General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 xj8 A/C not very cold.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 xj8 A/C not very cold.

A/C not very cold. I'm average, mechanically. Is this something I can do by adding freon or do I need to take it in and have pressures, flushing and leak checks? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:05 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

The 'correct' approach is flush, check for leaks and, if there are none, refill with the correct weight of refrigerant and PAG oil.

However, you say it's 'not very cold' which suggests it could just be low on refrigerant so you may get away with adding refrigerant. It's a gamble because the AC is a complex system and there's a lot can go wrong to cause insufficient cooling.

Here's the relevant extract from the workshop manual:

Climate Control System - Diagnosis & Testing.pdf

See the Insufficient cooling section.

Graham

Old 08-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought a pressure tester off Ebay and some canisters of top up gas. I was probably lucky but the pressure in the system was low and a can of gas restored it to where it should be and it's been fine for a year now. Debatable weather it's worth it or not because the gas is expensive and a lot of places do a set price top up. I think our cars take a lot of gas to bring them up to the mark.