F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking from rear when going slowly

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking from rear when going slowly

I've recently purchased a V6S Convertible which I'm completely loving but when driving slowly around town a quite loud squeak emits from the rear when slowing down (both when braking and when the engine autocratically gears down).
When driving over 20-30mph no squeaking occurs whatsoever.

Has anybody experienced this issue? Going to take it to the dealers but it ruins a day for me so would like to go knowing whats wrong.

Thanks in advanced,
Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by samteq; 01-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I think it may be seat rubbing against the panel behind the seat. You need clearance.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 AM

I have actually experienced that but this is much louder and noticeable from outside the car.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Received 177 Likes on 49 Posts

Check your tires. Last times I had this problem (both on my m3 and my f-type) it turned out to be a screw stuck inside the tire and the noise comes from the contact to the ground at low speed.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 AM

Thanks Lizard, will take a look although I would have though that would cause more of a squeak, squeak, squeak as the wheel spins whereas my sound is more constant for a second or so... Definitely a strange problem!

Thanks again.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Default F-type squeak

Originally Posted by samteq
I've recently purchased a V6S Convertible which I'm completely loving but when driving slowly around town a quite loud squeak emits from the rear when slowing down (both when braking and when the engine autocratically gears down).
When driving over 20-30mph no squeaking occurs whatsoever.

Has anybody experienced this issue? Going to take it to the dealers but it ruins a day for me so would like to go knowing whats wrong.

Thanks in advanced,
Cheers,
Sam
i saw this question above from over a year ago. Just I have just bought a 2014 f-type convertible and have exactly the same problem. I thought was shock absorbers but I get the squeak at low speeds when not going over bumps. Did anyone work this out?
thanks w

Old 05-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by wrs1
i saw this question above from over a year ago. Just I have just bought a 2014 f-type convertible and have exactly the same problem. I thought was shock absorbers but I get the squeak at low speeds when not going over bumps. Did anyone work this out?
thanks w
There was a TSB for a rear suspension problem that was issued early fir the'14-15 cars. It had to do with a clunking sound, but might also result in other noises:
JTB00306v5

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-20-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Presumably, not a brake dragging. Hard braking takes care of that.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

I was just out for a drive in my V6S and started hearing an intermittent squeal from the rear of the car. It sounded just like an old fashioned mechanical brake pad wear sensor kicking in and out.

I thought F-Types had an electrical sensor for this rather than the mechanical type that squeals.

Anyway my car has only 19k on it. Could I need new rear pads already? Usually the fronts go first unless something is wrong with the rear brakes.

BTW: If there is an electrical pad wear sensor how does the car warn you about needing brake pads?

Last edited by RGPV6S; 05-20-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

The F-Type has the same ancient pad wear sensor system as the XF.
A single sensor on the right rear inner pad and another single sensor on the left front inner pad.
They are simple "open loop" wires, so that when the sensor wears through the loop closes and the warning is triggered.
On the XF they are meant to trigger when there is around 4 mm of pad thickness remaining, so plenty to spare. But that is only the triggered pad, it's possible that other unmonitored pad(s) could have a lot less, and the OEM pads are notorious for falling to bits around the edges once they get low.
If it's anything like the XF then you will get a warning on the dash "brake pads low" or similar, but it doesn't tell you which sensor has triggered, so you need to manually check.
One or more brake pads worn out at 19k miles, especially the rears, would not be unusual, the OEM pads are very soft (hence the masses of dust) and they wear out very quickly.
On the XF the rears wear much faster than the fronts, due mainly to "anti-dive" built into the braking system such that the rear brakes grab faster and harder than the fronts. I don't know for sure but I suspect the F-Type would have the same system.
So your best bet is to whip all the wheels off and have a good look at the thickness and condition of all the brake pads, well at least "edge on" without the hassle of removing the pads.

The following users liked this post:
RGPV6S (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by wrs1
thanks w
Hi

My issue actually turned out to be a problem with the exhust system, can't remember the detail exactly but it was something to do with the values (that make it sound ace) not sealing correctly which is why it only happened at lowish revs. In the end I believe they replaced the whole rear exhust system under warrenty.

Hope this helps,
Sam

Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

Hi

My issue actually turned out to be a problem with the exhust system, can't remember the detail exactly but it was something to do with the values (that make it sound ace) not sealing correctly which is why it only happened at lowish revs. In the end I believe they replaced the whole rear exhust system under warrenty.

Hope this helps,
Sam
I just popped the wheels off my car and checked the brake pads on all four corners. The rears were between 6 and 7 mm for inner and outer pads and the fronts were about 8-9mm so probably not the pads. Although I probably will replace them in the fall when the brake flush gets done.

Hope its not the exhaust valves like Sam.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi

Hope this helps,
Sam
I wanted to mention this as well. My symptoms were almost identical to what is being described. It felt speed related but pay attention the RPMs. For me it was a quick squeak/chirp when passing between 1200-1300 RPM. Mostly noticeable at those slow speeds, <30 MPH. It was an issue with the active exhaust valves and the whole muffler assembly or "silencer" as JLR calls it was replaced.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

This will be the subject of my next dealer visit, as I've consistently noticed these exact symptoms. Particularly noticeable in parkades.

Right now I'm playing a game.
It's called "common issues bingo".
I seem to be doing fairly well at this game currently.
If I win the game (while still under warranty), then I get to do mods! 😁

Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I guarantee it is the exhaust valves. You can hear them, especially at engine starts after the valve closes when the RPM drops. I took out the exhaust and tried lubing with some graphite spray lube but no luck. I'll try nickel anti-seize next.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 PM

Anyone ever have any rattling accompanying this as well?

Could just be a loose heat shield. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow at lunch regardless but figured I'd throw a line out here just to see.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

The electric vacuum pump for active exhaust sounds very much like a buzzing heat shield - it's located behind/inside the left rear wheel. It's most noticeable for me around 1400RPM. Don't know what year you have; the pump was removed in MY16 (17?) and replaced with a vacuum line coming back from the engine.

Luc Lapierre (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
The electric vacuum pump for active exhaust sounds very much like a buzzing heat shield - it's located behind/inside the left rear wheel. It's most noticeable for me around 1400RPM. Don't know what year you have; the pump was removed in MY16 (17?) and replaced with a vacuum line coming back from the engine.
Ah, the anecdotal evidence is growing - I did a cold start yesterday and crawled around to see if I could pinpoint the source, this is the exact location I determined. Took a video too in case it decides to behave itself at the dealer.

I have VIN ending in 27692 by the way.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Ah, the anecdotal evidence is growing - I did a cold start yesterday and crawled around to see if I could pinpoint the source, this is the exact location I determined. Took a video too in case it decides to behave itself at the dealer.
https://youtu.be/nSDFepGjAQU

I have VIN ending in 27692 by the way.
Your MY16 does not have the vacuum pump. The sound in your video certainly sounds like loose valves on you muffler. Requires replacement of the muffler.

Luc Lapierre (05-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Your MY16 does not have the vacuum pump. The sound in your video certainly sounds like loose valves on you muffler. Requires replacement of the muffler.
Sorry to resurrect this after so long, but I realized I'd forgotten to ask:

Is there a TSB for this?

Quick Reply: Squeaking from rear when going slowly