XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking at adding another "kitty"

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking at adding another "kitty"

Hi all,

Last night I stopped to check out a CL listing.

1989 signal red coupe, V-12, non-working A/C, sounds good on start-up, tranny tight, headliner gone, wood/ leather/ carpets good, new(er) front shocks, good tires, passenger window intermittently operational, new(er) battery, trunk dry with no odors paint is all there but needs attention, body is straight and essentially rust-free.

64k-ish miles on odometer. Owner's title says mileage does not exceed mechanical limits, but he said the e-bay auto check claimed a mileage deviation earlier this year when he was going to list it on there.

One question I have is that this car was originally a California car. Is there anything extra goofy with emissions etc. that I should check?

I have no documentation of Marelli maintenance, but the fuel system has been maintained with new hoses etc. No documentation on cooling system maintenance either. He is owner three and does not have much paperwork other than what he has done.

I plan on lifting her on Sunday and looking closer at what I have mentioned as well as the rear suspension, wheel bearings, etc.

I'm also thinking that I may run a carfax or something like it if my eyes tell me to proceed. It's been a long time since I ran one of them... Is there a better option out there?

He's obviously had the "speedsters" check it out so he got a big smile on his face when I pulled up in mine. I wasn't sure if the smile was because he could tell I had "cat fever" or that I would appreciate the old girl. All kidding aside, he said that he was glad an enthusiast was looking and we will be lifting her in his garage.

Bucky

Old 10-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Pics? Sounds like a $2-$3k car without seeing it.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
If all goes well, $2500-ish is what I think would land it, so it may be in line.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Last edited by Bucky83; 10-15-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: removed photobucket link
Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 PM

The Mustang in the garage is the reason the Jag got booted. I really meant to only post one pic, but I hope i'll figure it out as time goes on.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:15 PM

[img][/img]

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Doesn't look like a bad place to start from... looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks a lot like the XJS I purchased. Mine is 48K miles and I paid 5,000 for it. Probably paid too much because I have already spent another 2k in repairs and 1K in parts. Still overheats.. so I am not done. They are pretty cars but the more I learn the more I have realized they can cost a lot to keep on the road, especially, if you take it to a shop to have something fixed. I am beginning my quest to try an do the rest of the work myself, starting with removing the radiator. If I had it to do all over I would let the car idle for 15 to 20 minutes after having it out on the road. See if the temp climbs. If it does you are in for a series of repairs before you can enjoy the car. Just plan on spending more than the purchase price to enjoy the car.

BCXJS (10-17-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Work, I feel your pain I've got no mechanical experience but buy a good tool kit (you'll keep adding to it as jobs come up cause they all require a special tool!) Get a air compressor and a rattle gun and an air wrench (very helpful when trying to shift old bolts!) (make sure you get impact sockets for use with them, don't ever use normal sockets with air tools!)

get a copy of Kirby tome, the offical manuals from jag heritage and have this site open on a laptop in the garage and you'll be on your way! Its worked so far for me and I've had a blast. The satisfaction out of successfully completing something is immense.

So far I've found my car is complicated at first look, but patience is required and once you understand why they did it that way you understand that most things are that way for a very logical reason.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:51 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucky83
[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Looking at this and seeing your from PA, this isn't by chance the one in Milton is it? if so, my son told me about it and says it seems pretty decent, but like others said see about a road test, say about 20 to 30 mins, check temp and other gauges. if you do most your own work, and remove somethings, pictures, picture and more pics help in getting it back together, as well and bagging the removed small items, bolts, washers and such, write on bags to were they go, and tag the large items and wire connections to were they go. even with that I have had to drop off a thread to see were something goes (oic did not come out right or tag came off). But you have plenty of help and knowledgable people here that are willing to help

Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by daverb
Looking at this and seeing your from PA, this isn't by chance the one in Milton is it? if so, my son told me about it and says it seems pretty decent, but like others said see about a road test, say about 20 to 30 mins, check temp and other gauges. if you do most your own work, and remove somethings, pictures, picture and more pics help in getting it back together, as well and bagging the removed small items, bolts, washers and such, write on bags to were they go, and tag the large items and wire connections to were they go. even with that I have had to drop off a thread to see were something goes (oic did not come out right or tag came off). But you have plenty of help and knowledgable people here that are willing to help
It is the one in Milton. Is your son in the area? I do turn as many wrenches as I possibly can on all of my rides and I don't shy away from too much. The drive and idle time is exactly what I was going to do on Sunday, as well as getting under it to check for any other surprises.

Back to one of my original questions, is there anything about California emissions that needs to be examined?

Old 10-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

It is the one in Milton. Is your son in the area? I do turn as many wrenches as I possibly can on all of my rides and I don't shy away from too much. The drive and idle time is exactly what I was going to do on Sunday, as well as getting under it to check for any other surprises.

Back to one of my original questions, is there anything about California emissions that needs to be examined?
Not sure about the CA codes, you might be able to google about them. My son lives in Pottsgrove

Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I don't think that Jaguar made a car with special equipment for California. CA does regulate after market stuff for all brands.

Jaguar marked the cars "Federal". A bit misleading as it merely meant a market designation. USA included in that.

SMOG stuff is universal. It is the regulations that vary widely state to state.

As you are in PA, I'd just read up on what PA requires and go from there.
If it must pass a test, see if done and whosde duty it is to get the test, seller or buyer. In Ca, it is the seller, but, it doesn't always work that way. Unless the seller is a dealer, in that case, they do get tested pre sale and our DMV accepts that.

Looks a very decent car if he price is right. No head liner????

The standard used car inspection guide lines apply. Yukky oil, bad wear on tires, lots of wear on brake pedal, etc.

Carl

Bucky83 (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
I don't think that Jaguar made a car with special equipment for California. CA does regulate after market stuff for all brands.

Jaguar marked the cars "Federal". A bit misleading as it merely meant a market designation. USA included in that.

SMOG stuff is universal. It is the regulations that vary widely state to state.

As you are in PA, I'd just read up on what PA requires and go from there.
If it must pass a test, see if done and whosde duty it is to get the test, seller or buyer. In Ca, it is the seller, but, it doesn't always work that way. Unless the seller is a dealer, in that case, they do get tested pre sale and our DMV accepts that.

Looks a very decent car if he price is right. No head liner????

The standard used car inspection guide lines apply. Yukky oil, bad wear on tires, lots of wear on brake pedal, etc.

Carl

Thanks for the reply on the Cali. stuff.

Headliner is not in the car but there.

Our county's emission test just checks the gas cap pressure test (no pipe hookup).

Yeah, if the engine stays cool I would call her an immediate driver.

I will keep everyone informed.

Bucky

Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 PM

Well, yesterday didn't happen as the seller had a problem at his workplace. We are going to try for an evening this week, so I will keepbeveryone informed.

Bucky

Last edited by Bucky83; 10-19-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Well, yesterday didn't happen as the seller had a problem at his workplace. We are going to try for an evening this week, so I will keepbeveryone informed.

Bucky
Ok, finally got there tonight and took lots of photos and videos. The car was pretty much as expected. One big thing that was encountered was an idle of 1000- 1100 RPM that would dip to 600 or so after tapping the accelerator, and then return to 1000 plus again after a second or two. She ran for about 35 minutes straight with no change. There did not appear to be any binding on the TB's or anything.

The body is really good as far as I can see.

Small exhaust issue on the passenger side post cat.

Passenger window goes down a few inches and wont go back up for a few minutes.

Essentially, the headliner is non-existent.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 PM

[img]
Name:  WP_20151026_003_zpsvztwttcc.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  201.8 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_006_zpsynzauvto.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  212.7 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_032_zpsossvbupb.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  233.1 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_029_zpsjr6iomie.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  200.7 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_007_zpsjpi1rexu.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  206.3 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_008_zpsj2obx906.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  207.5 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_009_zps5o8qu7xl.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  185.0 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_010_zpsbwhrdaqx.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  199.2 KB
Name:  WP_20151026_042_zps5xhgpyr6.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  196.0 KB
[/img]

Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 PM

[img]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1044.photobucket.c om%2Falbums%2Fb442%2Fbrentfrancis9462%2FMobile%252 0Uploads%2FWP_20151026_024_zpsrp2xtiuf.mp4&title=" >[/img]

Here is a video of after it was running for about 35-40 minutes

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

The idle issue is likely a stuck AAV. Check Kirby's book or search the archive. You can often fix it yourself by just soaking it in carb cleaner or similar. There is a method to rebuilt it if that doesn't work, and there is a guy on eBay who will rebuild it for you.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
The idle issue is likely a stuck AAV. Check Kirby's book or search the archive. You can often fix it yourself by just soaking it in carb cleaner or similar. There is a method to rebuilt it if that doesn't work, and there is a guy on eBay who will rebuild it for you.
Thanks Mac!

Quick Reply: Looking at adding another "kitty"