General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Instrument panel LED Upgrade, Load resistor

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instrument panel LED Upgrade, Load resistor

I have upgraded my instrument panel light to LED's, the reasons behind doing this modification was that some of the lamp holders had overheated and melted the contact tracks on the pcb board so the only way was to replace the circuit board or solder in LED's, and they work really well with the exception of the Airbag light which comes on and then slowly starts to fade over time, so it must be holding a residual voltage, with a filament light this would quickly dissipate but LED's draw very little current and the residual current remains for much longer, which is why the light remains on longer and dims over time.

Has anyone else done this modification and had similar issues, if so what did you do to resolve it?

The lights are nice and bright and also still dimable so all is well, I could replace the airbag LED with a standard filament again but there is a way around it and its fitting a load resistor in parallel with the LED terminals, is this something that has been done before on these units and if so what resistor did you use? the old lamps are fried so I cant test then to see what they were and I don't want to take a wild guess and blow up the airbag unit or instrument panel.