General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SDD to enable features/modules (MY08 XKR 4.2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts
Default SDD to enable features/modules (MY08 XKR 4.2)

I installed a heated steering wheel and the associated control module in my MY08 X150 XKR yesterday and I gather this requires activating/enabling with SDD. I have SDD 142 installed on a WinXP VM on my laptop which appears to work but I haven't tried connecting it to the car yet. Can anyone point me in the general direction (beyond connecting it to the car obviously) I need to look to find whatever setting needs updated to enable this feature in my car please?

If it's a case of reading the manuals then can someone suggest where to get said manual please, as I don't think my cable and software came with any such thing...

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Here you are, you should be able to download from this site;
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x6nmqy...l+02_02_12.pdf

Whatever you do make sure you connect a power supply to your battery whenever the IDS/SDD is connected to your vehicle. If you don't bad things can happen. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:48 AM

Thanks very much, I'll grab a copy now.

When you say "connect a power supply to your battery", is that really necessary if just connecting for a few minutes to enable the feature in question? If so then what do I need - something like a CTek battery conditioner?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

No the CTek won't do. Yes it's necessary. Myself and possibly others on this forum have tried it without the power supply and experienced "low Voltage" failures. I was lucky in that I was able to eventually recover from the failure. However some have had to have modules replaced and reprogrammed by the dealer, at great expense.

The power supply recommended by Jaguar is the "Midtronics PSC-550". This is the one I have, but others have used a different supply. The point is to maintain a constant voltage level while connected to the SDD.

Here is a link to the one another Forum Member used:http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib...duct_Guide.pdf

And the one Jaguar recommends;

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar TSB SSD power supply.pdf (132.3 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by joeleerj; 04-08-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Another car with 'jumper-cables' can be used in a pinch. The point is to NOT let the modules stop communicating because of low voltage.

bob

Old 04-09-2017, 03:44 AM

OK, thanks for the warning/advice. Just checked and the cost of one of those is likely to be far more than a trip to a garage with the required equipment and software so I'll pursue that route as this will probably be the only time I'd be likely to use it.