F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what a car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 04:16 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cluck
I was watching Harry's Garage the other night, specifically the P450 video (again) and as I sat there ogling the car, I remembered .... "oh yeah, I've got one of those!" and I smiled, an enormous great smile. And I might have giggled like a little child, just for a moment mind you, like I am now remembering that!

It doesn't matter whether I'm stuck in a traffic jam, cruising along the motorway, or hammering it around some country lanes, the car handles all of it with aplomb. I can do a 5-hour drive and get out at the end as if I'd just popped round the corner, such is the comfort and grace with which the car gets me from A to B. Now, I'll admit, my car history is not exactly littered with what you might call "luxurious motoring", but I can't ask for anything more of my Jag in terms of how it makes me feel on a daily basis. I look at it, no, I STARE at it every time I walk past it on the driveway. I look back over my shoulder as I walk away from it, as if it's the last time I'll ever see it, even knowing I'll get to look at it again in just a few minutes. And every single time I want to bite my fist.

From the moment I wake up, on a day when I'm going to take it on a decent drive, to the moment I step out of it at the end of that journey and lock the doors, the car makes my life better. Not better in a way that can be measured of course, just "better". I cannot think of any higher praise than that.

What a car indeed.
WOW, well stated. I smiled at every sentence you wrote with recollections of doing the very same thing...particularly the long "over the shoulder" glances as I walk away. What a car, indeed!!

The following users liked this post:
Cluck (01-21-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 09:18 PM
Received 203 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirving
JCB, I agree with all of it! I take it by your name you might be from Memphis? I'm in Bartlett if so with a 15 Ultimate Metallic Black S with a few Velocity goodies thrown on it
Used to be...mid atlantic now.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,178 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Every Jaguar owner looks back at his/her car after it is parked….and that says it all. There is something intangible, almost ineffable about the relationship between a Jaguar and its steward. I have tried for decades to explain the unexplainable to owners of other cars…they don’t get it because their Brand X somehow does not do the same thing. I have owned many different Jaguars…or, in a sense, they have owned me. Today I spent an hour or so putting yet another coat of wax on my XJR. Did it need wax? No. But I needed to do it.

Last edited by sov211; 01-20-2022 at 02:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
Cluck (01-21-2022), ferrral (01-20-2022), MajorTom (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
I have tried for decades to explain the unexplainable to owners of other cars…they don’t get it because their Brand X somehow does not do the same thing.
Bland X, surely?

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Cluck (01-21-2022), sov211 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:50 AM
Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Cluck
I was watching Harry's Garage the other night, specifically the P450 video (again) and as I sat there ogling the car, I remembered .... "oh yeah, I've got one of those!" and I smiled, an enormous great smile. And I might have giggled like a little child, just for a moment mind you, like I am now remembering that!

It doesn't matter whether I'm stuck in a traffic jam, cruising along the motorway, or hammering it around some country lanes, the car handles all of it with aplomb. I can do a 5-hour drive and get out at the end as if I'd just popped round the corner, such is the comfort and grace with which the car gets me from A to B. Now, I'll admit, my car history is not exactly littered with what you might call "luxurious motoring", but I can't ask for anything more of my Jag in terms of how it makes me feel on a daily basis. I look at it, no, I STARE at it every time I walk past it on the driveway. I look back over my shoulder as I walk away from it, as if it's the last time I'll ever see it, even knowing I'll get to look at it again in just a few minutes. And every single time I want to bite my fist.

From the moment I wake up, on a day when I'm going to take it on a decent drive, to the moment I step out of it at the end of that journey and lock the doors, the car makes my life better. Not better in a way that can be measured of course, just "better". I cannot think of any higher praise than that.

What a car indeed.
So well put! I'm on my third Jag and this is exactly what I have experienced with all of them. This is what Jaguar ownership is all about and in my book outweighs any technical disadvantages the cars may have compared to other cars.

I just hope they will somehow manage to maintain this in future models because IMHO the F-Type sadly is the only currently produced Jag that has these qualities. What's been communicated so far about the company reimagine strategy sounds promising though (upping their game by going back to producing more graceful and more exclusive cars) and I really hope they manage to pull it off.

The following 2 users liked this post by MajorTom:
Cluck (01-21-2022), Sparky H (01-20-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 06:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I completely agree, my car just makes me feel good. I make excuses to go out for drives - "Oh I forgot to get milk" and similar lame arsed excuses. My wife isn't fooled by this though, she mostly grins and says "need to drive the Jag do you".

I am sure I can find things to nit pick about it if I tried, but I dont because I just feel the overall package is perfect for me.

Oh off topic side note - in December I had the pleasure of going back to the UK to visit family who live in the East Midlands not far from JLR factories. I was shocked by the absence of F Types on the roads, I was out and about every day for a week and didn't see a single one. My daughter texted me after she dropped me at the airport to say she saw one on her way home. I have seen more here the PA boonies.

I love my car - thank you Jaguar for building it for me.

The following users liked this post:
Cluck (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:44 AM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Vindi
I completely agree, my car just makes me feel good. I make excuses to go out for drives - "Oh I forgot to get milk" and similar lame arsed excuses. My wife isn't fooled by this though, she mostly grins and says "need to drive the Jag do you".

I am sure I can find things to nit pick about it if I tried, but I dont because I just feel the overall package is perfect for me.

Oh off topic side note - in December I had the pleasure of going back to the UK to visit family who live in the East Midlands not far from JLR factories. I was shocked by the absence of F Types on the roads, I was out and about every day for a week and didn't see a single one. My daughter texted me after she dropped me at the airport to say she saw one on her way home. I have seen more here the PA boonies.

I love my car - thank you Jaguar for building it for me.

Indeed, a prophet is not without honor, except in his home town...

Old 01-21-2022, 10:38 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Vindi
... in December I had the pleasure of going back to the UK to visit family who live in the East Midlands not far from JLR factories. I was shocked by the absence of F Types on the roads, I was out and about every day for a week and didn't see a single one.
Yeah, they're relatively rare, even in their home country. But that makes them even more special ....

Old 01-24-2022, 08:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has a radio? Holy hell, I never noticed.

Honestly, I think I've only turned it on once or twice for about a minute.