F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day Brake Pads for MY14 V8S

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Track Day Brake Pads for MY14 V8S

Gentlemen -- Anyone here track their car regularly?

I'm an Instructor & racer (have had my comp license for over 9 yrs) so am used to driving HARD. I usually race my Thunder Roadster at NASA events but am planning on putting The Sled into harm's way at Carolina Motorsports Park next month. That track is notorious for being hard on brakes & tires. When I had my Boxster S (2003 & 2008 model yrs), the OEM pads were not up to the task & had to go with PFC track pads.

I'm completely new to the Jaguar world so don't know what most people use at the track with this car. I only plan on doing one track weekend with this car to learn & test its limits. But I don't mind spending the necessary $ on a good set of pads. I am more than capable of swapping out pads myself so don't need to pay a shop to do it for me.

Of course, I could just baby the car around the track & not really test the OEM pads -- but what would the fun be in that? TIA for any help.

P.S. For S&G, here's a link to my YouTube channel of races in my Thunder Roadster & some other race cars of mine.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

There was talk elsewhere here of aftermarket pads being available for the F-Type (EBC?) but there was never a follow-up of anyone's first hand experience. The thread was more about excessive brake dust, so you could search for that.

I'm interested because my home track, now called Sonoma Raceway, is hard on brakes. There are a few heavy braking zones without a lot of cool down room between them. I'm looking to get back out with NASA and would consider a pad change too.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also curious. I got less than 6K and the tires and brakes are all roasted. Original pads are like $500. At Buttonwillow you can definitely tell that the brakes weren't up to par.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Sadly, there is an almost complete absence of any performance-related parts for this car.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Once he gets back from the Rolex-24, I'll get together with my friend at OGRacing who is a brake engineer & used to work for PFC & StopTech. As I understand it, the calipers are re-badged Brembos so i'm thinking there might be something already off-the-shelf that might fit. I don't need anything that'll fit the sensors as they won't be needed anyway. (I'll simply zip-tie them out of the way.)

If I find anything, I'll report back.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

RockAuto.com lists some Centric Posi Quiet metallics for the 2014 v8, no doubt cheaper than JLR OEM pads and the part # might give you something to go on/research.

sonny2 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Might be worth trying these. They are listed as available for your car.

Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Brake Pads - FREE SHIPPING

sonny2 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks, guys. But neither the EBC or Posi-Quiet are considered "track pads". At best, they are OEM replacements but no where near what is required of a track pad.

EBC Yellows have an operating range of 200*F-1400*F with a change in effectiveness over that range of a whopping 75%. IOW, they only retain 25% of their effectiveness as they heat up. A true track pad should only have a mu of less than 10%. I suspect the Centrics have the same qualities as they are not known to be a track pad manufacturer.

I'll keep on researching & speak to my friend who is a brakes system expert. I'll report back if I find anything.

Last edited by sonny2; 02-01-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Right, definitely not a track pad, but something to burn up at a reasonable price.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Right, definitely not a track pad, but something to burn up at a reasonable price.
Except if you're entering a brake zone at +150mph to haul down to ~45mph to negotiate a turn in our 3600# car, you want the confidence to know the brakes will work every single time. And that's just one turn out of many in any given road coarse. (Of course, not all of them are going to be at such extremes. But you get the idea.)

Pads like the EBC or Centric will easily overheat & become absolutely useless within 3 hard laps and where/when they start to fall off is completely unpredictable.

I'm not concerned about the cost of the pads. The cost of keeping my car (reasonably) safe is the trumping factor. I can afford to drop a couple hundred dollars on good track pads. OTOH, I cannot afford tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to the car (or having it totalled). And before anyone says anything, yes, I plan on purchasing track day insurance.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Not sure what pads are available for you car, but I do like the Pagids, am using now the RST-3 ones, but not for the track. These are great pads, very good cold bite, and only gets better when hotter. They love to eat rotors though ;-).

Here is a nice overview of their race pads, you may want other characteristics as the RST3s:
characteristics: PAGID RACING - Motorsport and High Performance Brake Pads

This company also seems well known for their racing pads, but I have no experience with them:
EndlessUSA

Here is their compound list:
http://www.endlessdata.info/Racing%2...et%20(web).pdf

They recommended ME20 to me, but as I was used to the older Pagid RS15, I went to the RST3

Last edited by avos; 02-01-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Exactly! Lucky to find pads at all!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sonny2
Except if you're entering a brake zone at +150mph to haul down to ~45mph to negotiate a turn in our 3600# car, you want the confidence to know the brakes will work every single time. And that's just one turn out of many in any given road coarse. (Of course, not all of them are going to be at such extremes. But you get the idea.)

Pads like the EBC or Centric will easily overheat & become absolutely useless within 3 hard laps and where/when they start to fall off is completely unpredictable.

I'm not concerned about the cost of the pads. The cost of keeping my car (reasonably) safe is the trumping factor. I can afford to drop a couple hundred dollars on good track pads. OTOH, I cannot afford tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to the car (or having it totalled). And before anyone says anything, yes, I plan on purchasing track day insurance.

Having done a fair amount of track time myself, I get it. However, as far as I can tell you're looking for "unobtainium pads" as far as the F-Type is concerned.

Perhaps your sources will turn up something that will fit, but it may well be that to get what you're talking about may require swapping out discs, calipers, and the whole shebang.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-01-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Default Same Brakes on the F-Type as the E60 M5 and E63/E64 M6???

Originally Posted by sonny2
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Once he gets back from the Rolex-24, I'll get together with my friend at OGRacing who is a brake engineer & used to work for PFC & StopTech. As I understand it, the calipers are re-badged Brembos so i'm thinking there might be something already off-the-shelf that might fit. I don't need anything that'll fit the sensors as they won't be needed anyway. (I'll simply zip-tie them out of the way.)

If I find anything, I'll report back.
Does it mean anything that Pagid Racing lists the same pads for the E60 M5 and E63/E64 M6s? PAGID RACING - Motorsport and High Performance Brake Pads

Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny
Does it mean anything that Pagid Racing lists the same pads for the E60 M5 and E63/E64 M6s? PAGID RACING - Motorsport and High Performance Brake Pads
I've heard good reviews from people running those pads on BMWs for track use.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For what it's worth, I took mine(V6) to Buttonwillow and the stock brakes held up all day surprisingly well. No fade at all. I actually felt a little silly after talking so much smack about the floating calipers.

It wasn't 150MPH but the home stretch was 120~ into a hard left. A couple other tight turns were similar speeds.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:48 PM

As far as I know, there are 3 distinct brake packages on the f-type, plus the carbon ceramic. They each use a different pad, so you can't actually list a pad as 'fitting the f-type' without specifying which variant. That said the only reference I've seen for Pagid pads was for V6 model(s), not sure which... The OP has a V8.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by mshedden
As far as I know, there are 3 distinct brake packages on the f-type, plus the carbon ceramic. They each use a different pad, so you can't actually list a pad as 'fitting the f-type' without specifying which variant. That said the only reference I've seen for Pagid pads was for V6 model(s), not sure which... The OP has a V8.
Yes, a lot of times the dealer will make multiple versions of the pads which have insignificant difference, but in the aftermarket they'll just make one version that fits all.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Yes, a lot of times the dealer will make multiple versions of the pads which have insignificant difference, but in the aftermarket they'll just make one version that fits all.
However, the F-Type variants involve different diameter discs. Using the same size pads would obviate the advantage of the larger diameter discs.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:35 AM

Unfortunately, my source says, as of now, there are no track oriented brake pads for the V8S. There are EBC Yellow & Red but he does not recommend using them because of the inherent problem with EBC pads in general. I'm at the track now & will give a follow up report as to how the car did if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Track Day Brake Pads for MY14 V8S