General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Searching for IDS/SSD info on early XK8

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve4ltr
After loading it up I plugged in the Mongoose cable and got a green flashing light from it. Encouraging I thought, so I entered the VIN number of my 97 XK and it recognised the car and showed a list of what the car left the factory with, so, on the face of it, it looks like its workig. The big test will be when its plugged up to the car when I've put it all back together. Still looking for a suitable power supply so that will be the next job. I'll keep you informed. S
Hello,
You don't need a power supply for the battery to simply read errors. Only when describing modules. But the battery should generally be healthy.
I also had an XK8 convertible and IDS/SDD for many years. Works flawlessly. IDS will start on your XK.
Greetings Willi

Old 02-11-2024, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

No my V163 does NOT require a connection to Jaguars servers. None at all?
Of course it's a hacked version? How do think it works if it's not?

Are you paying the $20/hour for Topix? I tried that but it just eats money as you won't use it enough to pay for the high cost.
I have a free DIY setup. That is the only way a DIY guy can make this work. Too much expense otherwise.

Again be careful recommending the use of battery chargers. Jaguar makes a big deal out using a DC power supply with low ripple. After my experiences. I believe them.
Way to many back yard experts running SDD with battery chargers. You will run into a mess sooner or later.

That's why I recommend using a DC power supply and I use the Iota DLS-55. I did start with a battery charger and it will work. Until it does not.
There are many threads where SDD has gone wrong and nobody can figure out why? Then you find a battery charger has been used and they claim the car is at 13VDC so all is well. No it's not. You MUST have a low ripple DC power supply.

I have learned thru hard experience that SDD is picky!

Old 02-11-2024, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
our discussion is going in the wrong direction. IDS/SDD works up to version 131.xx without a mandatory internet connection. Although it wants an online connection, you have to and can cancel it. I'm talking about the original software version, installed on an old Dell notebook, for example. And this version only runs on Windows XP Prof 32bit in English. For SDD operation, the date must be reset every time you start (e.g. January 1st, 2012 via date.bat). Otherwise, SDD requires an internet connection after 30 days and then you can set up the software again.
Of course, the installation can also be done on a VM. But why VM? You can only get problems (e.g. USB). I experimented a lot and know someone who was involved in the development and further development.
With hacked versions the world clearly looks different.
About the power supply: The Ctek 25Pro delivers 25 amps and has a maintenance mode to step in if the (car) battery collapses. 25Ah is sufficient for vehicles up to around 2002/2003. Jaguar specifies 50AH for later vehicles. No power supply fuse is required for reading.
But everyone should do as they want. Everyone has to know for themselves whether a higher version (and therefore cracked) is necessary. There were no real innovations for a vehicle until around 2006.
I prefer to work with the original 131 version, which is also available for download.
Greetings, Willi