F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty issues from changing rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Exactly. Maybe recommend that the guy gets some reading lessons.
What about "Any modification to the vehicle, components, parts and accessories ..."

That's a very broad statement and I would say even wheels falls into into one of those categories.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
What about "Any modification to the vehicle, components, parts and accessories ..."

That's a very broad statement and I would say even wheels falls into into one of those categories.
The paragraph includes 'as a direct result of'. The engine blowing up would not be a direct result of using different wheels.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
I have had legit warranty claims on brand new cars denied.
I had similar experience with Subaru that is my spouse drives. We purchased it new, and since delivery it was burning excessive amount of oil. 3+ litters per maintenance period. Subaru didn't want to fix this and claimed this was normal. The fix included complete engine tear-down to replace scraper rings. I had to insist, escalate with Subaru HQ and so on to make sure this issue gets looked at. Sure, I could have ate depreciation and dumped the car on the next sucker via trade-in, but I refuse the system to grind me down. It was fixed, and much later there was a class-action and TB issued. However, mine was fixed prior to all of that.

Tricks getting this done:

1. Always document everything and insist all actions are reflected in the paperwork. "No charge" invoices are very necessary to establish chain of events.

2. Ask for and take out dealer-provided loaner, and keep using it until issue is solved. This way any delays costs them money.

3. Never lose your cool. Service reps you talk to are not the ones calling shots.

4. Establish direct line of communications with the service department manager. If you purchased your car at the dealership, your salesperson will make introductions if you ask them.

5. If service manager is unhelpful, escalate to sales manager. They can put a pressure on service to resolve the situation. This is especially effective if you purchased multiple cars from them. They will do everything they can to keep repeat business going.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You do need to reconfigue the car to 20" wheels on car from 18" in instrument pack programming. That should not be a issue with warranty for a factory option, we do it all the time when a owner wants a large or sometimes smaller wheel not on the car theyre getting that they like. Both new and preowned

Old 07-10-2017, 10:37 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I was under the impression that the 18", 19" and 20" wheels all had the same circumference due to different tire aspect ratios.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I was under the impression that the 18", 19" and 20" wheels all had the same circumference due to different tire aspect ratios.
They are. There is no need to recalibrate the instrumentation. My 20" OEMs result in the same metrics as the 19" OEMs. All the circumferences of the various tire sizes offered on the F-Type are within 2%.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by unhingd
they are. There is no need to recalibrate the instrumentation. My 20" oems result in the same metrics as the 19" oems. All the circumferences of the various tire sizes offered on the f-type are within 2%.
yes while that is true jaguar would not have that as a requirment always listed to do depending on fitted wheels and tires. When wheel size changed or on a new instrument pack. Im not the software or automotive engineer. So that being said im sure there is some reason they want to know for programming of the car. So unless you have some inside info please share. Otherwise i doubt jaguar would have it in sdd.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hwa23
Just been told by my warranty officer that changing my original wheels (base 18") to another OEM wheels (20" blade) which I purchased online would void my entire warranty according to Jaguar's warranty policy. Could anyone with more info chime in? Thank you.
this may be slightly off topic but where did you buy the blade wheels from? im looking to change mine to those as well!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Well,… uhmm.
I have been once, by an OEM Dealership in the UK I was thinking of ordering from,… that I MUST be careful about ordering an OEM rim that’s made for your MODEL and YEAR car you have, but hasn’t been measured to prove it matches the depth and brake pad clearance dims that the maker offers in its equivalent accessory for your VIN.

In other words, according to this dealer, Jaguar will always know which of their accessory rims will fit the wheels on your car, because they know from the VIN what trim features were included on your car when you ordered/purchased it (such as “2018 sport L came with the carbon fiber super-size brake calipers” bla, bla, bla). But there’s no guarantee your OEM dealers is going to know about the larger calipers Jaguar fitted on your trim model, and though the size rim may be made for your model, the carbon calipers may scrape too close, whatever, whatever…

The dealer made sense. The minute a problem happens, and it might have led to a spin out and hospitalization, the OEM guy won’t consider himself at blame for not knowing about your authorized add-on from the maker, and the maker’s going to argue that the OEM guy gave you “the wrong” rim for your trim level.
The UK dealer advised me, get a mechanic to give you a physical measurement of what’s on your wheel now (brake pad clearances, bolt holes, etc.) and THEN call us back and order your rims to match all that info.
This way, you have a paper to show the dims of your OEM rim are perfectly matched to the wheel, if a warranty-problem happens on the wheel.
That sounded like too much work for me to go through, so I backed off the plan for now.

But I can kinda see where each side is coming from. I don’t think any of these dealers are talking about the warranty on the WHOLE car. Just the warranty that goes to wheel repairs or brake damage.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 07-20-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 PM
UC3
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I love my aftermarket wheels...but have not been to the dealer since I installed them. I will let this thread know how big of a cow they have...if any.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I put aftermarket wheels on my XF. Dealer service asked if I was using them as summer wheels, but that's the last I ever heard about it. Custom or change of wheels is pretty common.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abhishriv
this may be slightly off topic but where did you buy the blade wheels from? im looking to change mine to those as well!
I got them off an ebay seller from UK who switched the wheels out with aftermarket ones right after he purchased the car.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by abhishriv
If you are referring to the carbon fiber blade wheels, there is a set for sale in this forums classified ads.