General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anyone know how to download JTIS on a mac?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to download JTIS on a mac?

Hi,
Has anyone downloaded the JTIS on a mac?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I have it on my Mac Mini -- I used Wine Bottler. If I remember right, there are some instructions on this in the JTIS thread in the X308 section or wherever I saw it before! LOL If I run into it, I'll post the link.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Received 133 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by wotcham8
Hi,
Has anyone downloaded the JTIS on a mac?
I have CD's on the way, still have a PB 17" handy, but expect to load them onto an OpenBSD machine, not the Mac.

Per other threads, one can 'play' the whole shebang with use of a Windows emulator (Wine & Sputniks). My pref, as I own WinWOES licenses and image files is to utilize Qemu ('Q' gui interface when installed to the Mac).

Otherwise - their raw file contents should be readable w/o the Win-proprietary navigation/indexing toolset.

'Will advise' how that pans out when those arrive if someone else has not already done a re-organization/navigation job instead of having to mess with WinWOES atall.

Update 1:

Still no CD's, but from the downloaded .zip archive.

- once extracted, it proved to be rife with WinWOES '.cab' files. These had been created with Installshield, hence needed 'unshield' to extract, not 'cabextract'.

- once those were extracted, myriad .gif files hold the graphics, many '.sgm' (.sgml) files carry the text. Likely candidates for their creation include Adobe Framemaker and Corel Wordperfect. These can be read with any raw text editor, will also open in LibreOffice/StarOffice, or some browsers.

Have not yet had time to see what would be required to restore the navigation, drill-down, formatting, and association of graphics with text, but it appears to be similar in scope to restoring a website rip of a site coded so as to make ripping tedious.

BTDTGTTS, but will probably settle for extracting only my own vehicle's particulars - converting to the most basic of static html.

First 'nugget' of useful and not-previously known-to-me info?

Power seats that have inbuilt air-bags want at least a ten second wait after battery is disconnected before working on them. Implies that the airbag sensors/actuators have some sort of local sustaining power? Ignorance of that could perhaps lead to a first-order 'bitch slap'.

UPDATE TWO;

A pair of amazingly low-cost purchased CD's having arrived from the UK today, am abandoning all interest in the 'free' download as not worth the time and effort.

See next post.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-24-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 PM

Even IF one has an appropriate WinVIRonment, the complexity to make use of the download no longer fits my personal idea of a wise use of resources.

The actual 'commercial edition' Workshop Manual CD's are low-cost enough, and arrived very rapidly by post from the UK.

On the CD sits a subdir called 'PDFs'.

Within that, one may open:

- a fully illustrated 6,361 page document 'X350-XJ-Manual.pdf'

- a fully-illustrated 91-page document 'Electrical-X3102004en.pdf'

'Puter Operating System is not a factor for those, no WIN-hassle required.

To Do:

See if the 'JTIS' cabinet files previously opened contain enough unique information to be worth the bother of de-WinViring.

I'll take the other CD of the two purchased to a WinVictim and let them do the arcane fudge-with to get them set up, then carry the .pdf's in on my Unix laptop and do a side-by-side statistical audit to sort the differences, if any.

More as it transpires...

Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have only macs in the house. Would it be possible to have a sticky with JTIS PDF's or is that too much time and effort? Can you purchase JTIS is PDF format? Thanks, David.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dnjaa
I also have only macs in the house. Would it be possible to have a sticky with JTIS PDF's or is that too much time and effort? Can you purchase JTIS is PDF format? Thanks, David.
Until a Windows user who can, and has, made a comparison weighs-in to the contrary, I am presuming that all the information IN the on-CD .pdf file(s) of both of those I purchased is ALL the information, and that the Win-specific junk is just monkey-motion. Probably extra navigation, advertising, links to more off-CD advertising, tracking, monitoring, and malware downloads.

IOW - if not Win-flicted, just ignore all that, search and navigate the .pdf directly.

Having found all I needed, have abandoned the comparison I once had planned.

Last edited by Thermite; 08-23-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to Old Mike I downloaded a repair manual for my car in PDF from jagdocs.com. David.