Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Thoughts on wheels...

Gents -

God, I hate threads like this...but...I'm having a surprisingly difficult time deciding on a new set of wheels. I have my preferences, but for some reason, it's just killing me. Anyway, would love to get some thoughts, perhaps something I haven't thought of etc.

Since we put the CF wheel idea to bed, i'm also ruling out HRE's and other more high end wheels - judge me if you must

I have it narrowed down to five different wheels (yes, 5) from two different manufacturers - they're all in the same ballpark price wise.

Forgestar
F14 - super deep concave
CF10 - deep concave
CF5V - deep concave

Wheels | Forgestar

Ferrada
FR1 - ridiculous concave
FR4 - ridiculous concave

Wheels - Ferrada WheelsFerrada Wheels

Apples to apples the forgeline wheels are a good bit lighter. I think our oem 20's are 32lb / 34lb (f/r)

The forgelines are prob 10lbs lighter per wheel.
The Ferrada wheels only about 6lbs lighter (fronts) and 4-5lbs lighter (rears).

I haven't seen any of these wheels in person, so if you all have, please chime in.

Jay

Old 04-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I haven't seen any of these in person, but of the choices presented FR1 in black. Your car is a Firesand convertical with black top?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Forgestar is a terrible company. If you want to wait 3 times the quoted production date and have mandatory nightmare customer service, buy from them.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Forgestar is a terrible company. If you want to wait 3 times the quoted production date and have mandatory nightmare customer service, buy from them.
And my malware filter blocks me from access to their website. They must be a real class act.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 PM

Clearly you guys get me and while I didn't realize Forgestar was such a terrible company (thanks for the heads up) - they weren't my first choice.

Correct, mine is Firesand with a black top. Was also leaning hard towards those F1's - I love the really deep concave look.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Might just be me, but all those Ferrada wheels look to be a bit of a pain to clean - the wedge shaped space at the end of each spoke just looks like a dirt/grit trap to me(?)

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Won't a very concave wheel mess up the offset?

Here the maximum change in offset legally allowed is 12.5mm but even if legal you would need to check clearance on guards etc.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 04-11-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2016, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Might just be me, but all those Ferrada wheels look to be a bit of a pain to clean - the wedge shaped space at the end of each spoke just looks like a dirt/grit trap to me(?)
Beauty can be painful unfortunately. My Savinis on my XF had that detail. I developed a quick way to clean with a piece of plastic wrapped in a microfiber cloth or a wipe. Wasn't too bad.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up BC-Forged

From your Ferrada choice I'd probably go for the FR4, cause I like radial designs with fine filigree spokes.

However, I also like their FR2 design, which have a y-spoke style like the BC-Forged set I've ordered and will be shipped and mounted this week!
BC Forged Wheels RS41 Series One Piece Forged Monoblock Design

I really had a hard time finding after market rims for Jaguar which would also come with lawful type approval for Switzerland. Fortunately I found Taiwanese BC-Forged who have a big choice of designs, build the product on order with your specs, ship it within 6 - 8 weeks (mine came after 3) and had an official dealer in my country who were able to give me the right papers as well... and best was the really fair price for the custom product!

Cheers and good luck with your wheel choice

Lyndon

Old 04-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Philly,

I think the Ferrada FR4 are sick and would look awesome. I never saw them before and would love them, but the 2 websites I found them on said they won't fit the F-type. Are you sure they will work? Good Luck as all the wheels are awesome, it's going to be a tough choice.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Won't a very concave wheel mess up the offset?

Here the maximum change in offset legally allowed is 12.5mm but even if legal you would need to check clearance on guards etc.
The specified offset for a wheel is the offset and will take account of the style. The OEM offset needs to be adjusted to account for width of the new wheel and desired extension.

A 15mm extension creates no issues even with a spring drop, so 12.5mm is certain.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pipper678
From your Ferrada choice I'd probably go for the FR4, cause I like radial designs with fine filigree spokes.

However, I also like their FR2 design, which have a y-spoke style like the BC-Forged set I've ordered and will be shipped and mounted this week!
BC Forged Wheels RS41 Series One Piece Forged Monoblock Design

I really had a hard time finding after market rims for Jaguar which would also come with lawful type approval for Switzerland. Fortunately I found Taiwanese BC-Forged who have a big choice of designs, build the product on order with your specs, ship it within 6 - 8 weeks (mine came after 3) and had an official dealer in my country who were able to give me the right papers as well... and best was the really fair price for the custom product!

Cheers and good luck with your wheel choice

Lyndon
I also like BC Forged. These would look nice on my car.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on wheels...-untitled.png  
Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
a bit of a pain to clean
And clean a lot you will. At least my S with upgraded brakes dusts A LOT, and this is before I really started using brakes.

Reminds me of 90s-era BMWs that had this property (not really a problem, since brakes work great for stopping).

Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Philly,

I think the Ferrada FR4 are sick and would look awesome. I never saw them before and would love them, but the 2 websites I found them on said they won't fit the F-type. Are you sure they will work? Good Luck as all the wheels are awesome, it's going to be a tough choice.

Am I *sure* they'll fit? Hmm...not yet. Once the West Coast opens up, I'm going to give a wheel shop out there a call. I think most online configuration say it won't fit because I'm going with non-standard size and offset. But supposedly, the right bolt pattern and acceptable offset (to me) is available...fingers crossed.

This is on their website...and supports my theory

Old 04-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I would check and see if the 20" MAELSTROM 5 TWIN-SPOKE FORGED ALLOY WHEELS WITH SATIN BLACK AND DIAMOND TURNED FINISH that are available on the 2017 F Type SVR can be ordered. They should bolt on.

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 PM

Finding wheels are going to be the death of me... Ferrada only come in 10.5" wide in 5x108

And forgestar have dodgy reputation at best.

Ugh, I might have to go get CCW to make me a set...but their ultra light weight setup only comes in 19"

Would you guys go from 20" to 19" just for the right fit / weight / etc?!

Old 04-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Absolutely yes, for the right wheel!

Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Finding wheels are going to be the death of me... Ferrada only come in 10.5" wide in 5x108

And forgestar have dodgy reputation at best.

Ugh, I might have to go get CCW to make me a set...but their ultra light weight setup only comes in 19"

Would you guys go from 20" to 19" just for the right fit / weight / etc?!
Feel your pain brutha... I've been vacillating on aftermarket wheel selection for over a year now. Every time I look, I find something different I like and something I thought I liked no longer appeals to me.

Have you looked at Niche wheels. Niche is a west coast mfg. with an extensive selection, custom forged, and priced about average.

Many are unaware of this little factoid but Niche manufactures wheels for about a dozen different popular brands. Some high end labels you might think are spinning their own wheels, sublet 100% of their mfg. to Niche.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Try Savini, they make cast and forged. I bought a set of cast that were custom bored in 5 x 108 for my XF. They also have a configurator with an f type so you can see how they look.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Try Savini, they make cast and forged. I bought a set of cast that were custom bored in 5 x 108 for my XF. They also have a configurator with an f type so you can see how they look.
Thanks, that configurator is pretty slick. Being able to choose the color or your car and body style is great. They have some nice looking custom forged wheel styles to choose from there, and you can specify both width and offset.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on wheels...