F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Locks

When I picked up my 2018 F-Type Vert a week ago, there was a four-pack of Jag wheel locks sitting in the trunk next to the tire repair kit. I assume that I need to have the dealer install those and that currently the wheels are not in fact locked. Anyone have a similar experience along these lines?

Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by raweikert
When I picked up my 2018 F-Type Vert a week ago, there was a four-pack of Jag wheel locks sitting in the trunk next to the tire repair kit. I assume that I need to have the dealer install those and that currently the wheels are not in fact locked. Anyone have a similar experience along these lines?
There is no need to have the dealer install the wheel locks -you can do it yourself if you have ever changed a tire. In that blister pack, along with the wheel nuts there is the key that allows the lock nuts to be removed and fitted. In fitting be aware of the specified torque value for these cars. Many (myself included) find the wheel locks unnecessary and a nuisance but it depends on where you live!

Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:59 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211

There is no need to have the dealer install the wheel locks -you can do it yourself if you have ever changed a tire. In that blister pack, along with the wheel nuts there is the key that allows the lock nuts to be removed and fitted. In fitting be aware of the specified torque value for these cars. Many (myself included) find the wheel locks unnecessary and a nuisance but it depends on where you live!
What is the recommended torque spec for wheels nuts on our cars?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by raweikert
Great. Thanks for the quick response.
Torque on the lug nuts (and locks) is 92 ft-lbs. The wheel locks are most likely made by McGard. Be certain to register them on the McGard website so that you have quick access to a replacement nut or key if needed.

The following users liked this post:
WJV (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

You can ask Itsmejoshy about the downside of wheel locks...

Old 08-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree wheel locks are a deterrent at best. Back when I first got into cars I had a dealer installed set. Went to swap the wheels and broke the key on the first one they were torqued so tight. I took the car to a local tire shop, they hammered a socket in and had them all of in minutes. I was shocked how easy and fast it was. I find them more of a pain than a protection mechanism. Knock on wood, not too worried about wheel theft on any of my cars given where/when they are parked.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My car (CPO) did not come with the wheel lock key. The local dealership didn't have the right set, so I hammered on a 21 or 22mm Impact socket, removed them, then pressed out the nut. Rinse and repeat. It made me realize how useless they are. If I ever want to steal wheels with locks I'd get four 22mm sockets, two hits with a hammer and bang they're off.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Throw them in the trash, any thief knows how to get them off easily. Theyre a issue for the owners and shops either with lost keys or loosing the keys

SinF (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Mine were installed, presumably by the dealer, when I took delivery. The wheel lock package in the back contained the OEM nuts that were replaced. I swapped them back. I don't like them. In my opinion, their effectiveness is low and doesn't outweigh the potential problems.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
You can ask Itsmejoshy about the downside of wheel locks...
BURN!! .LOL...but facts. the "jaguar" keys with the round dome are almost impervious to standard tire shop methods of removal (slamming a socket over it or using a gatorgrip socket). Ended up using the torch after drilling was ruled not to be an option (4+hrs of drilling and impact hammering did basically nothing) because of the "supermetal" (as the service tech came to call it) cap. i believe the McGard locks with the key notches on top and not the sides are easily removed by most tire shops using the method above. It was noted by the tech that he has never seen a factory rim hold up to heat like the jag rim did, was impressed with the lock and the rims. Minimal damage really.

i will be promptly removing my wheel looks, my car is locked up 99% of its life.

Last edited by Itismejoshy; 08-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
BURN!! .LOL...but facts. the "jaguar" keys with the round dome are almost impervious to standard tire shop methods of removal (slamming a socket over it or using a gatorgrip socket). Ended up using the torch after drilling was ruled not to be an option (4+hrs of drilling and impact hammering did basically nothing) because of the "supermetal" (as the service tech came to call it) cap. i believe the McGard locks with the key notches on top and not the sides are easily removed by most tire shops using the method above. It was noted by the tech that he has never seen a factory rim hold up to heat like the jag rim did, was impressed with the lock and the rims. Minimal damage really.

i will be promptly removing my wheel looks, my car is locked up 99% of its life.
funny the socket knocked over the jaguar locks has worked for me whenever I cant find the shops master key set

Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Unless you are driving a car popular with a certain crowd (e.g. WRX, Civic) your wheels are extremely unlikely to be stolen. I wouldn't bother with wheel locks on F-type.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Funny story. I picked up a nail in my tire so I went to get it patched. My car had the lock nut installed before I took delivery and I thought nothing of it, until I stopped by the tire shop during lunch. No key. I went home and found it with the stack of things the dealer provided (like the front plate holder), in the package with the normal nuts. Why would they put the key there and not in the glovebox or trunk or some other useful place?

I didn't think about it at the time, but if I had read this thread first, I would have swapped out the lock nuts for the normal ones.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Why would they put the key there and not in the glovebox or trunk or some other useful place?
Good question, particularly since there's a dedicated holder for it in the styrofoam next to the battery.

eeeeek (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Good question, particularly since there's a dedicated holder for it in the styrofoam next to the battery.
Seriously?

Old 08-15-2018, 02:24 PM

Serously and even though its not part of the predelivery inspection i always put them their because otherwise owners do exactly what you did. Throw them in the house and then when i need the key its not there and i have to go find the master key set...

Old 08-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

OK, key put in the little key spot. I didn't find a single reference to that in the owner's manual about that, so thank you, guys.

Is there a dedicated place for the tow hook?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
OK, key put in the little key spot. I didn't find a single reference to that in the owner's manual about that, so thank you, guys.

Is there a dedicated place for the tow hook?
Right in that same location along side the battery

eeeeek (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Right in that same location along side the battery
I think you just cleaned up both my glove box and my trunk. My tow hook was just showed under and elastic strap in the bottom well of the trunk.

Quick Reply: Wheel Locks