Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia International Raceway: April 11-12

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 12:50 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Virginia International Raceway: April 11-12

Greetings!

I take part in a Ferrari Club of America track event each year. This year, the event is on April 11-12. This is a private track day/High Performance Driver Education experience on one of the great road courses, VIR. It is open to drivers of select other makes and models. I've been on the track with my XK and F-Type at VIR and it is a wonderful experience. I'd love to get a few more F-Types out there this year.
What's great about this event: high quality instructors, lots of track time, great 3.3 mile track with high speed and technical sections and elevation changes, limited participation so you have a lot of space on track.
The cost tends to be about $800-900 for both days and includes an instructor (mandatory) for novice track drivers.

Please let me know if you have serious interest in the event and I will keep you informed as the group releases registration information. If you have never been on a track, this is an excellent first event. If you are a track rat, you'll love mixing it up with Astons, Ferraris, 911's, etc. in the more advanced run groups.

Please send me an email here if interested:
peterpa2@hotmail.com

Note: I participate in this event but am not an organizer and do not benefit or profit from it in any way. I'm just hoping to share the fun with some other F-Type owners out on the track at VIR!

The following users liked this post:
DJS (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick question as I have never done one of these - can you drive a convertible? If so, are there any other equipment requirements? Thanks!

Old 01-17-2022, 08:02 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Re: Convertibles

Each organization, track, and event can have different rules regarding convertibles. In the past, this organization has allowed some convertibles at VIR if you pass "the broomstick test", meaning that with a helmet on, if a broomstick is placed on the top of the windshield and the other end on the roll over hoops, that the top of the broomstick never touches the helmet of the driver.

Regarding other equipment, you'll need a current helmet (SNELL 2015 OR 2020), not a motorcycle helmet. VIR usually has some available for rent if you don't own one. The vehicle must be tech inspected by any competent shop. This is usually quick, cheap, and painless. Fresh brake fluid (recommend Motul RBF660). Other than that, good tires, good brakes, and you're set.

The great thing about these smaller events on a big track like VIR is that you get to set the pace that you're comfortable with, and the instructors are amazing. It isn't racing, and passing is done by hand signals. There are several classroom sessions that supplement what you are learning with your instructor.

Here's a video I found on Youtube of the broomstick test to give you an idea:
Cheers,

Peter

Last edited by winstonsalemncxk; 01-17-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
Re: Convertibles

Each organization, track, and event can have different rules regarding convertibles. In the past, this organization has allowed some convertibles at VIR if you pass "the broomstick test", meaning that with a helmet on, if a broomstick is placed on the top of the windshield and the other end on the roll over hoops, that the top of the broomstick never touches the helmet of the driver.

Regarding other equipment, you'll need a current helmet (SNELL 2015 OR 2020), not a motorcycle helmet. VIR usually has some available for rent if you don't own one. The vehicle must be tech inspected by any competent shop. This is usually quick, cheap, and painless. Fresh brake fluid (recommend Motul RBF660). Other than that, good tires, good brakes, and you're set.

The great thing about these smaller events on a big track like VIR is that you get to set the pace that you're comfortable with, and the instructors are amazing. It isn't racing, and passing is done by hand signals. There are several classroom sessions that supplement what you are learning with your instructor.

Here's a video I found on Youtube of the broomstick test to give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oj3...hannel=TOMRAST
Cheers,

Peter
Sounds like fun! (Not the broomstick test ). Wish I lived closer. May have to buy or rent a car trailer at some point and hook it up to the Raptor to make some of these types of events. Only ones that come this way anymore are the 1/2 mile shootouts...And they have dwindled to only a couple. Another sucky part of living in Illinois ...Haha

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
Sparky H (01-18-2022), winstonsalemncxk (01-18-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:14 AM
Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm definitely interested in attending.

winstonsalemncxk (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Sounds like fun! (Not the broomstick test ). Wish I lived closer. May have to buy or rent a car trailer at some point and hook it up to the Raptor to make some of these types of events. Only ones that come this way anymore are the 1/2 mile shootouts...And they have dwindled to only a couple. Another sucky part of living in Illinois ...Haha
There are several really good tracks in Illinois that have events all through the warm months. They may not be that close to where you are but they will be much closer than VIR.

https://blackhawkfarms.com/
https://wwtraceway.com/
https://autobahncc.com/

Just to name a few...

winstonsalemncxk (01-21-2022)