Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla S Performance Faster Than V8 F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Some years back, someone on another forum called my motorcycle "The Most Mental Bike Ever Made" but the H2R sits on the throne now.

That said, it's people like that that make people angry with me when I haven't done anything.
+1. Lot's of undeserved animosity out there against bikers.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default First Demon Drive

OK the first full on review of the Demon is out. What you have to go through to get the car ready to race is just nuts: 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon First Drive | Review | Car and Driver

Compare that to one setting and pushing on the gas for the Tesla or our cars (two settings) for that matter. You'll get a great time or embarrass yourself because you got the sequence wrong. It is that last thing that gives me pause. Even the Bugatti is far easier to get into high performance mode. I think someone missed a meeting...

Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
Even the Bugatti is far easier to get into high performance mode. I think someone missed a meeting...
Perhaps you missed that meeting? If all you care about is how easy it is to get into "performance mode", you're obviously not the demons primary target audience.

Perhaps comparing a Bugatti to a Demon is also not smart? Main point... demon runs mid 9s and nothing else is close; naturally it takes extra steps.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Perhaps you missed that meeting? If all you care about is how easy it is to get into "performance mode", you're obviously not the demons primary target audience.

Perhaps comparing a Bugatti to a Demon is also not smart? Main point... demon runs mid 9s and nothing else is close; naturally it takes extra steps.
I agree 100%....Though I'm not interested in owning a Demon, it is a remarkable automotive accomplishment IMO and I, for one, am quite happy that the fastest accelerating production car isn't electric. ;-)

2 cents,
Dave

Old 07-21-2017, 02:59 PM

But a ton of extra steps. In a computer age there is no excuse that many steps on the configuration screen to make this happen. One script with a link. I'm not talking about the tires or the seat removal, I'm talking about the massive number of settings on the car screen. Hell, today you should be able to just say, Alexa go to race mode or something. For a major car brand this is kind of nuts. The folks at Car and Driver were clearly not impressed. Typically folks buy cars like this, not because they are racers or pros (because folks like that tend to build their own cars), but because they aren't and want to have something they can drive to a track and just go (and they can afford an $80K toy and, sadly, I am actually in this class). This car isn't that, yes it is fast in the quarter, but I don't recall another major brand car that was this difficult to get into race mode.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

But a ton of extra steps. In a computer age there is no excuse that many steps on the configuration screen to make this happen. One script with a link. I'm not talking about the tires or the seat removal, I'm talking about the massive number of settings on the car screen. Hell, today you should be able to just say, Alexa go to race mode or something. For a major car brand this is kind of nuts. The folks at Car and Driver were clearly not impressed. Typically folks buy cars like this, not because they are racers or pros (because folks like that tend to build their own cars), but because they aren't and want to have something they can drive to a track and just go (and they can afford an $80K toy and, sadly, I am actually in this class). This car isn't that, yes it is fast in the quarter, but I don't recall another major brand car that was this difficult to get into race mode.
Perhaps, but it's a very minor point IMO considering the amazing performance this car is capable of.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 07-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Maybe, but it doesn't have to be this difficult. Basically a software patch would fix most of this. For a company having issues with decisions (not securing the software in the cars for instance) this would seem to me to be a foolish omission.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Maybe, but it doesn't have to be this difficult. Basically a software patch would fix most of this. For a company having issues with decisions (not securing the software in the cars for instance) this would seem to me to be a foolish omission.
I don't think you really grasp an understanding of these features or why they are developed the way they are. This isn't that far off of what normal drag racers do during every pass, but just with analog switches.

Ignition on.
Fuel pump on.
Engage starter.
Roll to the burnout box, hit brakes, engage line lock.
Burnout
Roll to the line, engage trans brake.
Launch.

Its a lot of steps regardless of vehicle, and some of the buttons here work independent of the whole system. Whats the point of drag racing if you can just tell the car to do it for you?

Instead of putting down the company, maybe just be happy we were bold enough to offer a product so enthusiast oriented, even if its not what you wanted. Not every company will be so kind to car lovers.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't understand the complaints of the "procedure" that is measured in seconds for a new car that does a 9 second quarter for $86 000.
Your other option (without recharging) is to build your own over the course of 6 months (sourcing, building, testing, repeat) for much more money and less reliability.
Like a good woman let's see this car for what it is and not for what it isn't

Love my f type!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Lot's of undeserved animosity out there against bikers.
It's deserved. Not a day goes by that I don't see a clown doing something like this. There's a reason in the medical field we call them donor cycles.