General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Interpreting SDD readouts - Techs please help :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Interpreting SDD readouts - Techs please help :)

Managed to hook the Mongoose and SDD v131.01 to the XKR and played around with the codes it sucked out of the car. Reading through the data, I would like to get some opinions and advise from those well versed with using SDD.

1 I notice that some DTC codes include data which simply does not make sense; eg: outside temperature of 212deg C, or -40deg C; or mileage which runs into 6 digits! Oddly enough, I noticed this also on the SDD training guide screenshots, so I suppose it’s ‘normal’ for the software to interpret some of the DTC environments as such?

2 When I selected ‘Show Untested DTC’s’, I get a huge, I mean huge, list of DTCs relating to practically all the control modules in the car. The DTC’s are not dated and include no mileage and are marked by the usual ‘Chain’ with a Question mark on them. Are these of concern? What exactly are these ‘Untested DTC’s’?

3 Is it common practice to delete DTC codes once faults are rectified or when these show up as ‘historic’ or is it good practice to leave them there so that one can have some forensic clues in case of any future faults?

4 If a ‘Permanent’ DTC is deleted, and the fault is still there, will it reappear (I know it sounds a stupid question, but I don’t think the answer’s obvious J)

Anyone interested, I can send you the full read out for further analysis; just PM me.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by ejjbee
Managed to hook the Mongoose and SDD v131.01 to the XKR and played around with the codes it sucked out of the car. Reading through the data, I would like to get some opinions and advise from those well versed with using SDD.

1 I notice that some DTC codes include data which simply does not make sense; eg: outside temperature of 212deg C, or -40deg C; or mileage which runs into 6 digits! Oddly enough, I noticed this also on the SDD training guide screenshots, so I suppose it’s ‘normal’ for the software to interpret some of the DTC environments as such?

2 When I selected ‘Show Untested DTC’s’, I get a huge, I mean huge, list of DTCs relating to practically all the control modules in the car. The DTC’s are not dated and include no mileage and are marked by the usual ‘Chain’ with a Question mark on them. Are these of concern? What exactly are these ‘Untested DTC’s’?

3 Is it common practice to delete DTC codes once faults are rectified or when these show up as ‘historic’ or is it good practice to leave them there so that one can have some forensic clues in case of any future faults?

4 If a ‘Permanent’ DTC is deleted, and the fault is still there, will it reappear (I know it sounds a stupid question, but I don’t think the answer’s obvious J)

Anyone interested, I can send you the full read out for further analysis; just PM me.
1. Just ignore the seemingly illogical data. If the data is plausible, it can give you something to go on. Some faults can be set at an instant before all modules are up, synchronized and talking to each other straight. If that happens, it doesn't have all the correct data, timestamp or mileage to display. Consequently you get jibberish.

2. Forget about "untested DTC's". They are not relevant to you as a user of SDD. They basically list EVERY DTC available on that system, and the list also relates to functions called On Demand Self Tests, ODST. Not something for you to be messing with.

3. Yes. The idea is to diagnose, make the repair, clear the logged faults and then run the appropriate drive cycle. That makes the system run the component monitor for the fault you repaired. If it's in fact fixed, no more code. If not, the code will again show up as pending, and show as permanent on the 2nd run of the component monitor.

4. See #3.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 12-01-2012 at 09:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
ejjbee (12-02-2012), meirion1 (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Steve! I suppose Internet-age Jags leak data instead of oil , so I'll have to live with them; I'll have a stab at clearing them once I get more familiarised with the software.

Things are getting clearer, but I need more time to get the confidence I need to be dealer-independent

Cheers!

Andrew

Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have just started using V131 JLR and after reading all the DTC info on the timeline etc I can't see any options at all to clear the DTC's.

I downloaded and read the SDD user guide but it doesn't state where to clear the DTC's so im thinking it should be obvious?!

Im a user of Peugeot Diagbox and BMW DIS (which isn't easy to master) and fine I can read/diagnose/clear but just can't fathom JLR

I have also spent hours on the net without avail !

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightnin
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have just started using V131 JLR and after reading all the DTC info on the timeline etc I can't see any options at all to clear the DTC's.

I downloaded and read the SDD user guide but it doesn't state where to clear the DTC's so im thinking it should be obvious?!

Im a user of Peugeot Diagbox and BMW DIS (which isn't easy to master) and fine I can read/diagnose/clear but just can't fathom JLR

I have also spent hours on the net without avail !

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Under the 'Recommendations' tab, scroll down the page to the selection:

"Complete Vehicle -- Clear all Diagnostic Fault Codes"

After clearing, the codes will STILL be seen under the 'Related' and 'Unrelated' tabs until you select 'Re-read Fault Codes' or go back to the Sessions tab and refresh the Data Collection.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Lightnin (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

You , my friend , are a bloody super star !