F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got my F type back this morning after having a stud replaced and the less than perfect sound system looked at for a buzz. The stud required a new hub and bearing.

They determined the stereo was an issue with the both subwoofers. Both were replaced with a newer version. The current infotainment SW was loaded as well. I was a little concerned about having the seats, carpet and panels pulled. It's fairly involved. I can't tell that the car was touched. Really nice job putting it back together and best of all the stereo sounds so much better. Nice tight bass and a warmer sound. It's still sounds terrible with Sirius as a source but 10x better when I use a better source or even HD Radio.

Attached Thumbnails Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!-fullsizeoutput_1f25.jpeg  
Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Attached is the actual service bulletin. You might find it useful when you take the car to the dealer.
I spoke with the dealer today about this without referring to the actual service bulletin, just saying “I think there’s a software update to fix this” and letting them do their own research. Anyway, they came back to me and said the update doesn’t apply to my car, that it could make things worse rather than better, etc.According to the service bulletin you posted, my car fits EXCEPT it’s not a coupe. Is it true that this SB is only for coupes?I know I do hear buzzing in the tweeters with a tone generator at 35hz (and with music as well).What should I do??

Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
I spoke with the dealer today about this without referring to the actual service bulletin, just saying “I think there’s a software update to fix this” and letting them do their own research. Anyway, they came back to me and said the update doesn’t apply to my car, that it could make things worse rather than better, etc.According to the service bulletin you posted, my car fits EXCEPT it’s not a coupe. Is it true that this SB is only for coupes?I know I do hear buzzing in the tweeters with a tone generator at 35hz (and with music as well).What should I do??
I would try to find another dealer. At 35hz, you shouldn't hear anything from the tweeter.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I would try to find another dealer. At 35hz, you shouldn't hear anything from the tweeter.
Is there anything they can do though? I have the 770w system... seems like mixed results for the TSB in this thread for the 770w, and that’s what the dealer warned about - that whatever update they found (I’m assuming it’s the same one we’re talking about in this thread) could make it worse since I have the higher end system to begin with.

Also, another dealer isn’t possible. The next closest is over 4 hours away...

Old 01-18-2018, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 317 Posts

So is this problem still going on with 2017/18 models or just applies to earlier cars.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
Is there anything they can do though? I have the 770w system... seems like mixed results for the TSB in this thread for the 770w, and that’s what the dealer warned about - that whatever update they found (I’m assuming it’s the same one we’re talking about in this thread) could make it worse since I have the higher end system to begin with.

Also, another dealer isn’t possible. The next closest is over 4 hours away...
I don't remember anyone saying the fix made things worse. In some cases the fix just didn't make it better.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Arne (01-18-2018), slojotaa (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Powerhouse, my 17r coupe is in the shop right now getting this update. Looks like at least some of the 17’s have the issue.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My MY18 SVR technically has the same wattage (non-surround) meridian system as my old MY15 S - but they sound completely different - MY18 sounds perfect - MY15 was dreadful.

Of course it might have had the update applied before I got it but the newer infotainment system has, for example, no CD, a sim slot and an extra USB so it's different hardware and software.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

My 2016 R coupe (770 watt) improved to point of enjoyment with the fix.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
My 2016 R coupe (770 watt) improved to point of enjoyment with the fix.
Hmmm, alright. I guess I'll give them a printout of the TSB and be a bit more adamant next time I'm up there... Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick follow up on my my17 r, got it back from the dealer this last weekend and sure enough the sound is night and day better after the update. Dealer confirmed the update was missing.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi there

I have an 2016 SVR F-type and at lower volumes the subwoofers kind of sound like they are blown/buzzing/resonating. It means I either turn the sub off or pump the volume up at which point the subs are nice and punchy, which is not ideal as I just like my music as background music.

In short the sound system at low volumes really sucks to listen to dance music.

I took my car to Jaguar and I was told my car has all updates, they said it was on phase 2, they said a phase 3 is coming out anytime now which will update all modules on the car.

I am in the UK by the way.

I am concerned my infotainment system is not the latest update as here in UK they just seem to have phase 1, 2 and a soon to be released 3 and these updates are for all the cars modules.

Is there anyway I can check by myself using the in car infotainment system or the iphone aps what version of the software I am running?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Update done

Took my 17 F type in for the buzzing issue. Software updated and huge difference to sound quality.

Also my Sirius had stopped working, so they replaced the antenna and cap. Works great now.

Only downside. Took a week, and my loaner was an Enterprise Mustang.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Hi there

I have an 2016 SVR F-type and at lower volumes the subwoofers kind of sound like they are blown/buzzing/resonating. It means I either turn the sub off or pump the volume up at which point the subs are nice and punchy, which is not ideal as I just like my music as background music.

In short the sound system at low volumes really sucks to listen to dance music.

I took my car to Jaguar and I was told my car has all updates, they said it was on phase 2, they said a phase 3 is coming out anytime now which will update all modules on the car.

I am in the UK by the way.

I am concerned my infotainment system is not the latest update as here in UK they just seem to have phase 1, 2 and a soon to be released 3 and these updates are for all the cars modules.

Is there anyway I can check by myself using the in car infotainment system or the iphone aps what version of the software I am running?
I just picked up our 17' R and this is exactly the same. I brought it right back to the dealership and they did an update but sounds just as bad. Like you said, its horrible at lower volumes. I am in the U.S. btw

Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18332
I just picked up our 17' R and this is exactly the same. I brought it right back to the dealership and they did an update but sounds just as bad. Like you said, its horrible at lower volumes. I am in the U.S. btw
Saw your post on the other thread. I strongly suggest that you do what Nati stated and either go back, or go to a different dealer. Either way, the fix is "materially different". BTW, as an added tip, I retrofitted foam around the speakers, and did some speaker swap out (interchangeable parts) from other jags. The stereo couldn't sound any better as a result. However, just the software fix should do the trick for you, I promise you will like it. Don't give up and get frustrated as a result, just get them or another Jag dealer to do it right! Best of Luck!

Old 03-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Diminiko
I noticed th OP has a 2016 R convertible. All the TSB information seems to refer to Coupe only and from 2015 on.

Has anyone had a fix applied to an older convertible? I have a 2014 base V6 with the upgraded sound.

Did you ever get an answer to this? I have a 2014 V6S convertible with the buzzing speaker issue.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Same here. Had my dealer update the 770W stereo with the TSB notice, although I was the one who asked them to check. I heard buzzing and rattling in both A-pillar tweeters and the dealer didn't bother to do an update first, they replaced one of the tweeters but they didn't screw it back on right, so when I went back, they finally performed the update and put the (new) speaker back on. Way better.

The following users liked this post:
Roadstergal (07-10-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I need to figure this out too (starting to go back and read all the radio threads). I haven't really cranked the system yet because I'm enjoying the sound of my car more than music right now. However, I've always used the loud, obnoxious music as a way to pretend I don't hear all the idiots thinking that I'll actually stop for them for saying dumb things like "Hey baby, can I get a ride in your car?" and with the music cranked, I can just pretend I don't hear them. Since that's my norm, I need it not to sound so terrible (I've already had to turn down the bass and sub more than I'd like so I'm assuming nothing y'all have mentioned with the TSBs were ever done to my car) compared to what I have in my '06 Solstice. When I go in for my first oil change/service, I'll talk to them about it then since I can deal with it for now. Threads like this are part of the reason I looked for the forums in the first place.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I gave my dealer a honey do list after a few months of being too busy to bring it in. One item was this TSB... 16' Coupe, it really was a night and day difference. It used to sound like the higher frequency components were obscured by lower frequency ones, so some songs sounded better with bass to 0 sub to 0. Very happy with this fix.

Kind of off topic (see above) but I filled out a survey once from JLR about what I expect as a loaner car and basically told them that I'm ok with anything but the XE, beautiful looking car but uncomfortable as all hell. Got it once and after the survey never again.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Ippolito
I gave my dealer a honey do list after a few months of being too busy to bring it in. One item was this TSB... 16' Coupe, it really was a night and day difference. It used to sound like the higher frequency components were obscured by lower frequency ones, so some songs sounded better with bass to 0 sub to 0. Very happy with this fix.

Kind of off topic (see above) but I filled out a survey once from JLR about what I expect as a loaner car and basically told them that I'm ok with anything but the XE, beautiful looking car but uncomfortable as all hell. Got it once and after the survey never again.
Interesting, how do they track the fact that you don't want an XE as a loaner? Do you just request that you don't want it everytime?

Quick Reply: Wow Jaguar....Stereo all fixed finally!!