F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some bluetooth OBD2 Drains Battery - help find the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by chasers03
If the Intelligent Power System Management [IPSM] of my 2016 F-Type R were functioning properly I would think it would protect my battery from draining after the parasitic load is latched by using these OBD devices? If so I wouldn't need the expensive Anti Gravity Battery I just installed because my Jaguar branded battery drained down twice.
I am wondering after reading in the F-Type repair manual
"the system will be set in transit mode on delivery. Transit mode has no Quiescent current control module [QCCM] operation and the relays remain closed. Therefore battery drain could occur and system will not react to it. A PDI [delivery?] process requires the system to be put into Normal mode, which enables the quiescent current control module [QCCM], before handing over to the customer."
if my [IPSM] is disabled because my car wasn't put thru the PDI process properly and put into Normal mode???
I doubt it. I have checked mine with JLR SDD and it is as it should be. Still locks into drain mode if an incorrect OBDII device is attached.

Good theory though, and would not hurt to at least check...But would not get my hopes up too much.

Good luck.

DC

Old 01-23-2022, 04:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FYI

I tested the battery latching episode for ways to get around it and found none that was practical for my Allstate Milewise device but would be workable for my Blue Driver OBDII.
Wired the OBD receptacle to power on only when ignition on and this made no change in the latching.
Tried all combinations for plugging in and unplugging the device before, & after startup as well as before & after engine shut down.
Unplugging my Allstate Milewise tracker device before engine shut down was the only way I could get the hazard light/battery drain of 2.5 amps ie. latching not to occur.

So it is off to the dealer this week for hopefully a software update [to facilitate leaving my Allstate Milewise device plugged in all the time] ......

Old 01-23-2022, 05:04 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Your IPSM is working exactly as expected. It is handling any expected errors within the jaguar ecosystem. It cannot be expected to cater for external errors introduced by outside parties if you think about it. If i buy some cheap LED lights of ebay and install them and they wont work because of the wrong resistance Im not going to go to jaguar and expect them to change the software so it doesnt cause a fault flag
To give you an analogy you have gone and bought a computer , then loaded a 3rd party app which cause your computer to crash. It is no point going back and and expecting INTEL or windows to change or cater for the unpredictable actions of the app. It is different to the system crashing by itself without any external fiddling.
Shouldn't the next step in troubleshooting the issue actually be going back to Allstate and telling them their dongle is causing this issue and get them to provide a different version(which may still do it by the way) rather than trying to change your $100,000 dollar car to adapt to a $30 dongle.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can the issue be caused by the last update

I never had that issue and I used the same obd device always. After the last car update is when this issue seems to have initiated. Can I be that perhaps some of the update programming conflicts with the sleep mode ability ?

Old 01-27-2022, 07:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hallelujah my Greenville SC Jaguar dealer, Josh/Rafael, after becoming acquainted with my 2016 F-Type R battery drain problem have fully cured the parasitic battery drain by installing 4 updates to the vehicles RFA, GWM, IPC & BCM modules. They could not tell for sure which one solved the battery drain problem but guessed it was the software update to the IPC, [instrument panel ?]. Jaguar does not publish to the dealers what their software update were designed to do unlike what our phone app suppliers do. They also don't pay the dealer for doing software updates under these circumstances.

If you have read my earlier pains and posts, I had a persistent, seemingly unstoppable 2.5 amp battery drain after shut down which was only initiated by plugging in and removing either my BlueDriver OBDII reader or my Allstate Milewise dongles. So Jaguar has a software update which will cure this OBD initiated parasitic battery drain problem on the F-Type.

Thank you ScubaAddict for keeping us focused on this issue and likely for getting Jaguar to address the problem....
and to many others like the TheRock who have helped with interim solutions like a quick and easy battery negative disconnect and AntiGravity Battery replacement. I don't regret installing these two enhancements along the way. AMEN

Last edited by chasers03; 01-28-2022 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Spelling error
The following users liked this post:
DJS (01-27-2022)