F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 s motor blown after only two months

Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 s motor blown after only two months

Wondering if anyone else has had it's happen to their v6s... Trying to get new vehicle from jaguar...anyone w answers or help? thanks

Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Is that a coupe or a convertible?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have any details about the engine failure ? Did it happen while
tracking the car or during normal use ? How many miles ? Which kind of problems you saw at the engine ?

Thanks
Ulrich

Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM

Under normal use with less than 3k miles...their saying it threw a rod

Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM

The car is a convertible...

Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkindt
Wondering if anyone else has had it's happen to their v6s... Trying to get new vehicle from jaguar...anyone w answers or help? thanks
Welcome to the forum Tkindt,

I'm only sorry it has to be in such catastrophic circumstances but am sure how you get on with this engine failure will be of great interest to all other F-Type owners.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Tkindt,

I'm only sorry it has to be in such catastrophic circumstances but am sure how you get on with this engine failure will be of great interest to all other F-Type owners.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
This forum has alot of members from all over the world. I love how we have many from the UK as well. I am sure Jaguar will take care of your problem!!!!! We (jaguar and its fans like myself) do NOT want bad press!!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I may be wrong but the lemon law won't apply in this case right? It will be instructional to see how this pans out. I have a feeling Jaguar might try to back pedal out of this one. Let's hope not and you get the prompt service you deserve!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I may be wrong but the lemon law won't apply in this case right? It will be instructional to see how this pans out. I have a feeling Jaguar might try to back pedal out of this one. Let's hope not and you get the prompt service you deserve!
Lemon Law varies by state, so would depend on his state I guess.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 PM

Waiting to hear reply from Jaguar Corp. ..Spoke to dealer today on getting new v 8s convertible..

Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Why do you think they will back pedal? I would think they will do whatever they can to keep him happy. This is the Halo car. Do you think they will want any bad press?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I've not had any personal experience with Jaguar concerning problems as I have not had any and I'm on the third Jag.. this time F type R.
However, last year I was talking with a Jaguar mechanic who is a friend and he showed be a V-8 block with a hole in the side and said someone put a rod right through it. First time he ever saw this over many years at the dealer.
The customer was pretty upset about it and complained that the engine was somehow inferior.. customer didn't know that they can download everything the engine has done over time.
Turns out he ran it 'away over' the red line on aggressive downshifts a number of times and finally blew it, and the mechanic thought he would be told to pay for it himself as its severe abuse. Jaguar came back and said in spite of the reason, they would replace it.
I was really surprised as I can't imagine Ford, Chrysler etc. doing the same thing.. when you consider what they did a year ago with an abuse issue, I suspect this issue will get worked out no problem, although I'm not sure of any upgrades being thrown in.
Actually it caused me to be more careful around downshift after I heard this story.
Lawrence.

Arland Green (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Still have not heard from anyone at jaguar corp...trying to work out deal w dealer to get v8s convertible...hope I hear from jaguar direct soon...this is really aggravating...

Old 08-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I've not had any personal experience with Jaguar concerning problems as I have not had any and I'm on the third Jag.. this time F type R.
However, last year I was talking with a Jaguar mechanic who is a friend and he showed be a V-8 block with a hole in the side and said someone put a rod right through it. First time he ever saw this over many years at the dealer.
The customer was pretty upset about it and complained that the engine was somehow inferior.. customer didn't know that they can download everything the engine has done over time.
Turns out he ran it 'away over' the red line on aggressive downshifts a number of times and finally blew it, and the mechanic thought he would be told to pay for it himself as its severe abuse. Jaguar came back and said in spite of the reason, they would replace it.
I was really surprised as I can't imagine Ford, Chrysler etc. doing the same thing.. when you consider what they did a year ago with an abuse issue, I suspect this issue will get worked out no problem, although I'm not sure of any upgrades being thrown in.
Actually it caused me to be more careful around downshift after I heard this story.
Lawrence.
Interesting. The manual says you can over-rev it going up the gears in dynamic mode, but I didn't notice it saying anything about downshifts. Logical though.

Downshift over-rev is likely to be much more pronounced than on upshifts, as you cannot miss the gear or select the wrong one on an automatic...

Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Interesting. The manual says you can over-rev it going up the gears in dynamic mode, but I didn't notice it saying anything about downshifts. Logical though.

Downshift over-rev is likely to be much more pronounced than on upshifts, as you cannot miss the gear or select the wrong one on an automatic...
Yes, it caught me as a bit of a surprise.. we didn't discuss any detail though. I thought his comment to me that the computer capturing the engine rev's and so forth was a good wake-up call to be more careful around downshifts. It must have really surprised their 'customer' who was livid about the engine blowing, meanwhile it was apparently abuse.
Years ago I had a chrysler product, 318 cu.in. engine go out on me and I did not miss a shift or over rev it.. chrysler was really crappy to deal with, so I was impressed with Jaguar.
I suppose the guy that put a rod through the block was perhaps a repeat customer as well.
My old school upbringing tells me that the 0-20 oil is just too thin for these high performance engines, even with the newer oils. I already went around the circuit on that one with the local dealer who told me I had to use this weight (I wanted to switch to 5-30 synthetic, same brand) or possibly risk the warranty. My instinct is probably wrong, yet I do realize they go with this super thin oil for the gas mileage regulations. My last Jaguar was the XKR and it used 5-30... same engine.
As a second thought, I suspect an experience engine builder could take a look at a blown engine and be pretty accurate around the cause.
Lawrence.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Yes, it caught me as a bit of a surprise.. we didn't discuss any detail though. I thought his comment to me that the computer capturing the engine rev's and so forth was a good wake-up call to be more careful around downshifts. It must have really surprised their 'customer' who was livid about the engine blowing, meanwhile it was apparently abuse.
Years ago I had a chrysler product, 318 cu.in. engine go out on me and I did not miss a shift or over rev it.. chrysler was really crappy to deal with, so I was impressed with Jaguar.
I suppose the guy that put a rod through the block was perhaps a repeat customer as well.
My old school upbringing tells me that the 0-20 oil is just too thin for these high performance engines, even with the newer oils. I already went around the circuit on that one with the local dealer who told me I had to use this weight (I wanted to switch to 5-30 synthetic, same brand) or possibly risk the warranty. My instinct is probably wrong, yet I do realize they go with this super thin oil for the gas mileage regulations. My last Jaguar was the XKR and it used 5-30... same engine.
As a second thought, I suspect an experience engine builder could take a look at a blown engine and be pretty accurate around the cause.
Lawrence.
A friend's business is the design, build and supply of race engines for rally cars. The ECU logs what the engine has been doing, along with any attempt to wipe the memory (impossible without burning it, apparently). He also has a widget on the block which permanently changes state if the engine exceeds a particular rpm (based on the frequency at which the block is vibrating). So, yes.

Porsche Service Departments can also tell exactly how much time has been spent above certain rpm thresholds on current models.

Mulmur (08-02-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Was trying to do deal to get 2014 v8s convertible...dealer put number on my car w 22k negative equity...told him I would do half if jaguar split it w me...jaguar refused to do deal...now I have to get attorney involved. ..great customer service! !!