F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S Active Exhaust Options, res delete, X pipe, etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
Default V6S Active Exhaust Options, res delete, X pipe, etc

My 16 S AWD was optioned with the Switchable exhaust, In loud mode the car sounds great and has amazing pops and crackles, especially if you know how to modulate and tap the throttle on over run, it goes on for seconds at a time, I'm still not sure If I'm gonna change anything, I wouldn't want it overly loud or raspy, or loose my valve control. I thought about doing a resonator delete but heard one with the Base exhaust and the Car sounded way too raspy for me, Did not like the tone, I think the stock tone is great albeit a little on the Raspy side. Would doing an X pipe instead of a straight make it less raspy and sound better? anyone try this? What about installing an Aftermarket Resonated X pipe, such as the one that Magnaflow offers, I installed one on my friends B8 S4 and it sounded great, Im only worried that the stock Resonator is already so free flow the Magnaflow would possibly make it quieter, I'm only looking for a 15-20% increase in sound, a smoother tone and some louder pops, Has to be warranty Friendly as well, and keep my stock rear muffler with valves, Thank you, any comment or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a resonator delete and installed the closest thing to a X-pipe that I could working with the pipes less than 1" apart. You can go to the post and hear the sound.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...nstall-208912/

Old 12-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Thank you, videos are always hard to tell, is the exhaust a lot more raspy, or did it get deeper and more exotic sounding, I wonder if the active exhaust would be much different, I really don't want to make the exhaust raspier.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:47 PM

In my opinion, it is less raspy with a lower tone. There is a marginal difference in loudness. It doesn't have Active Exhaust so it is like always having it ON. It still sounds like a V6 and not a V8. If you don't like it it will be easy to change it back. I liked it better.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:00 PM

Im not trying to get it to sound like a v8, really just clean it up and make it more of a howl with a little less rasp, but I don't want to make it any quieter. Without the active exhaust it just as loud? with my valves open, and a non active exhaust F type my dealer had in dynamic mine sounded louder, maybe just not broken in. How is the start up and idle, big difference? any drone?

Old 12-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

To avoid increasing raspiness on a V6, stay away from the 200 cell cats or deleting the resonator. A huge improvement in sound, resonance, tone and overrun comes from bypassing the muffler as was done on the OEM V8 mufflers and the VAP Valvetronic mufflers when the dynamic exhaust is selected. In dynamic mode, the exhaust on the V6 still runs through a portion of the OEM muffler.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 PM

There is no more drone. The sound clips that I posted are a very accurate representation of the sound. Both were done from the same distance behind the car and represent a startup, revs, and hold at 3000 RPM. Decide for yourself if you like it better or take another approach. This was the easiest and least expensive for me to try.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:57 PM

I don't wan't to loose the ability to operate the valves, its a great feature, What do you think about replacing the Resonator with an aftermarket unit, like the Magnaflow X pipe I Stated, Im only looking for that last 10% percent. Or are there any other resonators out there to put in place of the stock unit.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

The big risk with removing the stock resonator on the V6 is drone, that is why the V6 has a resonator from the factory but the V8 does not.
It's simply the nature of a V6 (firing order, exhaust pulses, scavenging effect etc), pretty much all of them drone without a resonator.
On a V8 with a resonator but no X-pipe it makes sense to chop out the resonator and replace it with an X-pipe, that is what I did on my old XFR (albeit I put in an H-pipe rather than an X-pipe but no real difference), it resulted in a beefier exhaust note, a small increase in low down torque and zero drone, but it doesn't work like that on a V6 where it is odds on you will get drone and zero increase or even a loss of torque and power.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 PM

Hmm thanks for the response, is yours stock? I'm still not sure if im gonna change it all, Sport cats are not an option due to warranty, I like the quicksilver system, but pricey. Any other ideas what to do with the factory resonator, such as replace it with a higher flow unit?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
Hmm thanks for the response, is yours stock? I'm still not sure if im gonna change it all, Sport cats are not an option due to warranty, I like the quicksilver system, but pricey. Any other ideas what to do with the factory resonator, such as replace it with a higher flow unit?
My exhaust is stock, albeit it is the full active/switchable one.
Mine is now plenty loud enough for my liking, the addition of the larger crank pulley and VAP tune has somehow beefed it up quite a bit, on top of the big increase in supercharger whine.
My advice is to leave your exhaust alone then as soon as the car is out of warranty get the crank pulley and tune, but I suppose it depends on when your warranty expires and how long you can wait!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 PM

Oh Boy My warranty doesn't end till 2021, and Im in no means patient, So i guess ill keep it stock, and when I have some cash lying around ill go experiment with different resonators. Or unless I just bite the bullet and get the Quicksilver system this summer.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 AM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Get the VelocityAP valvetronic system. Retains valve functionality but the tone is improved. If it's too loud, you can probably replace the stock resonator with a larger one although that will require modification.

This is from personal experience btw, I bought both the Quicksilver system and the VelocityAP "Sports" level system on my previous V6. The Quicksilver exhaust did my head in with all the drone, which only worsened once I installed 200 cell cats. The VAP system with the 200 cell cats was ever so slightly too loud but the tone was perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe the valvetronic exhaust with valves closed is slightly quieter than stock with the valves open. Then obviously significantly louder than stock once you open the valves.

Removing the stock resonator will just lead to a whole lot of loud, unrefined raspiness (in my opinion, search the forum and you can find videos).

Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Of course, I’m biased, but the sweetest sound (and more than adequate sound level) can be achieved on the V6 by adding a quad VAP Valvetronic muffler (for the V8) to an otherwise stock V6 exhaust system.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Hmm, that would also require a change of the Diffuser as well, and Im actually a fan of the dual center Exhaust, reminds me of my dads E type, Would the Valvetronic for the V6 sound basically the same? another option I thought about was Installing two electronic cutouts right before the Muffler after the Resonator, Basically when open By passing the stock muffler. Cutouts seem to be around 150 a piece for good ones, and prob another 100 for instal and wiring, seems like it may be a good option to test out. and basically have 4 levels of adjustment, closed valves, closed cutouts, open valves, closed cutouts, closed valves, open cutouts, and open valves, and open cutouts for the loudest setting. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
Hmm, that would also require a change of the Diffuser as well, and Im actually a fan of the dual center Exhaust, reminds me of my dads E type, Would the Valvetronic for the V6 sound basically the same? another option I thought about was Installing two electronic cutouts right before the Muffler after the Resonator, Basically when open By passing the stock muffler. Cutouts seem to be around 150 a piece for good ones, and prob another 100 for instal and wiring, seems like it may be a good option to test out. and basically have 4 levels of adjustment, closed valves, closed cutouts, open valves, closed cutouts, closed valves, open cutouts, and open valves, and open cutouts for the loudest setting. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I can’t comment on how the dual (V6) VAP Valvetronic sounds compared with the quad. I’m not certain whether anyone on this forum has ever fitted the V6 version of the Valvetronic to an otherwise stock exhaust.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I can’t comment on how the dual (V6) VAP Valvetronic sounds compared with the quad. I’m not certain whether anyone on this forum has ever fitted the V6 version of the Valvetronic to an otherwise stock exhaust.
I've just installed it, it sounds great, I'm a big fan. It was just what I was looking for...same as before with valve closed (albeit a different and dare I say it an even nicer tone, not that I thought there was anything wrong before), and a more aggressive tone and volume when valves opened but without being overbearing (but definitely with a much-welcomed added pop and crackle). I have no other mods, just this. In fact I found the stock exhaust a little bit drony at motorway speeds whereas now I leave the valves open all the time, sounds so much sweeter.

I copied another UK owner, who put a brief vid of his install here: https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewto...=960&start=170

Old 12-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I've been struggling with this as well.

Unfortunately, I just can't justify $2k for a muffler and tips but on the flip side, there aren't many bolt on options given the size of the market. I have been thinking of custom fabricating my own bolt on system using an off the shelf muffler. The other option which I'm really leaning on is cutting open the stock muffler and removing some baffling etc. to get some more noise. You can weld it open from the top and it'll look completely factory when looking at the muffler from the bottom of the car.

I took the muffler off completely and drive around and my god, it sounds fantastic, but there are a lot of vibrations and a tremendous amount of drone. Between removing the muffler or the resonator, there's no comparison. Removing the muffler equates to a ton of vibration, drone, etc. while a resonator delete adds a bit of volume and some raspiness.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 AM

so that brings me back to doing electronic exhaust cutouts, Right Before the Muffler, Open them up when you want the extra noise. Could probably be accomplished for under 400 dollars. Anyone want to be a tester for that, anyone know the size of the stock exhaust? 2.5inches? 3? did u take any videos with the muffler removed? how did it sound, a lot louder or not so much, more pops and crackles?

Old 12-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Video of my muffler completely removed.

It sounds great from outside, but there's a decent amount of drone inside. Those that have the VAP exhaust -- how does this note compare? I'm assuming you guys have no drone, but in terms of loudness, how would you compare?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2818_Trim_Short.mov (3.89 MB, 106 views)

Last edited by Jaggyx; 12-17-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: V6S Active Exhaust Options, res delete, X pipe, etc