General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dyno cant measure torque on Automatic cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Dyno cant measure torque on Automatic cars

Has anyone ever heard of a dyno that cannot get an accurate reading of torque because the car is an automatic? How does this work? I thought that the torque figures were derived from the rollers on the dyno?

I was just at Cobb Tuning to do a dyno run when the dyno operator told me that he would not be able give me an accurate torque reading (not even a good estimate) because my car was an automatic. How perplexing. I didn't get the car dyno'ed today. Does anyone know where in Dallas i can go to get my car dyno'ed?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Torque is torque no matter how it arrives at the wheel. Find a new dyno guy.

Maybe you were hoping to get crankshaft numbers vs. at the wheels numbers? Those are always a guess on chassis dynos.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, I don't know what the heck he was talking about. Kept rambling on about automatic transmissions having a torque converter. From my understanding there are two types of dyno's .... engine crank and rolling road. Maybe they just didn't want to mess with it. I don't know. Waste of a day off for me.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Ah- he was trying to explain the variable inherent losses in automatic transmission tq. converters and how this makes it impossible to correctly calculate crank horsepower from wheel horsepower.