F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension for base model is lacking!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 09:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suspension for base model is lacking!

My 2015 Chevy Volt with 150k miles in sport mode handles/hugs the road better than my 2015 Base Ftype with 60k miles.

This is just downright a disappointment when I pushed my Ftype on countryside roads after work today going for a spontaneous evening cruise.

I know it’s the base model, but no way in hell should a Chevy volt feel more planted and confident in corners.

Am I missing something?

Old 04-04-2023, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,185 Likes on 2,349 Posts

It could be the tyres, what do have on at the moment?
If its Pirelli P-Zeros there's you answer and the solution is easy (although not cheap), just fit some decent tyres such as Michelin PS4S and you will be amazed at the improvement in handling and grip.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,210 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Yup…the tires. As OzXFR says, if you have the Pirelli PZeros still on the car, the very best thing you can do is to ditch them and fit Michelins or Continentals. The handling will be transformed. There is nothing wrong with the suspension in the F-Types, but those Pirellis after some wear are terrible.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,284 Likes on 884 Posts

I think if I had a base, I would not only replace the tyres, I would go forged rims. The handling difference it makes over those heavy, heavy OEMs is incredible. And coupled with decent rubber (I went Supersports which are supposedly a little comfier) you can go up a few sizes without compromising ride quality. I have forged 21's with supersports, the car handles insanely well, but rides like it had with P zeros on OEM 19's.

I had test driven a base on 20's when the f type first came out and thought the ride was too hard, but with 60,000 miles on it your seats should be nice and soft, so I guess your problem is wheels and tyres.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:01 AM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Also please check alignment and make sure everything is buttoned down with your suspension (no play in anything). Tires make a huge difference.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:38 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Something else, I'm not sure where the battery on your volt is, but my wife just got a Mach E GT and the center of gravity is so low it feels really planted. I noticed I was almost more confident around corners in it, then our F-Type R or our GT500. So that may play a part as well, but as said above, if you have the P Zeros ditch them. I've always been a fan of Michelin Pilots but went with some Continental DWS+ on the F Type and couldn't be happier.

VroomForTwo (04-10-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Default DWS and Road Force balancing

+1 on the Continental DWS... dry, wet snow and wear bars to keep track. My dealer competitively priced a set of four, plus I get "free" rotating/balancing for having bought a set. Rotation ever 5000 miles. I also had the tires Road Force balanced:

https://www.motorweek.org/features/g...orce_balancing

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2023, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It could be the tyres, what do have on at the moment?
If its Pirelli P-Zeros there's you answer and the solution is easy (although not cheap), just fit some decent tyres such as Michelin PS4S and you will be amazed at the improvement in handling and grip.

it’s more the issue of suspension bounces up and down like I’m in a speed boat on water even in dynamic…

not sure if the Volt feels more planted because it’s a hybrid that sits on top of a big battery in center of the cars undercarriage.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by crashxx
Something else, I'm not sure where the battery on your volt is, but my wife just got a Mach E GT and the center of gravity is so low it feels really planted. I noticed I was almost more confident around corners in it, then our F-Type R or our GT500. So that may play a part as well, but as said above, if you have the P Zeros ditch them. I've always been a fan of Michelin Pilots but went with some Continental DWS+ on the F Type and couldn't be happier.

Bingo! the center of gravity thing I’m seeing making a difference.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:56 PM
Received 244 Likes on 125 Posts

Agree with everyone ...not sure if anyone said check the shocks.

Relative to an EV, center of gravity 100%. And a Volt weighs a little less at ~ 3500 lbs.it goes to. It may be more like a golf cars in other ways, but you cannot fault an EV in terms of weight distribution.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-05-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,284 Likes on 884 Posts

When I first got the new wheels and tyres on (with the weight reduction), it did feel that they werent necessarily in contact with the road all the time pushing it through corners at speed, it kind of felt as though it was skipping a bit. But that was really the back end not the front, the steering was much more nimble and perfectly direct. Once I got used to it, I found it heaps better, so essentially the front end is pointing exactly where I want it and then by the application of a bit of power the back end will skip into place, so you are effectively getting 4 wheel steering. Not sure about the base, but in the other models you dont get interference to power when the rear wheels slip a bit, so it is very controllable.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Agree with everyone ...not sure if anyone said check the shocks.

Relative to an EV, center of gravity 100%. And a Volt weighs a little less at ~ 3500 lbs.it goes to. It may be more like a golf cars in other ways, but you cannot fault an EV in terms of weight distribution.
I guess an EV’s more optimal center of gravity sitting on a battery is the equivalent of a mid engine car in terms of weight distribution for better handling.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:31 PM
Received 162 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPanther23
it’s more the issue of suspension bounces up and down like I’m in a speed boat on water even in dynamic…

agree with checking your shocks. Shouldn’t happen. The suspension is obviously firm and will jar over small bumps in the road but I would not describe this as bouncing. One bump in the road shouldn’t cause multiple vertical undulations in your car.

sov211 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 721 Posts

The base model doesn't have the adaptive shocks, so the mode doesn't matter. I only drove the base model when the F-Type came out, so don't have a back-to-back comparison, but suspect that may be what you're feeling. The bounciness could be worn dampers. 60K miles seems a little low but it wouldn't be outside the realm of probability that they're tired.

BlackPanther23 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 08:13 PM
Received 417 Likes on 225 Posts

I had a 2018 base and the handling was excellent--I had no issues. Tires (and proper pressures) can make all the difference. Also check to make sure you don't have a damaged suspension component or strut.

BlackPanther23 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 05:18 AM

not sure if the Volt feels more planted because it’s a hybrid that sits on top of a big battery in center of the cars undercarriage.
Sounds to me like a suspension damping issue. Should be no "bouncing up and down". What year is your car, and did you buy it new? How many miles?

Old 04-06-2023, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
Sounds to me like a suspension damping issue. Should be no "bouncing up and down". What year is your car, and did you buy it new? How many miles?
2015, 60k miles. Maybe I have too high expectations of the base? Given it’s a grand tourer…I had a Lexus ISF prior and that thing felt solid and glued to the road .

Old 04-06-2023, 02:30 PM

My 2015 Chevy Volt with 150k miles in sport mode handles/hugs the road better than my 2015 Base Ftype with 60k miles.

This is just downright a disappointment when I pushed my Ftype on countryside roads after work today going for a spontaneous evening cruise.

I know it’s the base model, but no way in hell should a Chevy volt feel more planted and confident in corners.

Am I missing something?
Sounds like suspension is a bit shot honestly. If you bought used recently it may have just been ridden hard and put up wet for those 60k miles. Might want to check the dampers for leakage.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:25 PM
Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

2015, 60k miles. Maybe I have too high expectations of the base? Given it’s a grand tourer…I had a Lexus ISF prior and that thing felt solid and glued to the road .
I have a 2018 base and the only problem I had with the handling was my perception of body roll, so I had the car lowered with H&R springs and it is now incredibly planted. Even before lowering I had no bouncing what-so-ever. You definitely need to check the shocks.

BlackPanther23 (04-13-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 07:15 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I understand this thread is about "subjective" handling. But when we compare using "objective" criteria, a base model F-Type will outperform the Volt by a large margin.

On normal summer performance tires, the F-Type V6 base model will pull 0.90+ G on a 300 foot diameter skidpad and 0.97+ G on a standard 650 foot diameter highway off ramp type corne. The 300 foot skidpad is said to be similar to many of the tighter turns on typical racetracks. With faster or more open racetrack turn radius sometimes being 650 foot radius turns. (big oval tracks are obviously much larger radius)

The Volt is not capable of such performance, with a more normal 0.84 G's.

https://rechneronline.de/g-acceleration/curve.php

OzXFR (04-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Suspension for base model is lacking!