Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Smartkey no longer inside vehicle"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default "Smartkey no longer inside vehicle"

This pops up from time to time, and searched it, to no avail. It's an odd note.... it glitches as says the smart key isn't inside the vehicle, when it, in fact, is in the vehicle. "Press ok".

I press "ok", and voila... a red message alert that a key that is inside the vehicle is not inside the vehicle. It's simply lightly annoying.

But the only reason I felt it worth posting a thread is this:

Does that mean someone could start the car, leave the key somewhere, drive away, get to a destination, and then be stuck? Does the car actually *do* anything when the key isn't inside the vehicle?

Remote unlocking and remote start just seem like it's made for nothing other than sub-zero temps, bravado, or getting your car knicked. LOL

But what's the point of allowing a car to drive away from a key without more than a "press ok". Not sure this thread makes sense to anyone.... =)

Old 05-31-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

To be fair i'd also like to know this.

My last car just beeped like hell if i walked away whilst it was running (and the key was in my pocket)

No idea what the Jag does.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Perhaps replace the battery in the key fob?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't know about the Jaguar but other MFG's have it set so that the key will start the car even if not in the car but there is a range. So the car may run but once you get maybe 50ft away from the key the car will shut down.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

If the car is started with the key inside, and the key is then removed, the car will run til the ignition is turned off.

Some cars might give a warning when the key is removed, but non of the cars I have had with keyless go (two Audis, one VW and the F-type) gives any warning.

I would not think that any car would stop after a given time or distance, as this would be a major safety issue (dead stop on the motorway, highway, autobahn or just when you accelerated to pass someone in the opposite lane, accelerated onto a heavy trafic road etc...).

Old 05-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

+1

It is a safety issue. All cars with start buttons will continue to run regardless of whether the key is in range or not. I once drove 50 miles home after meeting friends for dinner, with the fob in my friend's pocket. He wanted to start the car and forgot to give it back to me. I didn't realize until halfway home.

One can imagine the consequences if cars shut down when a little kid or angry adult tossed a fob out the window at 70mph.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-31-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Arne I thought it was on a Top Gear episode but then again I could be wrong. And you are right about most mfg's not having this as a feature. I went to lunch with my sister and when we got back to the car she realized it never shut off and had been running for close to 2 hours in the (open) parking garage.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1

It is a safety issue. All cars with start buttons will continue to run regardless of whether the key is in range or not. I once drove 50 miles home after meeting friends for dinner, with the fob in my friend's pocket. He wanted to start the car and forgot to give it back to me. I didn't realize until halfway home.
Well i'll be making sure i try not to make that mistake.

Is it also a case of if they key is not detected when trying to switch off it will not?

Otherwise you could end up doing Uncle Fishbits has said and start the car leave the key outside of it drive off, stop, switch off then from that point getting out or even pushing the handles in to lock would mean you are stranded unable to start or even get in your your car again?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:29 PM
jf1
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Otherwise you could end up doing Uncle Fishbits has said and start the car leave the key outside of it drive off, stop, switch off then from that point getting out or even pushing the handles in to lock would mean you are stranded unable to start or even get in your your car again?
This is the scenario the red key missing warning is attempting to prevent. Should you ignore the warning and drive off, the car will prevent restarting but will not automatically lock. It will also not allow manual locking via the external handle press if you don't have the fob both outside and proximate to the door.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Well i'll be making sure i try not to make that mistake.

Is it also a case of if they key is not detected when trying to switch off it will not?

No the car will shut down normally, but obviously you can't start it again. I wasn't worried about it because I knew my other fob was at home.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

The clearbar installer had come by to pickup my R. I pulled it out of the garage and he jumped in and took off. Five or so minutes later I notice I still had the key-fob in my pocket. I called him just as he was getting onto the freeway. He turned around and came back to get the key. Not sure at what point the car would get upset over not having the keyfob in the car.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 355rockit
The clearbar installer had come by to pickup my R. I pulled it out of the garage and he jumped in and took off. Five or so minutes later I notice I still had the key-fob in my pocket. I called him just as he was getting onto the freeway. He turned around and came back to get the key. Not sure at what point the car would get upset over not having the keyfob in the car.

Never, or until you run out of gas, or shut it down yourself, which ever comes first.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
[/B]

Never, or until you run out of gas, or shut it down yourself, which ever comes first.
Okay.. thanks everyone for this...

Instead of being annoyed by the random times the Fob isn't detected and seeing "key no longer in car" I will note that it's a friendly reminder to make sure I have my key.

Interesting enough, the one single time I "lost" my key was when I laid it next to the window washer fluid filler in the crease between the open trunk and exterior. I was able to close and lock the trunk, the key wasn't hit in any way, drive with the car "thinking" the key was there....

when I parked I did my gratuitous freak out looking for the fob, until I remembered where I left it. Pretty wild you can place a key in that exact spot, slam the trunk, and not damage it.

But I get that the annoying red warning is more about reminding myself that the key *is* actually near, and I don't have a quick trip back to wherever I was parked to get the key.

I get it. =) The car errs on the side of being slightly annoyed by a warning so you are not furious you are stopped in the middle of nowhere getting gas.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:04 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Interesting. I've left my key in my golf bag, put the bag in the trunk, and it then wouldn't let me close the trunk.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Interesting. I've left my key in my golf bag, put the bag in the trunk, and it then wouldn't let me close the trunk.
If your doors are still locked it won't let you, but if you've already unlocked the doors it will.

I learned this on day 2 with my car. I threw my briefcase in the trunk, fob in the zipper pocket as has been my style forever. Big difference is that all of my previous cars had a back seat, so I wasn't using the trunk!

As the trunk powered down to latch I had a moment of panic realizing that my doors were still locked. I was more than relieved to see the trunk open right back up.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if you hold the key fob down by the sensor on the left side below the steering wheel it will reset the reading of the key fob.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by F Type Terry
I think if you hold the key fob down by the sensor on the left side below the steering wheel it will reset the reading of the key fob.
+1. I had a similar problem early on and that seemed to permanently resolve it. For me, it occurred after the battery went totally dead and I had to use the manual key.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine has started doing the same thing. I am also having to hold the key under the sensor every time to start it as the key is not recognized as being in the vehicle to start or thereafter. The key seems to work at opening the car and remotely locking it so seems to be yet an other electrical glitch to add to the collection..

The following users liked this post:
wortex (12-17-2022)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

When my did this my service advisor put a new battery in and solved problem. No reprogramming and had batteries in desk, no charge.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
When my did this my service advisor put a new battery in and solved problem. No reprogramming and had batteries in desk, no charge.
Replacing my key fob battery resolved this issue as well. I initially thought it was a glitch, but just a low Key Fob battery charge.

Quick Reply: "Smartkey no longer inside vehicle"