F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who moved from a porsche to a f type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I like the loud exhaust and find it difficult to imagine buying an F Type without being aware of the loud exhaust from both test drive and online video reviews.

I would agree however on the F Type with active switchable exhaust it would seem more sensible for start up exhaust to be loud or quiet according to active exhaust switch setting.
Except that even with the active exhaust in quiet mode it always starts up loud....

Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Except that even with the active exhaust in quiet mode it always starts up loud....
With the vacuum based system it’s impossible to keep the valves closed on start up.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

With the vacuum based system it’s impossible to keep the valves closed on start up.
Unless you install a separate vaccum system that doesn't rely on the engine, a few of us have done this mod. Now when my active exhaust button says it's closed its actually closed even on startup.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove V6 S vert today

Decided to take the V6 S convertible for a test drive today from a private seller and here is my feedback. I drove my 3600lb Saab 9-5 Aero wagon to the sellers home and the first thing I notice when I drove the F Type out his driveway is how heavy the steering feels. As I hit the roads, it felt like I was driving an SUV, driving on regular street roads, the car felt heavy and in low speeds the auto shifting seems sluggish in normal mode.
Coming from a 911 manual Coupe, the experience was noticeably different, not as nimble primarily the weight, steering feel and some wind noise. Don't get me wrong, love the looks and the roar of the exhausts and at higher speeds, the F Type was hoot to drive, just didn't think it would be such a difference from the 911. Thoughts?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

only 1 drive is too less i feel same when start to drive ...the fun came later...different car of course....

can you compare a corvette with an R8 i think both fun but different

f-type in my opinion is one of the best looking car today.

i don't find only 1 person that don't like the line of the car but this is another point... yes i think same of you when i start but after 5 months of that car...i really love it !!!

now i think i go TUNE

Old 03-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Well, good to know that I am not loco. LOL Yes, I agree the Jag is a timeless great looking car, but that having said, it is a tough decision to buy a car and hope in 5 months I will love it. I am sure no one married their current wife after one date. :-)
Unfortunately I can't court the F Type for a few months before putting it in the my garage. :-(

Old 03-28-2018, 09:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The Jag is really a Jekyll and Hyde, it can feel like a luxury cruiser (Merc) when you are just driving around town, but then switch to Dynamic and put the hammer down and the rear will slide out a bit and the car comes alive. The Porsche always felt the same completely competent and never like it was on edge. The F-type is a little more vanilla when you just drive around in town, but feels much more hard core than the Porsche when you really drive it.
I think you really need the opportunity to drive it hard to understand and that's hard to do on a test drive. I know I was almost disappointed when I first started driving mine home from the dealer, but then I slid that little toggle switch to Dynamic, punched the car and broke out into a huge stupid grin.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 PM

I hear ya, the question is how often do you get to do that dynamic full throttle peddle to the metal driving? When you corner in normal speed and DD the car just doesn't seem to thrill me. I am not talking myself outta it, just cant seem to shake the 911 feel on a daily and spirited driving.
The dilemma sets in when Porsche are so over priced nowadays and it seems like the Jag is much better value. hmmmm sigh.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Fortunately (or maybe not) it's not my daily driver, I drive a RAM with the Hemi as my daily.
All I can say is that the longer I own it the more I enjoy it.
I instantly felt at home in the Porsche, the Jag is taking longer but that is okay, seems there is more to learn and get to know then there was in the Porsche and that makes it feel a little more special.

As a daily driver I honestly don't know, but having a car with two personalities is not a bad thing, maybe a little more bang for the buck. Kind of like having both a BMW 4 series and a Vette.

Hey in the end you have a great problem, getting to decide between a Porsche or a Jag, 95% of the population would LOVE to have your problem. LOL

Old 03-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg

Unless you install a separate vaccum system that doesn't rely on the engine, a few of us have done this mod. Now when my active exhaust button says it's closed its actually closed even on startup.
Me too

Old 03-28-2018, 09:40 PM

If I had deep pockets I wouldn't be too concern and just get both LOL. I sold my 911 when I lost my job a couple years back and now I am back on my feet I like to put some passion back into my love for driving. So I just want to make the right choice. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am coming from a lightly modified 6spd 997 turbo and before that a 996 turbo. Both were awesome performers and very engaging but a bit of hassle for daily driving. I've driven one F-type R and feel that it can wear two hats; as a daily driver and as a weekend fun car. I recently purchased a used F-Type R rwd sight unseen and can't wait for it to arrive within the next few weeks. Here's a pic of my old 911.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by jake ok
I drove my 3600lb Saab 9-5 Aero wagon to the sellers home and the first thing I notice when I drove the F Type out his driveway is how heavy the steering feels.
Mount some tires on the F-Type with the same pizza-like aspect ratio as those on the Saab, and the steering will lighten right up. (Also, turn off Dynamic steering mode if you want a lighter feel)

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-29-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jake ok
Decided to take the V6 S convertible for a test drive today from a private seller and here is my feedback. I drove my 3600lb Saab 9-5 Aero wagon to the sellers home and the first thing I notice when I drove the F Type out his driveway is how heavy the steering feels. As I hit the roads, it felt like I was driving an SUV, driving on regular street roads, the car felt heavy and in low speeds the auto shifting seems sluggish in normal mode.
Coming from a 911 manual Coupe, the experience was noticeably different, not as nimble primarily the weight, steering feel and some wind noise. Don't get me wrong, love the looks and the roar of the exhausts and at higher speeds, the F Type was hoot to drive, just didn't think it would be such a difference from the 911. Thoughts?
I came from a 991 911 Carrera S, and while it was extremely nice, and one helluva track carver, it did not thrill me like my Jag. I also am surprised about comments about noise where you could not open your window on the Porsche without wind buffeting that would threaten to pop your ear drums.

I agree with Unhingd that you probably had dynamic mode on with the heavy steering engaged. It is electric, so when you switch to normal steering, it lightens up considerably.

Lastly, it does have more weight than the Porsche and you definitely feel it more than in the Porsche, but performance and fun-wise, it doesn't detract to the experience for me. It does provide a very pleasant around the city drive because the weight dampens road imperfections, however when you get it on the track, it has monster grip, and uses the weight well to get you around. Having drove the Jag and the 911 around the track, I much prefer the experience from the Jag hands down. The Porsche is a precision carver that can do everything you ask of it and MUCH MUCH more, however the Jag just gives you a fun "I can't stop smiling" experience (regardless of lap time) that you walk away from remembering much more than a time slip.

I would give it another drive and see if you still feel the same way, but whatever you decide to do, enjoy it!

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Matttheboatman (04-07-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 04:12 PM

I will have to do another test drive. Dame Porsche are so over priced now. Thanks

Old 03-30-2018, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Oz's post on the R going away would send me to buy an SVR. Some great deals on close outs a few months back. JLR is going the Porsche route to make you pay dearly for more more power/performance. The Jag is a great value as has been said. I too am attracted by the Porsche precision, but the Jag has the "it" factor. I'd buy a Porsche if I could afford both. Beautiful vert in the photo.......

Old 04-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

The 981 model Cayman S is nearly the perfect sports car. I started with a 2014, then got a 2015 Cayman GTS, then a 2016 GT4. All great cars, and even better track cars. But, I am exceedingly happy with the Jag F-Type R.

The Jag is pretty, sounds so much better, and the reaction from people who see the Jag on the street is ridiculous. My wife says she hates all the teen-aged boys giving her the thumbs up. And, the neighbors who tell her they know when she is leaving for work. For those reasons in particular, I LOVE IT!

Old 04-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all - not coming from a Porsche background, but from a 2013 Lotus Evora S to a 2017 F-Type S AWD. I agree Jag is definitely pretty & sounds incredible. Slightly heavier than the Lotus, but by far more luxurious, with many more amenities (don’t underestimate the value of cup holders!) I have not had a lot of opportunity so far this Spring to drive the Jag due to miserable weather here, but what I have noticed in a few outings, is a significant difference in handling (Lotus handles like a go cart). Powerwise, the Lotus seemed slightly quicker off the line (maybe due to mid engine configuration & less weight). I’m looking at upgrading crank pulley & tuning to boost the Jag hp/torque slightly. Otherwise, the jag is stunning & its BRG!

Attached Thumbnails Who moved from a porsche to a f type?-c6046cb9-54cf-4068-bc15-a3dd61d25e81.jpeg   Who moved from a porsche to a f type?-73d0c009-c31d-4e5e-9807-521a0f1a6ee6.jpeg  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trucho
After three years of searching for a car that would check all my boxes, I can honestly say that I found it. Yes, that car is the Jaguar F Type R!

Since 2014, I have gone through an Audi S4, a BMW M4, a Cayman S, and a 911S and all these cars left me wanting more.

Let me explain with the following 0 to 10 rating scale:

2014 Audi S4:
Performance: 8. It felt more powerful than the advertised 333 HP.
Sound: 8. It had a beautiful backfire sound.
Looks: 6.
Fun to drive: 7.

2016 BMW M4:
Performance: 8. Noticeably more power than the Audi, but somehow less thrilling.
Sound: 3. This car needs an aftermarket exhaust. OEM is atrocious.
Looks: This is the one that received the most compliments with the exception of the F Type.
Fun to drive: 5.

2016 Porsche Cayman S:
Performance: 9.
Sound: 9.
Looks: 7. You need the GTS version if you want to impress.
Fun to drive: 9. This is a car that I miss.

2014 Porsche 911 S:
Performance: 9.
Sound: 8. I had to install Porsche’s Sport exhaust to make it sound decent.
Looks: 7.
Fun to drive: 8.

Let me mention that I bought the 911S used with 5,500 miles. BIG MISTAKE! Never had a car given me so many headaches and dissatisfactions as this 911. Sure, the four times in eleven months that it was at the dealer for corrective maintenance was covered under warranty, but none of the three dealers I took it to was able to fix the clunky PDK transmission. The car was just not right. It felt as if it had 55,000 miles on it and not 5,500. Highly disappointing.

This brings me to my latest car...

2017 Jaguar F Type R:
Performance: 10. Still breaking it in.
Sound: Heaven, although I expected that it would be louder inside.
Looks: 10. I go out to my driveway in the middle of the night just to look at it!
Fun to drive: My F Type R is my F16 fighter jet! All smiles all the time!!

Conclusion:
1. F Type is King. Cayman is runner up. Audi S4 comes in third place. 911 is fourth. M4 is last...

2. If you have a Cayman, you have the best Porsche has to offer in the price range of $70,000 to $130,000.

3. Never go for a used Porsche unless you test drive it for a couple of days. One test drive around the dealership is not enough.

4. Dollar for dollar, the F Type R is hands down the most satisfying car under $120,000.

PS: There are great Jag deals out there to be had. My 2017 F Type R has an MSRP of $111,000. I purchased it for $84,000 just five days ago.
Totally agree with your conclusions.

The following users liked this post:
Timberman (04-07-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Timberman
Hi all - not coming from a Porsche background, but from a 2013 Lotus Evora S to a 2017 F-Type S AWD. I agree Jag is definitely pretty & sounds incredible. Slightly heavier than the Lotus, but by far more luxurious, with many more amenities (don’t underestimate the value of cup holders!) I have not had a lot of opportunity so far this Spring to drive the Jag due to miserable weather here, but what I have noticed in a few outings, is a significant difference in handling (Lotus handles like a go cart). Powerwise, the Lotus seemed slightly quicker off the line (maybe due to mid engine configuration & less weight). I’m looking at upgrading crank pulley & tuning to boost the Jag hp/torque slightly. Otherwise, the jag is stunning & its BRG!
Jag slightly heavier than the lotus? LOL...like apples and grapes, what are you smoking.

Quick Reply: Who moved from a porsche to a f type?