General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

British Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default British Diagnostics

Hi Everyone,

So about a week ago I ordered one of those clone cables from their (British Diagnostics) website directly and chose air shipping. I read a few posts from others on here that referenced this seller regarding lack of communication after ordering. I'm about to the point of filing a claim through PayPal, because I've sent a few messages and haven't received any kind of response. I ordered from him because he supposedly tests the cable to make sure it's safe. I'm starting to wonder if I should've just ordered it from China directly. Does anyone on here care to share your experience with them? I've been as patient as I can be, but not writing back at all is frustrating to say the least. I'm not asking for much, just want to know it's on its way and a tracking number. Or even just whether they're still alive.. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

James

Old 09-21-2017, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

It is entirely possible that the seller is on holiday.
The 6 week school summer holiday ended at the beginning of Sept.
A lot of Brits choose to go on holiday during these few last weeks of summer when the kids are back at school.
Holidays are cheaper and there is usually still some good weather in Spain etc.
This might be the case or might not?

The following users liked this post:
jee70611 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I bought a cable from them before, through eBay. They were great to deal with initially. Since then, when I've had issues with the cable, I never got any response from them. I assumed it was because they didn't want to deal with me regarding trouble with the cable, but maybe they're doa?

I reached out to them months ago.

The following users liked this post:
jee70611 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Busa,

Thanks for the insight about him possibly being on holiday! I could understand if that was the case. I actually got a response after getting PayPal involved. I'm glad to know he is still alive. I was getting that feeling that I was ever going to hear anything and that I would have to make a PayPal claim. I still may have to, but I'm hoping that it'll just be shipped to me as I initially wanted.

Hi Vee,

That's unfortunate that you haven't been able to get a response on your troubles. I got an email saying there was some trouble with a software update or something, but I had only ordered the cable. However, perhaps it's a good thing that it's being worked on. Did your troubles start right away or was it the typical scenario that the cable just stops working? I actually have a friend of mine that may go in with me to get the genuine cable so we could both use it on our Jags as needed. That would, of course, be the best option.

Thank you both!

James

Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Cable initially worked, then later stopped. They did help me get the right software to get the cable to read the codes, and even then it was sporadic, but I did manage to get it to work often enough.

It was at least two years later when I had lost the laptop that the software resided on that I needed help with. Since then, I’ve moved on and gotten a WDS machine to work. I’m through with that Mongoose stuff.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Hmmm...there may well be history of cable problems here

[QUOTE=Vee;1766567]Cable initially worked, then later stopped. They did help me get the right software to get the cable to read the codes, and even then it was sporadic, but I did manage to get it to work often enough.

I bought a cable and the SDD software (v130) several years ago from them and used it without a problem on several occasions. The laptop on which the program was installed died on me and after I replaced it with exactly the same model (Dell) and installed the software it began acting strangely. I re-installed the software taking care to follow the directions but it still gave me very erratic responses.

The twist is that it works fine on my older '99 XK8 which uses IDS and only gets wonky when I use it on my wife's '04 XJ8 which uses SDD.

According to BD they make their own cables to essentially mimic a Mongoose and a normal OBDII cable won't work and I'm thinking that either it's substandard components, poor quality control, or a combination.

I will say that the few times I've contacted them they have responded on the first or second e-mail but it's been several months since my last contact with them.