XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Radio just died (not looking to replace)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radio just died (not looking to replace)

So I had a buddy in the ole jag today and he was commenting how nice it was and how much fun it was. I was talking up how all the original stuff works and how good it has been to me (for a xj40).

He gets out and I make about 20 feet before the dreaded lightning bolt comes on and smoke pours out the front vents. Speakers popped and drivers side channel quit working, then ac shuts off and I immediately pull over.

Checked the code and it was fuse 1 so I pulled the panel cover and find the radio fuses (ALL OF THEM) were blown. I replaced and nada. Since the car was running fine I decided to make it home and pull the dash. Radio is toast. Don't tell me it can be fixed. It is black and mangled inside.

I am not a fan of "aftermarket" in classic cars if possible so I looked at replacements. Um no thank you came to mind. The radio cost more than the car did lol.

So I started thinking. Instead of doing the whole swap in a new radio from the ricer crowd and all the lights and what not, what if I just get a really good blue tooth speaker for the car. Like the portable ones you can use outside or take to a party. I know it isn't the same as the car speaker system but honestly it doesn't sound very good anyway. I would like some richer tones from my stereo. Not to mention that buying an aftermarket would put me in the 200 range anyway.

So what do you guys think about just getting like a bose sound link and using that. I was only listening to streaming music anyway via a tape adapter. That way I just tape up the connections under the dash. Put back in the busted radio and I have a system that will work not only in the car but anywhere.

The other option was to buy a blank single din cover but I don't really want to do that either.

Having the streaming capability would be pretty cool and I would have to spend 3-4 times the cost of the mini speaker to get that function.

Not to mention no wiring no searching for adapter cables, and no running new ground wires to the speakers.

I really want some constructive criticism. I think this will work but I love for others to poke holes in my thoughts and tell me why I am wrong. Maybe there is a better way.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,130 Likes on 793 Posts

For myself I would love to be able to play my own collection of music at will where ever I am. Bluetooth may be the way to go, but I just dont (wont) take the time to do it and learn it. But -again- for myself, I gots to have SOMETHING. I have an aftermarket radio in Roger, and yes unfortunately it has the goofy light thing which I wish I would take the time to turn off. Ultimately I guess I like the streaming idea, but I could not tolerate the speaker as a separate unit flying around loose. To each his own, if its what you crave then do it.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not hard to replace (at least in my 1993) the radio harness color codes are online and the radio fits perfectly inside the original radio's spot. I replaced mine with an older Pioneer CD player, and it looks rather nice, even in a classic Jag. I would recommend getting a color adjustable deck (they're around 100 USD) so you can dial the color of your dash board exactly. All speakers are 6.5 inch in the doors and are fairly easy to get to and replace.