Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which of you guys are the complainers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
It was mentioned in another thread that high end luxury cars generate more complaints because there is a higher expectation. A Hyundai buyer is not nearly as likely to return to the dealer for a "rattle" or anything so minor as a Jaguar or Mercedes buyer. But what is sad is that the industry average is 93 complaints per 100 cars. Of all the other consumer products I've bought, home appliances, televisions, power tools, air conditioning systems, computers, etc., I don't think I've experienced more than maybe 10 complaints per 100 of anything brand new. I guess I'll just keep buying my luxury cars used and let everyone else deal with sorting out all of the initial quality issues along with the initial depreciation hit.
However, consider...cars these days are at least many orders of magnitude times more complex than any washing machine.

The following users liked this post:
scm (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,477 Likes on 7,450 Posts

Consumer Reports is also negative on Jaguars reliability. They do like Jags on some other aspects though..

Old 06-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Consumer Reports is also negative on Jaguars reliability. They do like Jags on some other aspects though..
Yeah they really liked the I Pace but said they couldn't recommend it due to Jag's history of poor reliability.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Yeah they really liked the I Pace but said they couldn't recommend it due to Jag's history of poor reliability.
It's funny, Jaguar can compete in Formula E and pull off a race win (well, once so far, anyway) and develop an EV from scratch, but they can't seem to figure out how to make the car's electrics shut off after something has been plugged into the OBDII port.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
It's funny, Jaguar can compete in Formula E and pull off a race win (well, once so far, anyway) and develop an EV from scratch, but they can't seem to figure out how to make the car's electrics shut off after something has been plugged into the OBDII port.
This is what makes the marque so iconic. These cars are imbued with the spirit of Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. Before you claim that the current F-Type has no Lucas involvement, consider that over the course of history, Lucas Industries was merged into ZF Friedrichshaven AG. Sound familiar? Embrace the soul of this car.

scm (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 06:32 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I suppose they recommend Mercedes because of their history of good engineering, rather than what they're like nowadays.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I bet it's those darned curmudgeonly manual owners.

Always complaining about "slipping clutches" and such... they should've gotten the auto!
NOBODY who actually enjoys the driving experience should ever be saddled with an automatic. If I wanted a vehicle to shift for itself, I would get an '85 Yugo. Driving experiences would be roughly the same...boring.

Further, once those of us who had a 1st Gen clutch that was never designed for the modest horsepower of the V6S replaced, few have had issues. In other words, with a PROPER placement to start with, there would not have BEEN a complaint.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

My guess regarding reliability would be the information/entertainment system and resultant problems... stereo speaker rattle as well. I currently have 3 Jaguars with a couple before that, and have always found them reliable.

Larry

Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Since the topic started as "initial quality" I'll note that both door seals were incorrectly attached (one fastener, some on both sides, not plugged into its hole) and a pair of bolts that held the driver's side headlight simply fell out. Minor issues, but I expected better. After the honeymoon was over, it was just the clutch (plus rear main seal) and the pinion shaft seal on the diff. Oh, and a few miscellany, like the satellite radio antenna and condensation in the third brake light. It was all covered under warranty. I topped 36K miles on Friday, so don't have too much to complain about. If I'd had to pay for the clutch, that's be a different story.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

This JD Powers report is not about Complaints nor Complainers, it's about:

"... the number of problems experienced per 100 cars during those first 90 days. “Problems,” as a J.D. Power spokesperson defined them, are broken down into two groups.

The first is a “failure to operate,” which means that something on the car breaks or doesn’t work or function in the way that you’d expect it to. Things like paint chips, orange peel in the paint, door jambs that don’t fit well, a car that doesn’t start, brake squeal, etc.

The second is “difficult to use,” which is where the car’s technology actually works properly, but is designed in a way that’s hard or confusing for the owner to operate or use. So, they will think that it doesn’t work because it isn’t intuitive or they weren’t taught at the dealership."

So it's just a report card to show us Jaguar & LR owners saying we have more "problems" than other makes over the first 3 months of ownership.

They're not reporting on how we love or hate our the ownership nor the driving experience of our Jags over the long term.
So for those of us who had no initial issues, chill out.
Maybe this is a good thing, so that it'll motivate Tata & Jaguar/LR will focus on building higher quality vehicles with less initial problems in the near future...

JgaXkr (06-23-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
It was mentioned in another thread that high end luxury cars generate more complaints because there is a higher expectation. A Hyundai buyer is not nearly as likely to return to the dealer for a "rattle" or anything so minor as a Jaguar or Mercedes buyer.
This.

Dave

Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mbelanger
NOBODY who actually enjoys the driving experience should ever be saddled with an automatic. If I wanted a vehicle to shift for itself, I would get an '85 Yugo. Driving experiences would be roughly the same...boring.
The ZF is easily configured to shift manually and nobody that has ever been in my F type described it as "boring". ;-)

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by DPelletier:
Lani Kai (06-24-2019), RickyJay52 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

I believe it is an historic fact that it is women - not “guys” (that is the title of your post, isn’t it?) - who are the complainers and 99.9% of the time those complaints are directed at us***.

Tell me I’m wrong (and I will never ever post again on the F-Type Forum).

ADDENDUM:

***Justifiably

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-24-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
The ZF is easily configured to shift manually and nobody that has ever been in my F type described it as "boring". ;-)

Dave
Honestly, I have to agree with mbelanger (I was being facetious before). You could give me the most fantastic car in the world, but if it doesn't have a third pedal and a stick then I'll always have that lingering feeling that I could be having more fun if only it did.

I've sampled an f type v8, an m4, and a c63s, all with AT. For as great as all the other parameters and characteristics of those cars were, I just couldn't get over the nagging sensation of feeling like more of a passenger than a driver. To me it feels like driving with training wheels. Maybe this'll change when I get older. Heck, my dad just bought his first AT at age 71, he seems happy with it (though it may have been largely due to the fact that the vehicle he was after isn't offered with MT &#128533.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I believe it is an historic fact that it is women - not “guys” (that is the title of your post, isn’t it?) - who are the complainers and 99.9% of the time those complaints are against us. Guys.

Tell me I’m wrong (and I will never ever post again on the F-Type Forum).
You are wrong. It's not 99.9%, but only 98.9% of the time. The other 1.1% are toward the kids...

Old 06-24-2019, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Honestly, I have to agree with mbelanger (I was being facetious before). You could give me the most fantastic car in the world, but if it doesn't have a third pedal and a stick then I'll always have that lingering feeling that I could be having more fun if only it did.

I've sampled an f type v8, an m4, and a c63s, all with AT. For as great as all the other parameters and characteristics of those cars were, I just couldn't get over the nagging sensation of feeling like more of a passenger than a driver. To me it feels like driving with training wheels. Maybe this'll change when I get older. Heck, my dad just bought his first AT at age 71, he seems happy with it (though it may have been largely due to the fact that the vehicle he was after isn't offered with MT &#128533.

This has been debated a thousand times and will be debated continuously until the last manual car is produced. I like manuals; my DD is a 6 spd and I've owned dozens of them; I also have two motorcycles which are both manuals (and yes, they are starting to make automatic motorcycles). Many times I've gone back and forth on purchases, buying a manual one year and trading it for an auto the next only to repeat the cycle the following year....in the past autos have been mushy and less engaging but now with DCT's and transmissions like the excellent ZF8, I no longer feel like I'm making a compromise buying a modern paddle shifted DCT or auto. I appreciate the sentiment of those that want to stick to a manual gear box in thier cars, but I have to laugh when anyone calls a car like the F type V8 "boring"......if it's boring, you aren't driving it right! ;-)

It would be nice if all cars offered the choice, but the fact is that manuals are quickly disappearing.....mainly due to the advancement in current transmission technology which offers you excellent performance, good economy and the ability to manually shift (via the paddles) for when you choose to do so. Tranmission technology has come a looooooooong way since my 1966 Cutlass' 2 spd Powerglide.

Again, not knocking the manuals or those that chose to buy them but at least recognize that the current autos/DCT's are great choices as well.

Cheers,
Dave

The following 3 users liked this post by DPelletier:
Lani Kai (06-24-2019), RickyJay52 (06-24-2019), scm (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Ask any current F1 driver if he misses an MT?

Truth be told, this age-old debate (on this Forum) is 1) old news - to each his/her own and I too love an MT, and have 2 and 2) not all that apropos to this thread. At least I don’t think it is. Yet here I am offering my opinion.

The good news is since I’ve been told I was wrong in an earlier post, on this thread, this is my absolute last post on the F-Type Forum!

Old 06-24-2019, 02:43 PM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I have to laugh when anyone calls a car like the F type V8 "boring"
Certainly not boring! (Just not as fun as it could be... &#128521

If I had to (gun to my head, mind you) get an auto, it would certainly be the f type r. I really enjoyed the test drive. As my (m4) friend puts it, the car has "f***-you power".

It's a silly debate; there is no right or wrong. Simply preference, in my view.

The following 2 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
DPelletier (06-24-2019), RickyJay52 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM

So how does a post about initial quality issues turn into a Stick vs Auto debate?

Guess that's how Jag got to the bottom of da list...

RickyJay52 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
So how does a post about initial quality issues turn into a Stick vs Auto debate?

Guess that's how Jag got to the bottom of da list...
I agree. Although Unhingd would have you believe the answer to your question is: short attention span. (I’ve been guilty myself and why I am going into exile).

Quick Reply: Which of you guys are the complainers?