Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I got myself an SVR.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:36 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking So I got myself an SVR.

Hi there

Having sold my Mustang (S550.1) and having another MY18 Mustang GT on order, I was using a Stage 2 MK7 Golf R which was an absolutely cracking car. Having looked at 911's, R8 V10's and AMG GT's they were all missing some of the soul and character the Mustang has, a big loud shouty V8 and having to be driven at warp speed to even remotely enjoy them.

So I was running out of ideas, then someone mentioned F-Type, a car I had completely forgotten about, so I was all set to get myself an R AWD Coupe, but instead I decided to think you only live once, so get the big shouty one, as such I am now rocking in an SVR.

Got it from main Jaguar dealership here in the UK, so it has a full warranty and apart from just enjoying and driving the car, all I have done so far is essentially give it a real good cleaning and wax protection, along with a good cleaning of the interior, as such here are some photos:

Some lovely beading going on now.
Now for me a big part of my enjoyment with a car is modding, hence loving Mustangs, problem with the SVR though its not such a major issue is that it is properly sorted from the factory.

The keen eyed will also spot my car has the carbon exterior design pack and carbon roof, it also has the uprated Meridian sound system, powered tailgate, winter pack, visibility pack, blind spot monitoring and some other options.

My plans for the car are pretty short but I would like to do:
- Paint correction, there are some minor swirls in the paint, so want to get these corrected with a proper polish.
- The brake disc are heavy solid 1pc items, very durable and effective but of course some lighter two-piece disc would be welcomed though no one seems to sell any???
- I dislike the red caliper colour and the rear calipers are the nasty single piston type where you can see the pad. I am going to see is the XKR-S rear caliper plates that cover the pad part also fit on the F-Type or can be modified to fit. I will then get the calipers re-painted most likely in yellow but may consider other colour options.
- Once the Pzero are worn, because just like on other cars the Pzero is not the best, as such when these are worn out (7mm front / 6mm rear) I shall fit PS4S, but that probably won't happen until next year.
- I may change the wheels to the diamond cut ones that come with the ceramic option or repaint these satin grey like Jaguar offered as gloss black wheels are not so much my thing, but admittedly these do work quite well with the car, when clean.

That is it to be honest, the power is pretty savage and ferocious, JLR claim 3.7s to 60mph but it feels much quicker than that and even in the current cold and wet UK condition it grips amazingly well for standing starts.

Still taking it easy in the corners but it feels pretty planted but is RWD biased absolutely and will happily wag its tail even at legal speeds which makes it a lot of fun and the noise is purely obnoxious but that is why I like it. This has to be the first car I have owned where the need for an aftermarket exhaust is simply not there, plus the SVR has some F1 crazy material exhaust to make it light so I'd only be a fool to change that.

Here are some videos, you might have to click the links to see them:

Really looking forward to dry weather now and getting it down to Santa Pod in February when it re-opens for some 1/4 mile fun.

The following 5 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
Burt Gummer (12-27-2017), Desert Dawg (12-31-2017), Mbourne (12-27-2017), Smoke Em (12-27-2017), TR64ever (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

About those rear caliper plates, the XFR has the same rear brakes (376 mm) as your SVR and it has caliper plates so you don't need XKR-S caliper plates, XFR ones will do nicely and maybe cost a lot less than XKR-S ones. That said, I suspect the XFR and XKR-S rear caliper plates are identical and possibly cost the same anyway.
Problem is, the F-Type rear 376 mm brakes are a bit different to the XFR ones, with different calipers, caliper brackets and pads, so it's hard to tell if the XFR caliper plates will fit properly. But my guess is that all you will need to do is measure and drill two mounting holes in each caliper and Bob's your uncle!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
About those rear caliper plates, the XFR has the same rear brakes (376 mm) as your SVR and it has caliper plates so you don't need XKR-S caliper plates, XFR ones will do nicely and maybe cost a lot less than XKR-S ones. That said, I suspect the XFR and XKR-S rear caliper plates are identical and possibly cost the same anyway.
Problem is, the F-Type rear 376 mm brakes are a bit different to the XFR ones, with different calipers, caliper brackets and pads, so it's hard to tell if the XFR caliper plates will fit properly. But my guess is that all you will need to do is measure and drill two mounting holes in each caliper and Bob's your uncle!
Ah thank you, that is brilliant news, I don't suppose you have a part number or link to where I can buy those please?

P.S. Just found these:
https://www.jaguar-shop.com/epages/6...ducts/C2P21067

Cheaper here:
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.ph...497/plate_logo

Shall also call Jaguar for a price.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 12-27-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the zoo.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Ah thank you, that is brilliant news, I don't suppose you have a part number or link to where I can buy those please?

P.S. Just found these:
https://www.jaguar-shop.com/epages/6...ducts/C2P21067

Cheaper here:
C2P21067 | PLATE-LOGO | Jaguar | | Britcar (UK) Ltd

Shall also call Jaguar for a price.
Yep, thems the ones, well found!
But as I said before no guarantee they will fit properly but worth a try, if they do fit then I (and others) may be interested in them as well.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! Wish I was daring enough to go that blue! Enjoy!

Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 AM

Yep, thems the ones, well found!
But as I said before no guarantee they will fit properly but worth a try, if they do fit then I (and others) may be interested in them as well.

Yep true, am sure like you say, drill holes, screw them in and they will cover the pad, just depends how they look but to be honest I can't see them looking any worse.

Just wished Jaguar had put Brembo's front and rear on this car on the stock steel brakes, much better looking.

Of course upgrading to ceramics gets your the lovely Alcon calipers, but its an expensive option and also very expensive and not so easy to retrofit.

P.S. Ordered a pair from Jaguar at £24.48 +VAT each, I do love a bit of modding, so see how well or how bad I can make these fit.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 12-27-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:18 AM

Dat ***

Old 12-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Congrats man! Its beautiful! Enjoy!

Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Dat ***

My OCD has kicked in, I have noticed the tailgate is not perfectly level, its 1-2mm high on left side. Anyway to adjust the tailgate?

Old 12-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought long and hard about the blue
But eventually went for the Indus silver but in the soft top very difficult when you can’t actually see them
Yours looks stunning

Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Digging that blue.

What was your take on the AMG GT? Did you drive one? Did you consider the Evora 400 or Aston Martin V8 Vantage?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Digging that blue.

What was your take on the AMG GT? Did you drive one? Did you consider the Evora 400 or Aston Martin V8 Vantage?
Colour is beautiful, really love it.

AMG GT was a better finished product, perfect panel gaps, amazingly well put together interior, it felt very polished if that makes any sense. To drive could not fault it the chassis felt amazing but at no point was I scared, it was amazingly composed and felt AWD though it was RWD. Was quick too and the gearbox seemed a little more direct and precise on downshifts. But at the budget I had all the AMG GT were not as shouty colours, all dark reds, dark blues or black and silvers. The more shouty colours were rarer and a lot more expensive, but it kind of felt a bit too good and the V8 sounded OK, much better than an M car but still not on a level with the SVR.

Evora does not attract me, at this budget a Porsche GT4 was a possibility which I'd take every time over an Evora, it is a vastly better car and is a gorgeous looking thing, unfortunately I had to dismiss a GT4 on the basis I want an auto.

Driven the V8 Vantage a few times and they are gorgeous cars, only driven the manuals both road and track which takes some getting used to as the manual feels like it came from a saloon car, not a sports car but once you get used to it the Vantage drives surprisingly well and is superb on a UK road but in this company I am afraid it is simply too slow, I like the ability to engage the hyperdrive from time to time and the SVR never lets down, plus due to the instant throttle response and torque from super charger the SVR feels really savage which I like and the noise, well its got to be the best sounding factory V8 currently available on the market.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

My OCD has kicked in, I have noticed the tailgate is not perfectly level, its 1-2mm high on left side. Anyway to adjust the tailgate?
An unlevel tailgate is very common, I see it on most pics of F-Type rear ends, and mine was sort of the same with the left side of the tailgate/spoiler sitting about 2 mm too low.
Under the tailgate you will see two spring-like protuberances, one each side, then on the opening there are two round black plastics "plugs" that these "springs" butt up against when the tailgate is closed.
I first tried screwing the left side protuberance out a bit but it just got a little too wobbly and didn't make any difference, so I screwed it back in again.
What worked for me was to remove the plastic plug on the left side (just use a trim removal tool, it pops off real easy) and stick two layers of Velcro (the "soft" side) on the under side of the plug, neatly trim around the plug, then replace it. The tailgate/spoiler now sits dead even.
Of course you have the opposite problem, you need to lower the left side a bit not raise it. Maybe the protuberance can be screwed back in a bit, although I doubt this will work, or else the plug is sticking up a little and can be pushed further down? Or maybe you can replace the plug with a thinner one, it shouldn't be hard to find a suitable Christmas tree plug.
As a last resort the fit of the spoiler can be adjusted a bit by loosening off the four bolts which hold it on, jiggling it around a little, then re-tightening the bolts. The bolts are under the two rectangular covers/plugs on the underside of the hatch, pry them off with a trim removal tool. From memory the bolts are T20 or T25.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

So nice. I'd consider a de-badge job for the rear. I know when you have the top dog that might be a hard sale though .

Old 12-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome & congrats on a beautiful vehicle! Enjoy you will.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:54 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Welcome to the forum and F Type ownership, lovely SVR

Old 12-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

You have both a cracking and popping car! Congratulations and welcome!

Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM

An unlevel tailgate is very common, I see it on most pics of F-Type rear ends, and mine was sort of the same with the left side of the tailgate/spoiler sitting about 2 mm too low.
Under the tailgate you will see two spring-like protuberances, one each side, then on the opening there are two round black plastics "plugs" that these "springs" butt up against when the tailgate is closed.
I first tried screwing the left side protuberance out a bit but it just got a little too wobbly and didn't make any difference, so I screwed it back in again.
What worked for me was to remove the plastic plug on the left side (just use a trim removal tool, it pops off real easy) and stick two layers of Velcro (the "soft" side) on the under side of the plug, neatly trim around the plug, then replace it. The tailgate/spoiler now sits dead even.
Of course you have the opposite problem, you need to lower the left side a bit not raise it. Maybe the protuberance can be screwed back in a bit, although I doubt this will work, or else the plug is sticking up a little and can be pushed further down? Or maybe you can replace the plug with a thinner one, it shouldn't be hard to find a suitable Christmas tree plug.
As a last resort the fit of the spoiler can be adjusted a bit by loosening off the four bolts which hold it on, jiggling it around a little, then re-tightening the bolts. The bolts are under the two rectangular covers/plugs on the underside of the hatch, pry them off with a trim removal tool. From memory the bolts are T20 or T25.

Played around with the two spring-like protuberances and was able to screw the one on the left side in more which has made it line up better and on the right side I just screwed the protuberance out a turn and now the tailgate is level.

So thank you.

Going to have a play with bonnet next as it sits higher on left side, manage to equal it out by just adjusting the hood height adjusters but by making right side higher to match.

I think the real issue is the hinge on left side is a touch higher or the hinge stop is screwed out more, that can be tomorrows job.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome ride...congrats!

Quick Reply: So I got myself an SVR.