General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Daimler 1932 LQ3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

A poppet valve is the mushroom type that all engines have now - in other words it's a conventional engine. They probably called it that because at that time there were sleeve valve and Corliss valve engines around. It's also around that time that time that the overhead inlet an side exhaust valve engines were around.

Love to have a look though (it'll give the XK a run!) No worries over expenses - it will be worth a lot just to see this beauty.

Does the engine turn over (by hand)? If it does I would be inclined to drain the old oil (and don't forget to put vintage mineral oil back in), lube the cylinders with WD40, and recharge the carb with new petrol, and then try to start it. It mustn't be run for long though - it will need leaded petrol to protect the exhaust valve seats.

I'm retired so weekday or weekend is fine for me. If my son isn't working that day (he's a shop manager), we can send him underneath with the camera to get some detailed pics of the chassis/axle arrangement.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimforrest (uk)
A poppet valve is the mushroom type that all engines have now - in other words it's a conventional engine. They probably called it that because at that time there were sleeve valve and Corliss valve engines around. It's also around that time that time that the overhead inlet an side exhaust valve engines were around.

Love to have a look though (it'll give the XK a run!) No worries over expenses - it will be worth a lot just to see this beauty.

Does the engine turn over (by hand)? If it does I would be inclined to drain the old oil (and don't forget to put vintage mineral oil back in), lube the cylinders with WD40, and recharge the carb with new petrol, and then try to start it. It mustn't be run for long though - it will need leaded petrol to protect the exhaust valve seats.

I'm retired so weekday or weekend is fine for me. If my son isn't working that day (he's a shop manager), we can send him underneath with the camera to get some detailed pics of the chassis/axle arrangement.
Hi Jim , re-valves, got it, tend to forget this was made when we had a king on the throne! Engine turns by hand, fully lubricated with lashings of duck oil
Great support thanks, not normally so cautious but will certainly heed your advice. As she's never been run, I intend to check valve and ign. timing, have drained all oils and sorting out starter motor and distributor. New 6 volt battery battery and exhaust down pipe being sourced and then ready for the big event. My mobile 07798637221 if you can drop me a text, much obliged yet again look forward to seeing you and your son.
Cheers
Den.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I've noted your number Den. Mine is 07788 970 764. I'm not sure when my son has a day free but I suspect it will be after next week. If you are going to start her before then drop me a text - I'd love to be there (son or not!)

Attached is the Technical Information for the Wilson Pre-select Gearbox - great read! Because these gearboxes are 'pre-select', the selector quadrant may show it's in neutral, but it can actually be in 1st. Apparently many an owner has been run over by his own car after starting it via the starting handle!

I contacted the owner of the Website http:daimlerandlanchester.com (by email). He has an LQ2 20hp (standard body whereas yours is a limousine body) - but the chassis is the same. The website has a 'Contact Me' box on it and he will clearly be useful.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wilson lube & care.pdf (1.14 MB, 374 views)
Old 03-11-2015, 03:56 PM

Ok Jim, will do and thanks for the gearbox info, this gives me lots of info, especially interested in the "kill the driver feature" how very different!!! sounds like axle stands would be a good idea for initial run. I won't start her until you are available possibly about two weeks but will give you plenty of notice though, but might be an overalls day and lots of fiddling. Coffee and tea on tap cheers and thanks a lot. Re LQ20 great stuff.
Den

Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Unhappy Loss of a good friend and active forum member

Many months and gallons of coffee have passed since I last posted, at which time I met up with Jim Forrest (see previous posts) who has been a great inspiration and sounding board for me during restoration of my 1934 Daimler project. Sadly young Jim passed away last Autumn and his passing has left a big hole, he was a truly great engineer and innovator and I would like to dedicate the success of the Daimler to him. For those who were supporting and assisting my initial requests for tech information may recall, I started on a very ambitious resto, my first Vintage project, zero data and a car (basket case) that had stood in a garage/barn for about 40 years. My aim was to drive my granddaughter to her wedding in the car which with the greatest of thanks to all, and especially Jim, I managed to achieve, with only 2 weeks to spare. I am thankful that Jim managed to see the car running but alas was too unwell to see her finally dressed for the wedding. Jim did take some video which he posted on YouTube under Daimler LQ and Lq3-20 showing initial runs, I have tried, and failed to add more than one picture of the finished car (well almost) to this post but as normal the technology has beaten me, perhaps someone could advise me how to do it. Thanks again for your support and hope you join with me to remember Jim. Cheers
Den.

Attached Thumbnails Daimler 1932 LQ3-image.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:36 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Den,

Good to hear you made it for the wedding. Sad news about Jim but pleased to hear he did get to see the Daimler running.

I've found two of his videos on YouTube:

These are titled Second and Third but I couldn't find the First.

Graham

Old 03-08-2017, 01:14 AM

Thank you Graham, yes glad Jim saw her running. Thanks for loading video, I thought the SuperMod would if anyone could.
Cheers
Den.