F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Torsion went bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 09:56 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Supercharger Torsion went bad?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but I'm pretty sure the torsion went bad on the supercharger.. I attached a video to hear. In the end I turned it off and there is a clunk and i'm not sure if that's normal because I cannot remember the normal sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhP...ature=youtu.be

Old 07-29-2020, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but I'm pretty sure the torsion went bad on the supercharger.. I attached a video to hear. In the end I turned it off and there is a clunk and i'm not sure if that's normal because I cannot remember the normal sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhP...ature=youtu.be
yeah, sounds like a bad SC coupler. New snout or repair kit is in order.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 2,310 Posts

That sounds like the normal AJ133 / AJ126 rattle to me, with maybe just maybe a little bit of worn torsion isolator rattle to boot. It sounds almost identical to my V6S which had the torsion isolator (in fact the whole SC snout) replaced under warranty a bit over three years ago now.
A well worn torsion isolator makes a fairly loud and very irregular rattle, like the often mentioned "marbles in a tin can", and the rattle in the vid sounds too regular to me to be that.
And the click on shut down sounds much more like the normal "relay turning off" click whereas the worn torsion isolator rebound click on shutdown is a much more pronounced, metallic and louder "clunk".
That's the good news, the potential bad news is the rattle I can hear might just be an early sign of the dreaded timing chain rattle, potentially catastrophic and big $ to fix, although it's relatively rare on the V6.
All that said the quality of the sound track in the vid is not great and I'm just semi-educated guessing, your best bet would be to take the car to an independent mechanic/workshop (NOT a JLR dealership) with knowledge of the AJ126 and the various rattles and noises it makes for a full diagnosis.

Edit - forgot to add - obey the first rule of having a workshop or mechanic check your car for problems - go in completely dumb and pretend you have no idea or preconceptions of what might be wrong or whatever is causing the apparent noise/problem. Take the Sgt Schultz approach, "I know nussink" (except maybe "the engine seems to have developed a new rattle lately"). Don't put thoughts in the mechanic's head, let them start from scratch.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-29-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
That sounds like the normal AJ133 / AJ126 rattle to me, with maybe just maybe a little bit of worn torsion isolator rattle to boot. It sounds almost identical to my V6S which had the torsion isolator (in fact the whole SC snout) replaced under warranty a bit over three years ago now.
A well worn torsion isolator makes a fairly loud and very irregular rattle, like the often mentioned "marbles in a tin can", and the rattle in the vid sounds too regular to me to be that.
And the click on shut down sounds much more like the normal "relay turning off" click whereas the worn torsion isolator rebound click on shutdown is a much more pronounced, metallic and louder "clunk".
That's the good news, the potential bad news is the rattle I can hear might just be an early sign of the dreaded timing chain rattle, potentially catastrophic and big $ to fix, although it's relatively rare on the V6.
All that said the quality of the sound track in the vid is not great and I'm just semi-educated guessing, your best bet would be to take the car to an independent mechanic/workshop (NOT a JLR dealership) with knowledge of the AJ126 and the various rattles and noises it makes for a full diagnosis.
I think what you are hearing is the "diesel" sound that our engines make, this was a complete cold start so the engine hasn't warmed up for it to go away, I'm hoping it's not anything to worry about.

To unhingd, what would happen if I ran the car until I really know it's the torsion? I don't wanna replace anything if I don't have to.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I think what you are hearing is the "diesel" sound that our engines make, this was a complete cold start so the engine hasn't warmed up for it to go away, I'm hoping it's not anything to worry about.

To unhingd, what would happen if I ran the car until I really know it's the torsion? I don't wanna replace anything if I don't have to.
I don’t think you’d screw up anything beyond the snout assembly and the belt.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I don’t think you’d screw up anything beyond the snout assembly and the belt.
ok i'll probably just run it until something breaks LOL, also is the snout assmembly a recall issue? maybe i can just get the dealer to fix it, my warranty expired in may...

Old 07-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 2,310 Posts

ok i'll probably just run it until something breaks LOL, also is the snout assmembly a recall issue? maybe i can just get the dealer to fix it, my warranty expired in may...
It was never a recall rather it is/was a Jaguar Technical Bulletin. JTB00356NAS1 to start with then JTB00356NAS2 a couple of years later.
Copy of NAS1 attached below.
Any defects covered by a Jaguar Technical Bulletin are covered by the new car warranty, but once that expires you are on your own. Some CPO and/or extended warranties might cover it but I think you would have a fight on you hands even after showing/pointing them to the JTB.
Even when under new car warranty you have to complain about the problem to get it fixed, they won't do it unless you ask.
All that said even if you are out of warranty it's worth asking the dealership to fix it (perform the JTB procedure) as a free of charge warranty fix, you never know your luck in a big city!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00356NAS1.pdf (89.1 KB, 279 views)
The following users liked this post:
JagRag (07-30-2020)