F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading M240i for F-Type 400. Am I mad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate everyone's insights!
I did go to see and test-drove the 400 Sport I was considering. The stunning exterior looks (this car is freakin HOT) quickly gave way to some issues. At idle the motor was rattling like a bag of bolts. I read on this forum that it is normal for a cold motor to tick, but I'd be embarrassed to stop at a red light if my fancy car sounded like that. The seat bolster was worn out, subframe and many components underneath were quite rusty, power lift-gate didn't work, differential made lumpy noises in a tight turn, and during the test-drive two warning ⚠️ lights (one amber and one red) came on and stayed on the dash. At only 75,000km it didn't age well at all.

Driving experience of the F-Type compared to the BMW is definitely more... exotic. It's just more raw, more dramatic, more exciting, albeit markedly less refined. I absolutely loved the seating position, the view from the mirrors, the noise, and just how the car made you feel. But I also noticed a few rattles and squeaks, worn out buttons, and dated displays. For a GT car it is also surprisingly loud in the cabin at cruise.
​​​​
My m240 is same year and mileage as the Jag. Getting back into the BMW felt like sitting in a brand new car after driving a muscle-car from the early 2000s. Of course, this is in large part due to this particular F-Type's condition, maintenance, etc, but it is also just the more brutish nature of the Jag.

​​​On an romantic vs rational scale; the drive offered the emotional reward I was searching for, while my confidence that it will make a refined, reliable daily has gone down.

Needless to say, I walked away from this particular 400 Sport, but I won't be dismissing the F-Type from my search.

Old 04-22-2024, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh83

I traded in my FBO stage 2+ M235i for an F-Type. The only thing I really miss is that the Bimmer was xDrive and the Jag is RWD. Also, the BMW world has way more aftermarket support. The N55 is probably on par with the AJ engines as far as reliability, but the B58 is a beast. The F-Type definitely feels more special, if less practical. I have no regrets about the trade at all.
​​​​​​Love your style! Both of these are awesome. Depends on the type of driving I suppose but each of these is great at what it does. Jaguar is objectively gorgeous. BMW is a classic Euro coupe nugget in best tradition of E30 and E46.

Last edited by Yuros; 04-22-2024 at 01:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
josh83 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 04:50 AM
Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Good call walking away. This forum has seen diff issues, that one likely was going down that path. And yes, the engine is definitely noisy on a cold idle. Warmed up, it clatters bit but the ticking goes away. My dad's XJ is the same.

I'm also a fan of the BMW philosophy, mainly from their dedication to the manual transmission. That's where my E46 comes, in always amazed at that cars driving dynamics for a car that's nearly 25 years old.

Also, the F-Type definitely does lack some refinement. When I drive my mom's GLC43 AMG it feels like a new car, like you said with your BMW. My F-Type feels nice, but not nearly as refined. But that's not why I have it - the performance, sound, looks, and full package make me love it every time I drive.