F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport vs reg Drive mode...

Old 03-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Dynamic + sport and paddles 98% of the time, the other 2% in D when my bride is along to illustrate to her that it can be docile, so that she can drive it if ever called for. The controls are so similar to her XJR that the transition has been easy.

Last edited by 16fnrbrg; 03-14-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add clarity
Old 03-14-2019, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Hmmm.
I notice that when I first move the shifter over to S it doesn't show what gear it is in, but as soon as I shift up or down with either the shifter or a paddle it shows the gear.
I'll have to try it one day - D plus S but don't touch the paddles or the shifter, and see if it upshifts automatically.
But that seems completely pointless to me, why would anyone have it in Dynamic & S and NOT then use either or both of the paddles and the shifter?
If you are in Dynamic and S and don't touch the paddles, the car changes the shift points. It downshifts more aggressively when braking and hold the gear longer when going up through the gears.

I tried both manual and auto in S mode at the track. The automatic S was actually pretty darn good at selecting the right gear. Not perfect, but neither am I.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:24 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
If you are in Dynamic and S and don't touch the paddles, the car changes the shift points. It downshifts more aggressively when braking and hold the gear longer when going up through the gears.

I tried both manual and auto in S mode at the track. The automatic S was actually pretty darn good at selecting the right gear. Not perfect, but neither am I.
Agreed. I'm convinced the ZF box either reads my mind, or that I control it with my mind.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I’m ALWAYS in both dynamic and S - I’ll admit I hated the thought of not shifting for myself but y’all are right - it’s like she reads my mind and shifts when I would. I tried the various manual options but for me without the third pedal it just wasn’t the same. I’ve gotten lazy but I don’t care because I grin like an idiot the whole time I’m driving. I still have a clutch and shift when I ride my bike.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Dynamic always on, but I alternate between D and S. In city traffic, I feel silly pulling 4,000 rpm at very light throttle, so I go D. When I play, I go S, but always shift manually. I often shift from D to S when slowing down. I look at it as D for limo driving, S for race car driving. When my wife notices me shifting to S, she automatically grabs the Jesus Bar.

OT - one weird thing is that my wife does not complain, no matter what I do in the Jag. In the past, she was vocal about me going too fast or driving too aggressively. Last week, I beat a yellow light but ended up going 92 mph to do it - not even a comment. Last month, I needed to go to the second lane from a side street and had to rotate the car on power and stop 20 feet later. No warning, just did it - and no complaint. Damn, I love this car!!

The following users liked this post:
Nightshadow (03-10-2020)
Old 04-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
Dynamic always on, but I alternate between D and S. In city traffic, I feel silly pulling 4,000 rpm at very light throttle, so I go D.
For some reason on the MT, it just doesn’t feel right to shift before 4000 RPM. Plenty of torque to shift any engine speed, but does not feel natural. Maybe because 4000 RPM is the right shift point to get the big backfire on upshifts.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-02-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Nightshadow (03-10-2020)
Old 04-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Dynamic always on, but I alternate between D and S. In city traffic, I feel silly pulling 4,000 rpm at very light throttle, so I go D. When I play, I go S, but always shift manually. I often shift from D to S when slowing down. I look at it as D for limo driving, S for race car driving. When my wife notices me shifting to S, she automatically grabs the Jesus Bar.

OT - one weird thing is that my wife does not complain, no matter what I do in the Jag. In the past, she was vocal about me going too fast or driving too aggressively. Last week, I beat a yellow light but ended up going 92 mph to do it - not even a comment. Last month, I needed to go to the second lane from a side street and had to rotate the car on power and stop 20 feet later. No warning, just did it - and no complaint. Damn, I love this car!!
Don't mind "driving too aggressively..." & havin' fun,
But "...going up to 92 to beat a yellow light" is just plain RECKLESS!!!

Old 04-04-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

I often shift from D to S when slowing down.!
When I'm commuting, I leave it in D mode. I set up the paddles so they work in both D and S mode, so I can still downshift just by clicking the paddles.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Don't mind "driving too aggressively..." & havin' fun,
But "...going up to 92 to beat a yellow light" is just plain RECKLESS!!!
Well, on a clear, dry road with no other traffic, no traffic on the intersecting road, 55 mph speed limit, a traffic ticket lawyer on speed dial ... that's how I roll!

I'm experienced at much higher speeds - over 10k miles over 140 mph (Germany), Skippy School, 10 races, 1 win and 6 seconds...

Last edited by FullChat; 04-04-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dynamic + S + Manual shift 99.9999% of time during daily commute/road trips up the 1/anytime around town and I daily drive mine. Only time I take it out of manual is on long highway runs when I'm usually cruising in 8th anyway. Rain doesn't change anything, just be lighter on the pedal - it's not that hard.

It's just muscle memory at this point everytime I get in the car: into D, over to S, dynamic on, pull right paddle into second and go.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrnout
... muscle memory at this point everytime I get in the car: into D, over to S, dynamic on, pull right paddle into second and go.
You forgot to mention turning off stop/start! Or have you permanently disabled it?

Old 04-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

I disabled the stop/start within a week of owning my f-type.

Nightshadow (03-10-2020)
Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport vs drive

Those things are always good to know however I drive an 02 xk8 conv.and I didn’t know you had to manually upshift it but it does it it bounces off the Revlimid or almost sounds like neutrals out the transmission a little bit

Old 04-05-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by scm
You forgot to mention turning off stop/start! Or have you permanently disabled it?
When I switch to dynamic, the start/stop function automatically turns off.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Byrnout
When I switch to dynamic, the start/stop function automatically turns off.
It didn't for me. It was embarrassing. I'd creep up to my old driveway (which had a steep start) and as I'd inch over the 'curb', the car engine would stop. It sounded like I stalled the car. Nope, just the stop/start...in Dynamic mode.

On the plus side, that's how I found this forum. I googled how to disable the stop/start and found Tel's post.

Nightshadow (03-10-2020)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:34 PM

It didn't for me. It was embarrassing. I'd creep up to my old driveway (which had a steep start) and as I'd inch over the 'curb', the car engine would stop. It sounded like I stalled the car. Nope, just the stop/start...in Dynamic mode.

On the plus side, that's how I found this forum. I googled how to disable the stop/start and found Tel's post.
Hmmm...strange. Maybe that feature is not on every model year. I personally hate start/stop in anything other than hybrids where the electric can get you going.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

That sounds like a defect as it shouldn't be that sensitive. If you stop the car to get mail, then that could trigger it but it shouldn't go into that mode just from going slowly up onto your driveway curbing.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

It has been determined here that '14 - '15 F-Types disable ECO stop-start when in Dynamic.

'16+ still enables ECO in Dynamic so those owners need to push that little button. (Or do the wiring thing )

Old 04-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
It has been determined here that '14 - '15 F-Types disable ECO stop-start when in Dynamic.

'16+ still enables ECO in Dynamic so those owners need to push that little button. (Or do the wiring thing )
Or install a new battery without syncing to the battery management module.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Start. Turn on dynamic. Turn off the auto shut off. Unless it is raining, then I leave it in normal mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport vs reg Drive mode...