F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who moved from a porsche to a f type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cptslow
Have any of you tracked or done auto cross with your FType? I used to do it all the time with the Cayman, but not really sure the F is suited to it.
I did auto cross with my v8 '14 f type. It was really fun. The cat is more suitable for open roads, it's quick, but too heavy for all those tight twists in a plane parking lot. However, I still enjoyed it and recommend it for someone who isn't willing to go all out and track their f type.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 PM

I had a Porsche suv for a while, so I fit the text of your question, but not the spirit.
Anyways, when I was shopping I wasn't too keen on getting a 911 or Cayman. The 911 is refined, but hardly exciting. The Cayman is underpowered. It's not that it's slow, it's just obviously able to handle more power, and Porsche is too stingy to give it what it needs. And again, it may be more appealing than the 911, but it's not as exciting as the f type.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Thanks. I guess I'm more concerned about abuse. I've heard rumors about error codes and over heating problems when driving these cars hard. Also issues of brake fade.
The only overheating I have heard of is the ELS Differential on the V8 cars if someone has been driving them stupidly (rear wheel drifts and fishtailing all over the track). Haven't heard much about brake fade either, particularly with the super performance brakes.

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (12-01-2020)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
I did auto cross with my v8 '14 f type. It was really fun. The cat is more suitable for open roads, it's quick, but too heavy for all those tight twists in a plane parking lot. However, I still enjoyed it and recommend it for someone who isn't willing to go all out and track their f type.
I agree. Auto X is great for learning the handling of your car. I started getting a little competitive about it at one point.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The only overheating I have heard of is the ELS Differential on the V8 cars if someone has been driving them stupidly (rear wheel drifts and fishtailing all over the track). Haven't heard much about brake fade either, particularly with the super performance brakes.
Gotcha. Like I said. Rumors. Usually also known as bullshit. I don't think I have the big brakes though.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with most of what you said. I MISS my Cayman, badly, after three weeks. It's the only car I can say I've ever missed.
When I replaced my 2014 Cayman S with a 2015 C7 Corvette, I missed the cayman after 3 days. I tried to get it back as a Porsche dealer had bought it from me, but it had already sold so I had to order the 2016.

They really are great cars, it's just that I am going on 3 years with one between the 2014 and the 2016 and that it is a long time for me given my carswitchitis tendency .

Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by baege
When I replaced my 2014 Cayman S with a 2015 C7 Corvette, I missed the cayman after 3 days. I tried to get it back as a Porsche dealer had bought it from me, but it had already sold so I had to order the 2016.

They really are great cars, it's just that I am going on 3 years with one between the 2014 and the 2016 and that it is a long time for me given my carswitchitis tendency .

I have a similar disease as you. The Cayman is the only car in recent history I've had for longer than 18 months. And I had no intention of EVER getting rid of it. Our dealer offered us the last build slot they have on a Cayman GTS. But the F would have to go make room for it. And finacially, we'd lose our *** on the F.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM

A question for your Cayman lovers...
Is a boxster nearly as good as a Cayman in terms of handling/performance?

I thought the trade-off was worth it in the f type. I love my convertible. If I were to consider the Porsche, would it be the same?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Klakeman
I agree. Sold a 2006 Cayman S after 30k trouble free miles. Hands down, the best handling, most pure sports car I have owned or driven. The difference in weight was the first thing I noticed when driving the F Type Coupe. The Cayman is designed for performance first, and is a true driver's car. It responds to your inputs with exceptional precision, and feels like you are "wearing" the car.

The F Type S is sex on 4 wheels though. It has drama and theatre that the Cayman never exhibited. Everyone loves the F Type, except for the occasional Porsche purist. Also, for everyday driving, the F Type has plenty of performance in my view.

When I pulled up in the Jaguar, my wife walked up and said: "it's worth every penny". She would never have said this about the Cayman.
Yes, this is precisely the quality I characterized as "soul," and was "called on" by someone else. In that same post, I fully acknowledged that the Cayman/Boxster is an example of near-perfection w/ regard to handling. But, compared to the F-Type, it just feels sterile.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've heard that as well (overheating ELS), but I had thought it was only with the DCS on.....not sure about track DCS or just regular.

Dave

Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Traded my Cayman S on the R coupe. While the Cayman handling was superb, I found it wanting in several ways. I never loved it. I really love everything about my R coupe and would never go back to Porsche.
Larry

Old 04-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have any of you tracked or done auto cross with your FType? I used to do it all the time with the Cayman, but not really sure the F is suited to it.

You'd be surprised. The chassis is truly fantastic on the F-TYPE. I've been lapping it for two seasons and it is impressive. I've taken out Cayman/911 owners and they are impressed. The biggest change you can do to it is to swap out the Pirellis for some Michelin tires and get beefier brake pads.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by hardwired
A question for your Cayman lovers...
Is a boxster nearly as good as a Cayman in terms of handling/performance?

I thought the trade-off was worth it in the f type. I love my convertible. If I were to consider the Porsche, would it be the same?
Ive never driven a Boxster, so I would be hesitant to offer an opinion.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Ive never driven a Boxster, so I would be hesitant to offer an opinion.
Just the like the F-Type convertible and coupe, the Boxter/Cayman have an identical chassis. Similarly, they were both engineered as convertibles first and coupes followed later. I never understood why Porsche elected to brand them with different names.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-27-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just the like the F-Type convertible and coupe, the Boxter/Cayman have an identical chassis. Similarly, they were both engineered as convertibles first and coupes followed later. I never understood why Porsche elected to brand them with different names.
I agree in theory. They should be very similar. Often soft tops aren't as rigid though, which is why I didn't want to offer an opinion having never been in one.

Not sure about the names, but I think the Box was 10 years old before the first Cayman came along.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffg1234
16 years with my 911. Ftype R 2016 convertible. Awesome. I loved the porsche but the Jag is a blast.
9 yrs w/ my 911 turbo >> 2016 FType R convertible. I loved the Porsche but the Jag is a blast!!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sold my '06 911 (997-1) Carrera 4 S for the '14 V8 S. Still miss the Porsche, as it was a fine precision instrument and the sound on boil - oh baby.

Jag is more of a 'hooligan' car, much louder, more out of control, and a different beast entirely.

Both would be in my ideal garage.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2014 Cayman S, now have a 2016 F-type S.

I adored the Cayman - I didn't want to give it up, but my lease was over, and leasing a 2016 Cayman S was now out of my range due to the impending 718 release. I thought the Cayman was gorgeous - to my eye, better looking than the F-Type (I've since changed my opinion on that, though). The F-Type S lease was MUCH less expensive to lease, despite having a much higher MSRP. I was still sort of lukewarm on it, but once I saw the one I have now (black, black wheels, black pack), I was sold.

Cayman: the handling was simply amazing, and as a poster above said, it did feel like you were "wearing the car." I prefer the interior on the newer (981) Cayman, and the Cayman sounds better INSIDE the car, probably due to the engine sitting less than a foot behind you. I also prefer the paddles on the Cayman - small nit, but the paddles on the F-Type are too close to the wheel; they're right where my fingers want to be.

F-Type: It's heavier and feels much larger than the Cayman, but it still handles exceptionally well for its platform. It is an absolute blast to drive, in a much different way. Obviously, from the outside (or windows down), it sounds much more impressive/dramatic than the Cayman - I am addicted to the noises this thing makes. It also gets much, much more attention than the Cayman ever did, which is a plus in my book. The Cayman was invisible.

The following users liked this post:
goodfodder (05-22-2019)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Crabmoney
I had a 2014 Cayman S, now have a 2016 F-type S.

I adored the Cayman - I didn't want to give it up, but my lease was over, and leasing a 2016 Cayman S was now out of my range due to the impending 718 release. I thought the Cayman was gorgeous - to my eye, better looking than the F-Type (I've since changed my opinion on that, though). The F-Type S lease was MUCH less expensive to lease, despite having a much higher MSRP. I was still sort of lukewarm on it, but once I saw the one I have now (black, black wheels, black pack), I was sold.

Cayman: the handling was simply amazing, and as a poster above said, it did feel like you were "wearing the car." I prefer the interior on the newer (981) Cayman, and the Cayman sounds better INSIDE the car, probably due to the engine sitting less than a foot behind you. I also prefer the paddles on the Cayman - small nit, but the paddles on the F-Type are too close to the wheel; they're right where my fingers want to be.

F-Type: It's heavier and feels much larger than the Cayman, but it still handles exceptionally well for its platform. It is an absolute blast to drive, in a much different way. Obviously, from the outside (or windows down), it sounds much more impressive/dramatic than the Cayman - I am addicted to the noises this thing makes. It also gets much, much more attention than the Cayman ever did, which is a plus in my book. The Cayman was invisible.
Well said, although 50% of the time, I prefer the invisibility. I don't always want attention.

I'd second the paddle shifters. Not only better placement on the Cayman, but more "positive feedback", and aluminum was standard. I find the plastic paddles on a $97,000 sports car to be utterly disgraceful. They feel like they came from a Kia parts bin.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

A traditional auto just doesn't seem right for this car.
Have you tried a manual?

Quick Reply: Who moved from a porsche to a f type?