F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle information menu item disabled

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle information menu item disabled

What's up all. After about 2 weeks of being brainwashed into buying this car by my little brother (totally worth it, btw) I've finally acquired an F-Type.

Everything's been great so far, but the Vehicle Information section of the onboard menu is disabled. Anyone have any hints as to how to reenable it? I really want to see the oil level, lol.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Try a battery reset?
Similar concept to rebooting a PC.
Just remove the negative/earth lead, leave it off for about 30 seconds, then reconnect it.
You will lose your clock time, date, Trip A and Trip B and one touch window up, but all are easy to reset.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:06 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

If it's the menu I'm thinking of, I think the engine has to be off. Confused me forever as well.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
If it's the menu I'm thinking of, I think the engine has to be off. Confused me forever as well.
+1

Old 04-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
+1
+2.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Some features don't work while driving. Follow instructions in the manual for oil level, car has to have run and then I think it takes 5-10 minutes before you can get a good reading if I recall.
Congratulations on the car and welcome to the forum! Are you still "m" powered or only cat powered now? R or S powered? Post some photos.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-16-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

The vehicle info gives you the oil level.

Drive around until the car is warm. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Check it with the engine off.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 AM

Thanks for the replies, all! Finally got a readout tonight. Looks like the cat has a tad too much oil in her.

Also thanks for the warm welcome jaguny -- I'll be sure to make an intro post after a wash

Old 04-18-2017, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member

You're welcome. I only recently recognized you can get your VIN from the info center. Not sure why I didn't notice it before.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
You're welcome. I only recently recognized you can get your VIN from the info center. Not sure why I didn't notice it before.
Please note, I am pretty sure the following information applies to 2011-2013 xf Base and Portfolio packages (meaning 385 HP, with no upgrade features like the Supercharged or XFR models do:

Hello, I too am in search of the elusive, if not now mythical, Instrument Panel Menu I stumbled upon a way of accessing it on my Jaguar xf 2012. Thankfully, I found the answer however it is buried in the big paragraph like...well, like an Easter egg.

This post is for those truly unfortunate folks whom don't own a steering wheel with the word "Menu" to be found anywhere much less a pad of buttons. So about 90% of the responses asking about access to the Instrument Panel Menu, say very directs attention to the apparently useful Menu button after which it may be possible, and please don't castigate me if I'm wrong, you can do anything up to and including solve the Schrodinger equation. I am one of those unfortunate wretches who's steering wheel is "menuless". Through sheer trial and error over the years, I finally discovered that if you successively push the Trip button on the end of the the stick on the left side of the steering column, live onboard data shows up the bottom of the center display on the instrument panel below the clock or Jaguar logo or whichever feature you have; that's how one scrolls through each of the stats like, fuel range, average MPG, average speed, etc. Not terrible but here the cold water. Some time after I crunched my left front quarter panel pretty badly 6 months ago, after repair, I lost my multi-function Instrument Panel display (yes, even without that darn Menu button on the steering wheel) that include more than just one stat at a time. I mean it would show the digital speedometer, miles, average speed however as I remember there were several stats you had to scroll through. For the life of me I don't recall how I accessed it or what mechanism I used to to change functions on the multi-function display.

As I said, I stumbled across this solution. I will also keep trying to remember how to get at, and use that unicorn multi-function display. If I find it I'll let you know I promise. Lastly, somebody in an earlier post noted that the Instrument Panel and it's functions for all intents and purposes should be reset after disconnecting the battery. In my case, crunch from an accident aside, I wonder if disconnecting the battery actually reset my Instrument Panel board and thereby lost the previous access to the previously easily accessed car function parameters. I further wonder if there is some factory configured way to activate this feature by a combination of button pushes, or incantations, lets say. Geez, at this point, it might even be worth dropping some money to turn someone inside Jaguar Land Rover to get the secret formula. If this method doesn't work for you, I recommend you call the car maker and tell them how annoyed we all are, that they won't give us the Unicorn Fix.

--Paul

Old 05-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

What are you going on about and why are you talking about xf jags when this is the F type forum!!!!!

Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timbo
What are you going on about ....?
Enquring minds (in this case) don’t want to know.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:59 PM

That...is a wonderful question.

Out of respect for [i]nquiring minds and those who apparently still hold a grudge because they didn't buy an xf, it will remain a secret.

In the meantime, please trust that I shall hang my head low and unsubscribe from this subthread immediately.

I will not be back until I'm invited or I buy an F-Type Jag, neither of which seem likely at this point.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Originally Posted by pchealth55
That...is a wonderful question.

Out of respect for [i]nquiring minds and those who apparently still hold a grudge because they didn't buy an xf, it will remain a secret.

In the meantime, please trust that I shall hang my head low and unsubscribe from this subthread immediately.

I will not be back until I'm invited or I buy an F-Type Jag, neither of which seem likely at this point.
Paul,

I see this is your second post on the forum. Not sure if you found the f type forum via a search for an answer or by mistake, I wouldn't steer off on a sour note. We are generally a helpful bunch. I believe all are welcome if the info here is helpful to you. We need to be a bit more patient with a new member, regardless of which car they own. In short, you are invited to stay and if you buy an f type great, but not required. We even have former f type owners who abandoned us for another brand. Regards.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Paul,

I see this is your second post on the forum. Not sure if you found the f type forum via a search for an answer or by mistake, I wouldn't steer off on a sour note. We are generally a helpful bunch. I believe all are welcome if the info here is helpful to you. We need to be a bit more patient with a new member, regardless of which car they own. In short, you are invited to stay and if you buy an f type great, but not required. We even have former f type owners who abandoned us for another brand. Regards.
+1.