Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts
Default Upgrading rear brakes

I have the High Performance brakes, which means I have the "base" 326 mm rear rotors. I also have a near new set of drilled and slotted 376 mm rear rotors, removed from my old XFR before sale. These rotors are the same as the F-Type Super Performance rear rotors.
So, three questions:
If I can get a pair of the Super Performance rear calipers, would they bolt straight on (maybe with a different bracket or two)?
What about the EPBs on each side, will they also bolt on (again, maybe need different brackets)?
Last but not least, could I use the same brake lines or would I need specific Super Performance lines?

Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I don't claim to know much about brakes, but I would think if you had the same size on the front and rear, you would activate ABS on the rear much more easily.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, maybe I could have been clearer.
I have the High Performance brakes, which means 380 mm front and 326 mm rear.
The "base" Performance brakes are 355 mm front and 326 mm rear, and the Super Performance brakes are 380 mm front and 376 mm rear, exactly the same as my old XFR except the rear set-up is quite possibly different due to the completely different EPB set-up. The XFR has a single EPB motor which operates two cables, one to each brake caliper, whereas the F-Type has two separate EPB motors, one attached to each rear caliper.
I'm trying to find out exactly what is needed to upgrade the rear brakes from 326 mm to 376 mm, as I already have the rotors.
But you could have a point there, maybe after an upgrade I would need to get the ABS re-calibrated.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

While I don't know this for sure; i would imagine the different brake packages also come with a different proportioning valve. The proportioning valve in vehicles with smaller rear brakes would send more pressure to the rear of the vehicle, potentially around a 50-50 split between front and rear. But the valve on the super performance brakes would likely send more pressure up front since the vehicle has more mechanical advantage in the rear with the larger rotors; maybe closer to a 65-35 split. Some OEMs code this into the software and direct it with a pump in the ABS unit, and others have a physical valve (I have no idea what Jaguar does without looking). If you didn't make a change here, you'd experience rear lockup more quickly than desired and have ABS cut in on you before the front brakes lockup at all; so this is the most important part to figure out regarding an upgrade of this sort.

That being said people ignore this when doing big brake kits all the time, and rarely are there major issues during normal driving. This situation is just a little more extreme because you're only upgrading one set of brakes rather than all four corners.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member

Update.
I have found the part numbers for the 376 mm rear brake calipers - TRW BHS 1351E and 1352E (these are the red ones, the black ones are 1349E and 1350E).
They come with the EPB motors integrated.
So all I need to know now is will they simply swap "plug and play" with the existing 326 mm calipers, ie will they bolt straight up to the existing caliper carriers or not?
The workshop manual is absolutely useless, it doesn't differentiate between the two different brake sizes at all and it shows the exact same procedure and pictures for removing and replacing the calipers regardless of which brakes are fitted.
I know the 376 calipers and pads are almost the exact same size as the 326 ones, and the extra size is entirely down to the larger diameter of the rotors, which have a big central blank area. This pushes the pad contact area out a bit further from the hub, so logically you would think that the mounting spots on the caliper carriers would also be pushed out further, in which case the 376 mm calipers should not bolt straight up to the 326 mm carriers and I would need to get new carriers as well. But maybe not, maybe the location of the mounting bolt holes on the 376 mm calipers are moved/changed so that they still fit the 326 mm carriers, ie the same carriers are used for both the 326 and 376 mm brakes? I have a feeling this may be the case as I cannot find any hint anywhere of different rear caliper carriers for the F-Type other than for the CCM brakes.
Anyone know for sure?

Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

They are plug and play

OzXFR (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

I would expect that the calliper carriers are where the difference in rotor diameter (and possibly offset) are compensated for.

Have you measured the offset of the two sets of rotors to check if they're the same?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I've found a pair of these calipers in the UK, new and going cheap, so I've made the seller an offer, see how it goes.
Even if for some reason they don't fit or don't work I should be able to sell them for at least what they cost me.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I keep asking myself the same question on rear calipers. When you finish with this project, could you turn traction control off and do some threshold braking? Make sure you leave plenty room around and prepare yourself for a rear to slide.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I keep asking myself the same question on rear calipers. When you finish with this project, could you turn traction control off and do some threshold braking? Make sure you leave plenty room around and prepare yourself for a rear to slide.
OK, will do.
I just bought the calipers for around 1/3 of the normal cost, now I just need the Porterfield R4S pad group buy to get going and awaaaaay I go!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Traction control has nothing to do with threshold braking. The abs remains fully engaged regardless of the traction setting.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Traction control has nothing to do with threshold braking. The abs remains fully engaged regardless of the traction setting.
Correct. My line of thinking - rear brake bias induces instability, with traction control engaged you might not notice this outside track speeds. Personally, I don't think it would happen but the only way to know for sure is test.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Correct. My line of thinking - rear brake bias induces instability, with traction control engaged you might not notice this outside track speeds. Personally, I don't think it would happen but the only way to know for sure is test.
Got it now.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I now need some help!
I've done a bit more research and worked out that I need different caliper carriers/brackets and different splash shields, to go from what the parts catalogues call 17" rear brakes to 19" rear brakes.
The part numbers I need are:
T2R7694 - right side red caliper bracket
T2R7698 - left side red caliper bracket
C2P12704 - right side splash shield
C2P12705 - left side splash shield
There are one of each of these showing on Fleabay, but only one seller and the prices they want are horrendous. My local dealer would almost certainly charge way more than that and take forever to get them in, so that's not a viable option.
But Jaguar Land Rover Reno Parts - https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts.com/ - have them for way less, pretty good prices really, but as far as I can figure out they don't ship to Oz.
So I'm asking if one of our US based members can get them for me and arrange shipping to me, and I'll buy them a slab or two for the trouble, on top of the cost (slab is Aussie for "case of beer").

Old 08-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Better prices yet at Land Rover Parts and Jaguar Spares | Britcar UK Ltd AND they will ship to anywhere in the world.

A slab of Foster's would do just fine .

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-06-2017 at 08:35 PM.
OzXFR (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks oh Unhingd one!
I just checked out their site and yes they list all of those parts and yes their prices are good.
I will wait for confirmation that the calipers are on the way, then buy the remaining parts from Britcar.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
OK, I now need some help!
I've done a bit more research and worked out that I need different caliper carriers/brackets and different splash shields, to go from what the parts catalogues call 17" rear brakes to 19" rear brakes.
The part numbers I need are:
T2R7694 - right side red caliper bracket
T2R7698 - left side red caliper bracket
C2P12704 - right side splash shield
C2P12705 - left side splash shield
There are one of each of these showing on Fleabay, but only one seller and the prices they want are horrendous. My local dealer would almost certainly charge way more than that and take forever to get them in, so that's not a viable option.
But Jaguar Land Rover Reno Parts - https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts.com/ - have them for way less, pretty good prices really, but as far as I can figure out they don't ship to Oz.
So I'm asking if one of our US based members can get them for me and arrange shipping to me, and I'll buy them a slab or two for the trouble, on top of the cost (slab is Aussie for "case of beer").

Hi,

does it mean that everything else like callipers can remain the same as for 325 mm?

I have also 380 mm and 325 mm rotors and would like to change my rear rotors to 375 mm.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by diplomat
Hi,

does it mean that everything else like callipers can remain the same as for 325 mm?

I have also 380 mm and 325 mm rotors and would like to change my rear rotors to 375 mm.
I don't know for sure yet, but it seems to be the case.
Except you do need new calipers and caliper brackets.
Looking through various parts lists the part numbers for all the other bits and pieces (caliper slide pins, bracket bolts, brake lines etc) are all the same.

My list of replacement parts is:

- rotors
- calipers (with integrated EPBs)
- caliper brackets
- splash shields
- brake pads

I'm about to pull the pin on the parts I don't have yet so I should be tackling this job in two or three weeks' time.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Better prices yet at Land Rover Parts and Jaguar Spares | Britcar UK Ltd AND they will ship to anywhere in the world.

A slab of Foster's would do just fine .
Thanks again Lance, I just bought the needed parts from Britcar, great prices and great service, they are a pleasure to deal with.
The calipers arrived this morning, they are the kosher items, so now I just need to order new brake pads and it's all systems go!
(PS - no true Aussie drinks Fosters any more, my favourite at the moment is Coopers Sparkling Ale, makes everything else taste like lemonade!).

Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Didn't Cambo mention something about a balancing valve? I would think without changing anything other than the brakes, the rears would activate ABS more readily than they used to. (I'm assuming bigger brakes/pads apply more braking force given the same brake fluid pressure.)