F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who moved from a porsche to a f type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Who moved from a porsche to a f type?

Hi to all

Just joined after recently test driving a 2016 F type Coupe S AWD. Test drove it on a whim due to boredom with my current 2016 Cayman S. I was surprised how much I liked it.

It was just plain fun, great low end torque, great throttle response, great sound. It did not feel as precise or tight as my cayman, but it was more fun! (this is partly novelty, but such is life)

Anyhow curious how many members here came from a Porsche and how you have enjoyed the swap?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not think I count since I never bought the Carrera S.

Two years ago, I was in the market for a new Carrera S. Drove it on 2 different test drives and also drove a friends 911. Liked it. Was trying to justify it.

I was getting my old Range Rover serviced and they gave me an F-Type V8S as a loaner. Ordered the car when I came to pick up my Range Rover. I knew within 100 meters of driving it that I wanted it & that I did not need to justify the purchase.

My head says that the Porsche is the better car. However, I am extremely glad I got the RWD V8S.

The following 5 users liked this post by enfield:
andykreb (02-19-2018), Busa (03-29-2018), schuss (11-23-2020), SinF (04-26-2016), Uncle Fishbits (12-09-2020)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by enfield

Two years ago, I was in the market for a new Carrera S. Drove it on 2 different test drives and also drove a friends 911. Liked it. Was trying to justify it.

I was getting my old Range Rover serviced and they gave me an F-Type V8S as a loaner. Ordered the car when I came to pick up my Range Rover. I knew within 100 meters of driving it that I wanted it & that I did not need to justify the purchase.

My head says that the Porsche is the better car. However, I am extremely glad I got the RWD V8S.
what was it about those first 100 metres?

I have not driven a ftype v8, but I suspect the sound and torque will draw me in...I actually bought a 2015 C7 thinking its torque and sound would do it for me, but I didn't like it in the end, it did sound good, but the throttle response was poor which took away from the sensation of gobs of low end torque.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you ever have a chance to try out Porsche 928, you'll be surprised how similar they are.... down to Bosch ECU

Old 04-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I only drove the Macan S. Sat in the 911, but I knew the looks of the f type were going be the final say. I did get wooed by the Porsches though. Seductive just not as classically beautiful in my view. Might go there some day.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I tried a Boxster S vert a year ago. Ran well. Handled great. Interior cheap looking plastic. Needed more power. Not nearly as quiet with the top up as the F Type. IMHO not worth what was being asked.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 16 Years

16 years with my 911. Ftype R 2016 convertible. Awesome. I loved the porsche but the Jag is a blast.

The following 3 users liked this post by Geoffg1234:
baege (04-26-2016), goodfodder (05-22-2019), SinF (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Try driving the R for a blast of power! All depends on what your looking for.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

I used to have a 911 and my son has both a 911 Turbo and a Spyder. I was considered a Cayman S or 911 Turbo before going with the F-Type. No regrets and no looking back. There are Porsches that will beat the F-Type as a pure driving car, but nothing matches it for sheer fun. Even my son got a kick out driving the F-Type - which was especially rich when he got more compliments driving it than he ever did in the Porsches. (Particularly humbling because he felt honor-bound to admit it was Dad's car.)

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
goodfodder (05-22-2019), schuss (11-23-2020)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a kind of unique perspective to offer here. Had a 2012 911S (991), and 2014 Cayman S. LOVED the Cayman. I would never have gotten rid of that car, ever. Sure, it lacked a little low end grunt. Yes, some of the things inside felt a tad cheap. But the handling, my god the handling. It was a little scalpel. Sadly, 3 weeks ago it was involved in an accident and totalled.

Last fall, we traded the 911S for an F Coupe S. LOVE the looks of it. Probably the most beautiful car on the road. Rare. Sounds fantastic. Quick. I don't like the attention received at stop lights, gas stations, etc. The 911 was invisible. The other thing I don't care for is the transmission. A traditional auto just doesn't seem right for this car. The PDK in the 911 and Cayman was psychic. On the road, on track, at autocross. The F Type feels a little "dumb" to me in that respect. So, I've come from Porsche, and would have stayed with the Cayman if it had lived. And also would have stayed with Jag. The F and the Cayman made for a sweet garage.

Have any of you tracked or done auto cross with your FType? I used to do it all the time with the Cayman, but not really sure the F is suited to it.

baege (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I used to have a 911 and my son has both a 911 Turbo and a Spyder. I was considered a Cayman S or 911 Turbo before going with the F-Type. No regrets and no looking back. There are Porsches that will beat the F-Type as a pure driving car, but nothing matches it for sheer fun. Even my son got a kick out driving the F-Type - which was especially rich when he got more compliments driving it than he ever did in the Porsches. (Particularly humbling because he felt honor-bound to admit it was Dad's car.)
+1 this.

The F-Type seems to have a "soul" to go along w/ it's drop dead gorgeous looks. The 911 is a finely-honed instrument of driving perfection, but it is lacks the emotional component. There are those who get that and those for whom it doesn't matter. If you're looking for the best lap times, get the Porsche, or perhaps a C7.

The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
goodfodder (05-22-2019), TR64ever (04-26-2016), Uncle Fishbits (12-09-2020)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:48 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
what was it about those first 100 metres?

I have not driven a ftype v8, but I suspect the sound and torque will draw me in...I actually bought a 2015 C7 thinking its torque and sound would do it for me, but I didn't like it in the end, it did sound good, but the throttle response was poor which took away from the sensation of gobs of low end torque.
The first thing was the sound of the V8 at startup - I wanted a roadster with only 2 seats. Then there was the low end power. It's harder to drive than the 911. The rears spin very easily in the RWD V8S. Coming out of the dealership I took a right turn onto to the road and I gave it too much gas and the I felt the rear shift.

Then I gave it more gas after the turn and it sounded like a 50 calibre machine gun and the sensation of acceleration was amazing. It felt faster than the Carrera S even though I know it is not. SOLD.

Ordered a black one with black interior, black pack, and black rims. Asked for red seatbelts with red stitching. I have had it for 2 years and I love it. I bought the car forever - at least that is the plan.

It's a proper sports car. Has the 4 classic ingredients - the front engine, RWD, 2-seater, and a drop top. It's a shame that they now only sell the AWD V8 in N America.

The following 2 users liked this post by enfield:
baege (04-26-2016), mikelanzetta (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1 this.

The F-Type seems to have a "soul" to go along w/ it's drop dead gorgeous looks. The 911 is a finely-honed instrument of driving perfection, but it is lacks the emotional component. There are those who get that and those for whom it doesn't matter. If you're looking for the best lap times, get the Porsche, or perhaps a C7.

I have to call you on the lacking soul thing. When I first got my cayman, I absolutely loved it. It brought me back to the days of joy rides and taking the longer route. It felt precise for sure, but that flat six howl and the engine right behind your ears definitely engage you and I would say give the car soul. Thing is I have gotten used to it and I can't say I go for joy rides anymore.

I am looking to the f type to rekindle the love of driving in me. It seems to offer a very visceral experience. The r in particular would seem to offer me the v8 sound and low end torque that I love in a more refined package than I found the c7 I had..

Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield

Pretty much the same happened to me, only I stopped by Jaguar dealership on my way to order 911. I know Porsche will better retain value and as a result will have lower cost of ownership, but Porsche just wasn't exciting enough.

I think Porsche's best motorsport days are behind it. They are all SUVs, turbos, and PDKs now. This wasn't obvious to me until I drove F-type.

I grew up always wanting 911, then when I had a chance to get one I went with an F-type RWD MT. No regrets so far.

goodfodder (05-22-2019)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by cptslow
Have any of you tracked or done auto cross with your FType? I used to do it all the time with the Cayman, but not really sure the F is suited to it.

I've tracked mine twice, and was impressed with it both times. Note, however, that I had no prior track experience. P-Zeros the first time, Michelin PSS the 2nd time. The last time, I gave rides to guys with Boxsters, and they were impressed with the handling, if not my driving .

Old 04-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Test drove a Boxster S. It was precise, but ultimately uninspiring. The sound didn't get really sweet until near redline. My V8S sounds awesome all over the rev range, on the overrun, on upshifts. Haven't had a chance to test drive the new Boxster GTS though, the YouTube videos make it seem to have a bit more character than a regular S. If I ever get a Porsche, it'll be sooner rather than later. The new 718 sounds like a Subaru.

Last edited by meefer; 04-26-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have to call you on the lacking soul thing. When I first got my cayman, I absolutely loved it. It brought me back to the days of joy rides and taking the longer route. It felt precise for sure, but that flat six howl and the engine right behind your ears definitely engage you and I would say give the car soul. Thing is I have gotten used to it and I can't say I go for joy rides anymore.

I am looking to the f type to rekindle the love of driving in me. It seems to offer a very visceral experience. The r in particular would seem to offer me the v8 sound and low end torque that I love in a more refined package than I found the c7 I had..
I agree. Sold a 2006 Cayman S after 30k trouble free miles. Hands down, the best handling, most pure sports car I have owned or driven. The difference in weight was the first thing I noticed when driving the F Type Coupe. The Cayman is designed for performance first, and is a true driver's car. It responds to your inputs with exceptional precision, and feels like you are "wearing" the car.

The F Type S is sex on 4 wheels though. It has drama and theatre that the Cayman never exhibited. Everyone loves the F Type, except for the occasional Porsche purist. Also, for everyday driving, the F Type has plenty of performance in my view.

When I pulled up in the Jaguar, my wife walked up and said: "it's worth every penny". She would never have said this about the Cayman.

The following 3 users liked this post by Klakeman:
baege (04-27-2016), Foosh (04-27-2016), schuss (11-23-2020)
Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Was in the market. Between Porsche Cayman S and Jaguar F-Type R.

Porsche had my head. Jag had my heart.

Been laughing ever since I bought my R 5 months ago.... Never look back. Don't care.

Gorgeous lines; stunning looks; can't keep my eyes off of it; neither can anyone else; the torque, power and speed is phenomenal; the handling is solid as a rock; the interior is exquisite - oh, did I mention that sound? Oh, that sound!

My brother is a doctor that races cars. Has a 911 S. He's a Porsche guy. He was speechless after driving Oz (the name for my Emerald BRG Coupe).

The Great and Powerful Oz!!!

Don1954 (10-02-2017)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 PM

I agree with most of what you said. I MISS my Cayman, badly, after three weeks. It's the only car I can say I've ever missed.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I've tracked mine twice, and was impressed with it both times. Note, however, that I had no prior track experience. P-Zeros the first time, Michelin PSS the 2nd time. The last time, I gave rides to guys with Boxsters, and they were impressed with the handling, if not my driving .
Thanks. I guess I'm more concerned about abuse. I've heard rumors about error codes and over heating problems when driving these cars hard. Also issues of brake fade.

Quick Reply: Who moved from a porsche to a f type?