Sponsored by:

Wing / Spoiler and Info DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Wing / Spoiler and Info DIY

Hi Group,

On a roll....I had all my photos etc. together so figured I would put the info in my DIY format related to Spoilers. Info is focused on Coupe as I have no access to the convertibles. Much will apply to both.
Also, assumptions here are LH Drive cars....same would apply in reverse on RH Drives

What I have documented here is : How to Disable rear deployable OEM spoiler, How to disable error messages (after disabling spoiler), How to install Fixed wing, and Lift-gate Lips as other options.
Lots of info and pictures included to help others who may be doing or considering any of these tasks.

I will keep them coming as I mod the car while stuck at home...and if they are useful to anyone.

As before, These are created in the spirit of helping others.If you have a better way of doing it, knock yourself out!...this is simply what worked for me, and what may be helpful/useful to others.

DC

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DC Rear Wing Info.pdf (2.71 MB, 586 views)
The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 04:18 PM
Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Hi Group,

On a roll....I had all my photos etc. together so figured I would put the info in my DIY format related to Spoilers. Info is focused on Coupe as I have no access to the convertibles. Much will apply to both.
Also, assumptions here are LH Drive cars....same would apply in reverse on RH Drives

What I have documented here is : How to Disable rear deployable OEM spoiler, How to disable error messages (after disabling spoiler), How to install Fixed wing, and Lift-gate Lips as other options.
Lots of info and pictures included to help others who may be doing or considering any of these tasks.

I will keep them coming as I mod the car while stuck at home...and if they are useful to anyone.

As before, These are created in the spirit of helping others.If you have a better way of doing it, knock yourself out!...this is simply what worked for me, and what may be helpful/useful to others.

DC
Okay DC, we're going to need you to dial it back a bit - nobody likes a show off. Great write ups and a perfect demonstration of the value of these types of forums. Well done, credit to you Sir!

Also, please provide the details for transmission service and repair as well as a valve job....even if your car doesn't need that work performed - no pressure, but it would be great to have them tomorrow.

Last edited by gg2684; 06-17-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gg2684
Okay DC, we're going to need you to dial it back a bit - nobody likes a show off. Great write ups and a perfect demonstration of the value of these types of forums. Well done, credit to you Sir!

Also, please provide the details for transmission service and repair as well as a valve job....even if your car doesn't need that work performed - no pressure, but it would be great to have them tomorrow.
Haha. I will get right on that. As soon as I am done with my workout, I will stay up all night and complete it....even though I do not need it

Actually...I did get up really early today to finish up the rear strut DIY, as several people asked me for it and I had all of the content / photos.

Thanks, and take care.
DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
DJS (06-18-2020), Phantomf4collector (06-20-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

We are very fortunate to have you on this forum. I greatly appreciate these DIYs. Thank you!

Old 06-17-2020, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by STMPY
We are very fortunate to have you on this forum. I greatly appreciate these DIYs. Thank you!
Thank you! My pleasure.

DC

Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Awesome 😎
I vote we officially change your name to “ The Rockstar88”.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Nicely done!

Old 06-18-2020, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Awesome 😎
I vote we officially change your name to “ The Rockstar88”.
Haha...Love it Not necessary or deserved, but appreciate the sentiment. Glad it is helpful.

Take care,
DC

dougdean (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 03:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd like to add to the thanks. I think I've read every spoiler post on this forum trying to wrap my head around the disable options pros/cons. Grateful that you bundled it all up in a complete package and with your own experience. Soon as I can I hope to try the disable switch approach. That way I can have fun with it when desired, but not feel quite so silly in traffic @ 51 mph with a spoiler deployed while every junk box on wheels around me (or faster) is juuuusst fine. Plus the lines are better with it down. When I want to crank it up to high speeds, then the switch can be enabled. I follow all of Jag's logic in the software and aerodynamics/safety, but I spend a lot of time in the 50 - 80 mph range, and only do infrequent and short burts to 100+. I like having the control of the feature in the spectrum that I operate most.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:06 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutch
... the lines are better with it down.
That's why you need the fixed spoiler - it looks good all the time!

Old 06-18-2020, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Guys...Glad it is useful/helpful.

DC

Old 06-18-2020, 05:12 PM

Ha - I don't mind ruining the lines when I blast away from some moron, popping from 70 - 100 in a flash and their eyes fixate on the rising as I pull away! Worth it.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Question - maybe I'm not following correctly, but is this sentence missing the word "not"?

"When the switch/circuit is open, the wing will activate/deploy when it is closed (ON) it works as normal."

Shouldn't it be:

"When the switch/circuit is open, the wing will NOT activate/deploy; when it is closed (ON) it works as normal."

Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Question - maybe I'm not following correctly, but is this sentence missing the word "not"?

"When the switch/circuit is open, the wing will activate/deploy when it is closed (ON) it works as normal."

Shouldn't it be:

"When the switch/circuit is open, the wing will NOT activate/deploy; when it is closed (ON) it works as normal."

Thanks for setting me straight.
Yes...Thanks...A typo on my part - or actually a missed word. Should say NOT. I will see if I can edit and reload it.

DC

EDIT: Site won't let me edit/change the first/original post.

Updated document attached here! I tried to clarify the steps for the motor disconnect option. I have tried to provide as much info, clarity and images as I can to help guide you, but note there will be variances, and I have not covered every detail...Just FYI - My intent with this is a Guide with info and some DIY processes - it is not a Jaguar Bible... Feel
free to continue to add comments/observations here for continuous improvement for the community. I have owned 20+ Porsches and many BMWs and pretty well an expert there- But this in my FIRST Jaguar, so the learning continues and I will continue to share as I learn. Enjoy!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DC Rear Wing Info 2.pdf (2.81 MB, 189 views)

Last edited by Therock88; 06-20-2020 at 07:40 AM.
karamayoko (10-28-2022)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

I have the Maxton lip

djyankees31 (09-03-2022)
Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Yes...Thanks...A typo on my part - or actually a missed word. Should say NOT. I will see if I can edit and reload it.

DC

EDIT: Site won't let me edit/change the first/original post. Here is the corrected document.
Rock,
Not to be picky but I think you have left out a vital step in the "disable the rear spoiler by disconnecting the power plug" method.
If you do it the way you show in the PDF then the spoiler will remain in the "up" position permanently, as that is the only way you can access the 11 TS27 screws on the cover plate if you don't take the extra step I detail below. You need to access those screws with the spoiler down, and the only way to do that is to remove the spoiler lid while it is in the down position. You remove the lid in the down position by popping out the two underneath cover panels (which you show nicely!) and then you can access the four spoiler lid bolts (two each side). For the life of me I can't remember it they are ordinary hex bolts or Torx screws but the details are in my post from some three years ago where I figured out how to disable the spoiler.

Edit - found it (my post that is): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post1614196
The four spoiler lid bolts are Torx T30s.

Last edited by OzXFR; 06-19-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Rock,
Not to be picky but I think you have left out a vital step in the "disable the rear spoiler by disconnecting the power plug" method.
If you do it the way you show in the PDF then the spoiler will remain in the "up" position permanently, as that is the only way you can access the 11 TS27 screws on the cover plate if you don't take the extra step I detail below. You need to access those screws with the spoiler down, and the only way to do that is to remove the spoiler lid while it is in the down position. You remove the lid in the down position by popping out the two underneath cover panels (which you show nicely!) and then you can access the four spoiler lid bolts (two each side). For the life of me I can't remember it they are ordinary hex bolts or Torx screws but the details are in my post from some three years ago where I figured out how to disable the spoiler.

Edit - found it (my post that is): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post1614196
The four spoiler lid bolts are Torx T30s.
Not picky at all. Good points. Was trying to get a lot of various info in one document for reference from my head, so figure I may miss a detail or two, or maybe something out of order. I will see if I can clear it up in the document. You can actually do as I had it described to get it all off, and while off the car, it is easier to get those vents off and the spoiler....then plug it back in an lower it....then bolt the plate back on and mount the spoiler before snapping the vents back in. Very tough to pop off those vent clips on the car without breaking them. Not Impossible, but difficult.

Thanks for the suggestion....I will see if I can add some clarity and post another....wish I could delete the others??

DC

OzXFR (06-19-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

If anyone gets their hands on a SVR spoiler and wants to swap it’s a plug and play, it plugs into the same wire to tilt the SVR spoiler

Old 06-20-2020, 09:09 AM

Thanks Rock. A suggestion (and me checking before I cut) - when you say "this" wire, the arrow points to the yellow one. Is it always a yellow wire there, and is it always that position/pin in the harness block? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if there are MY differences, or whether it's always "the yellow wire at pin X"? You may not have that answer but maybe some other folks can chime in. Thanks again for your sharing your knowledge and contributing your time, much appreciated.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Rock. A suggestion (and me checking before I cut) - when you say "this" wire, the arrow points to the yellow one. Is it always a yellow wire there, and is it always that position/pin in the harness block? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if there are MY differences, or whether it's always "the yellow wire at pin X"? You may not have that answer but maybe some other folks can chime in. Thanks again for your sharing your knowledge and contributing your time, much appreciated.
Great question. I can only speak to mine,, and what I have seen on the Web. My suggestion is to look at your car, and if it looks just like that with the gray and green blocks and same wires, you should be good to go. If different, I would check for a wiring Diagram before cutting. Mine looked exactly like any images I found on the web. I will also see if I can find a wiring diagram from my old business data (Owned Auto Repair Franchise as a side gig). If so, I will post.

I did find this info. One item was on this forum HERE Hopefully will help guide you.

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 06-20-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Wing / Spoiler and Info DIY