General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Deployed airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deployed airbags?

Hello, I am thinking about buying 2002 Jaguar X-Type. The car looks great, low mileage, everything looks good, but there is one thing that concerns me. The middle of the steering wheel is "popped" I don't know what could cause it. Can it be a sign that airbags have been deployed? It doesn't show any engine light code though.

Can it be just a minor issue, maybe just push it back? Does any of you know? I attached two pictures where you can see it.

Thank you,

David

Old 10-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe plug in the reader and see if it is seeing the airbag there.
A generic reader won't see the airbags, just the powertrain, so you will need something like the NT610 or similar to read the abs, srs and chassis codes.
It's very easy to turn the light off and hide stuff that has happened.
Definate cause for suspicion though.
Whats the owner say about it?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum David,

That airbag hasn't deployed but is clearly not seated properly so it could just be the steering wheel has been removed and not refitted correctly.

Are all the dashboard lights illuminating in the initial 'check' when the iginition is switched on?

Graham

Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Hello, thank both of you for replying. I went to see the car yesterday. All the lights went on when the ignition switch to on position. When started they switched off. The current owner told me that he bought this car a little bit over a year ago, drove it on temporary plates for a month and then not used it too much because he had a different car. Like I said the car looks really good, no signs of collision whatsoever, an interior is nice and clean. Also, there was a slight crack on the dashboard on the passenger side but it was barely visible and it has probably nothing to do with it.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Krejca
.... All the lights went on when the ignition switch to on position. When started they switched off. .....
A used car is always a gamble but this suggests the seller isn't trying to conceal anything with the electronics.

However, your concern about the airbag is definitely a good reason to push him down on the asking price.

Graham

Old 10-01-2017, 11:17 AM

I know, it's a gamble for sure haha Like I said the car looks really nice and other than this I didn't see any problem with the car. I just wonder, could this cause the car not passing the inspection?