone to do something like that. Is it jealousy that someone else has something they don't have?

Jay glad to hear it was only a tire...yes could have been much worse. Any surveillance cameras?

Although nowhere near as serious, I once parked my BMW in a row of spaces the furthest from the entrance to a store in a strip mall. There were no other cars parked in the row and I only took one space. I came out to find a pickup parked so close to the drivers side I had to climb in from the passenger side.

The pickup driver was obviously making a statement and there is no rational way to talk to a person who thinks that way. Where is Batman when you need him to impart some justice!

RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
I wish understood what motivated someone to do something like that. Is it jealousy that someone else has something they don't have?

Jay glad to hear it was only a tire...yes could have been much worse. Any surveillance cameras?

Although nowhere near as serious, I once parked my BMW in a row of spaces the furthest from the entrance to a store in a strip mall. There were no other cars parked in the row and I only took one space. I came out to find a pickup parked so close to the drivers side I had to climb in from the passenger side.

The pickup driver was obviously making a statement and there is no rational way to talk to a person who thinks that way. Where is Batman when you need him to impart some justice!
If you're an oak
you don't pretend
you are a flower

- Basho

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-24-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
If you're an oak
you don't pretend
you are a flower
There's Jay going all Zen on us again. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
99Gsp (05-24-2016), RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There's Jay going all Zen on us again. lol
Far better than going ape-s$%^ U.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Its good that you have been able take a bad experience, and end up with some good experiences.
My dealer is excellent as well and it certainly goes a long way towards enjoying the car and feeling confident.
Lawrence.

RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Hat's off to the OP. You, sir, are a thorough gentleman!

RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

If you're an oak
you don't pretend
you are a flower

- Basho
Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey Jay, sorry to hear that some low life trashed your tyre, causing more than a little hassle to your day.
Having said that, seems like Jaguar really stepped up to the plate, really cool to hear
Thanks
Jim

Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For your situation, I would consider installing a front and rear dashcam (like a Blackvue 2-channel), and have my audio shop custom-install a standalone power supply. More likely than not you are targeted, and I were you, I want to know who is targeting me.

RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

Glad it worked out - and I'm sure your calm demeanor under trying circumstances helped make you a Lucky Man (RIP, Keith E).

RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Everything turn out OK with the rim after driving it flat like that?

Glad to hear the tow truck driver took care of your baby.

I always say...it doesn't matter if you're making sandwiches at a sandwich shop or building rockets at NASA, you should have complete pride in your work, and deliver a product/service you are proud of. Unfortunately that is less common these days...and I love meeting someone who is a perfectionist and truly cares about what they are doing/serving/delivering.

*Ok, at NASA it absolutely matters over sandwiches...but you get the point.

RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Like I've said, it could have been worse.

Small blip on the road, in this case literally, of life.
As we say in NJ "A - Frigging - Men"! in the nicest spirit of the term :-)! it shouldn't have happened, but yes could have been much much worse.

RickyJay52 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Hey Jay, sorry to hear that some low life trashed your tyre, causing more than a little hassle to your day.
Having said that, seems like Jaguar really stepped up to the plate, really cool to hear
Thanks
Jim
Hey Jim. I was quite pleased by the Jaguar Roadside Assistance customer service rep as well as Chris the tow guy and, of course, my dealer who all helped make a lousy situation a little less lousy.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy.
Unless I'm mistaken, didn't another great philosopher once say, "you drive like that again Marko and I'm buying more jewelry"? Like I said, I could be wrong...though I think not.

Mbourne (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
Everything turn out OK with the rim after driving it flat like that?

Glad to hear the tow truck driver took care of your baby.

I always say...it doesn't matter if you're making sandwiches at a sandwich shop or building rockets at NASA, you should have complete pride in your work, and deliver a product/service you are proud of. Unfortunately that is less common these days...and I love meeting someone who is a perfectionist and truly cares about what they are doing/serving/delivering.

*Ok, at NASA it absolutely matters over sandwiches...but you get the point.
Well said! I've also always admired anyone, doing anything, who takes pride and passion. More rare? Undoubtedly. Existent? Absolutely!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-25-2016 at 01:11 PM.